The Gear Thread

They're both good imo. I bought the NS2 for I found a nice deal and it also has an effects loop.

But, of course, the decimator is the superior pedal overall. Go for it.

As for the DI pedals, I thought that demo was pretty good just like the pedal itself.

I just wanted to add that even budget DI's can become grinding tonehammers with the right mod. Of course, sometimes said mod will cost as much as the finest boutique effect.

So.............

Sold my Marshall 1959 for 166% of what I paid for it on a new musical instruments specific trading website I heard about..... found a used Decimator in perfect condition for $60... and will be picking up an early 80's 4010 JCM 800 combo. So I get a 2204 head + a vintage V30 (for less than the price most 2203/2204 heads go for!).

:shades:

It's a good time for gear in the Bradley household.

EDIT: Gah, spoke to soon on the 800, looks like someone got to it first. Oh well.

EDIT 2: Found a 2204 head for about the same price as the combo. Think I might snag it. :shades:

Edited by OmarBradley

Sorry! I've always been a Fender and Orange guy!

Marshalls are classic though! Did you get the 2204?

Discussing logistics with the seller, looking like I'll be picking it up this weekend. *fingers crossed. He's a bit far away, so I gotta find time to do the drive.

Got it :). Great condition for a 1983. Pictures will come later, maybe sound sound clips in a few days. Not so sure about the tubes in it.... Sovtek 34's, two Groove 12AX7's, and an unidentified 12AX7. I usually like Winged C 34's, and EH 12AX7's. Will probably get some, but I'll see how the head sounds first.

I have a Fender Blues DeVille that had the original Sovteks in it. When I changed to Grooves, I realized why people buy tube amps.

Yeah, a lot of people don't realize that the tubes really matter in how an amp sounds. I actually don't know if I like the Groove pre-amp tubes, and I don't think I like the Sovtek power tubes, some Winged C and EH will do the trick.

Congratulations, knock yourself out. Are you planning to make its debut on the grand prix?

I'm going to judge since I'm running it, I think it's a bit in bad form for me to compete. I may just do a demo vid/soundclip of it anyway just to hear what it's like recorded. Won't be competing though (because obviously I'D WIN :P )

I have a Fender Blues DeVille that had the original Sovteks in it. When I changed to Grooves, I realized why people buy tube amps.

Yeah, a lot of people don't realize that the tubes really matter in how an amp sounds. I actually don't know if I like the Groove pre-amp tubes, and I don't think I like the Sovtek power tubes, some Winged C and EH will do the trick.

Congratulations, knock yourself out. Are you planning to make its debut on the grand prix?

I'm going to judge since I'm running it, I think it's a bit in bad form for me to compete. I may just do a demo vid/soundclip of it anyway just to hear what it's like recorded. Won't be competing though (because obviously I'D WIN :P )

COMPETE!!!!

Was drunk.... so I bought JJ EL34's and Winged C EL34's...... guess I'll find out which I like better at least, maybe sell the others.

Anyway, thinking I'm gonna do an EH 12AX7 in V1, then a JJ ECC83 in V2, and finish it out with another EH in V3 - all balanced triodes and high gain. Should be killer, will hopefully have the whole rig up an running (with my new Boss OD2 from the mid-80s!) late next week.

Was drunk.... so I bought JJ EL34's and Winged C EL34's...... guess I'll find out which I like better at least, maybe sell the others.

Anyway, thinking I'm gonna do an EH 12AX7 in V1, then a JJ ECC83 in V2, and finish it out with another EH in V3 - all balanced triodes and high gain. Should be killer, will hopefully have the whole rig up an running (with my new Boss OD2 from the mid-80s!) late next week.

Nice! I was actually drunk when I made the decision to buy my amp and guitar. Alcohol can be awesome

Why? Because you can change your tubes if you don't like the stock one? I'm really curious now, since I never owned one...

Sad to hear that, was looking forward to listen to your demo. Oh, well...

• 2 weeks later...

I've bought so many guitars drinking and browsing eBay.

Nice! I was actually drunk when I made the decision to buy my amp and guitar. Alcohol can be awesome

Edited by AxlisOld

Alright finally got all of this organized. Got 3 clips:

First is the JCM 800 with the tubes that it came with: Sovtek EL34's, and 2 Groove 12AX7's and a Sovtek 12AX7.

Second is the JCM 800 with the tubes I got for it: Winged C EL34's, and 2 Electro Harmonix 12AX7's and a JJ ECC83.

The third is the EVH 5150 III 50 watt head, stock. (Unbeknownst to me, it was actually at a good recording volume for the first 45 seconds or so, unfortunately, you'll hear that I turned the MV up.)

An ISP Decimator was used for all of the recordings. A Boss GE-7 was used for both JCM 800 recordings, and a Boss OD-2 was used for the JCM 800 recording with the newer tubes (just got the pedal :P). I have a Crybaby Classic.... that I forgot to use.

The Decimator was pretty much on the whole time, the EQ most of the time, and the OD2 was on about 65% of the time. The very beginning of the Winged C/EH tubed 2204 recording is with no pedals engaged, amp's natural sound.

All recordings were with a Marshall 1961B cab (4x12 shaped, but only two diagonal speakers), Celestion CL80 on top, and Celestion V30 on bottom. Recorded with a Tascam handheld recorder (there's some recording distortion, these amps are loud :headbang:).

Also, I'm an idiot, I put the recorder about 7.5ft from the speaker cab in an attempt to minimize extra distortion..... I then stood between the mic and the speakers for most of the recording...... so you can hear some of the recordings (especially the second JCM 800 one) being muffled, and then un-muffled...... :facepalm: it almost sounds like a natural phaser :lol:.

Rig pic:

rig.jpg

And as always, I used AxlIsOld's favorite guitar for all 3 of the recordings.

• Like 1

What year is that? Looks like early 80's?

2001, it's a '68 reissue, with some upgrades.

:drool:

I love Customs.

What a beauty. Sick playing, btw.

Yup, amps come and go for me, but this guitar always stays, and always will. Though I have a feeling the EVH and the JCM800 aren't going anywhere for a while....

Just traded my attenuator (seeing as I don't have a JMP any more, I figured why keep it around - can always get another one as they are much cheaper now than when I bought it back in '09) for two pedals and some cash. A Sonic Stomp, and a Keeley modded DS1, I'm excited to try them out.