The Gear Thread

Grrrrr I missed an amazing opportunity this morning.

I woke up a bit earlier than usual because I wasn't feeling great, so I stayed in bed and scrolled through the Reverb.com app on my phone.... I see a 2014 Gibson LP Traditional, for $900. That can't be right? Well I did some looking at the pictures and at least the guitar in the pictures on the ad were indeed of a genuine Gibson. So I immediately did "Buy it now" instead of making an offer. All good, going through Reverb.com checkout, get to PayPal, log in to PayPal, all good. Hit "Confirm." BAM, error message. I try again, same error message, general message saying "error with transaction." So I try to buy a pack of strings using same method, no problem.

So I message the guy saying, "hey I'd like to pay full price, but I think there's something wrong with your PayPal." I put my phone down to shower. Got out of the shower, he had responded, "I fixed it now, it was due to my PP account's limit, I lowered the asking price to $850." So I'm going ballistic because a $900($850 + $50 shipping) LP Trad is a steal...... can't find the listing. Searching, searching, searching, can't find it. Eventually find the link to it from my history, it sold! In the few minutes between when he fixed his PP and I was in the shower. Fucking hell, biggest disappointment I've had in a while. lol

Yeah it's looking like this turned out to be a scam..... the seller's Reverb account has been disabled and the listing has changed from "Sold" to "Ended." Well I guess that was a serendipitous shower. Always figured it coulda been a scam, but PayPal has such good buyer protection/reimbursement that I wasn't too concerned with that.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings fellow gear heads. I've got a question I'm hoping someone here can help me with. I've got a 1963 Fender Duo-Sonic that I'm trying to find out the value of. I always knew it was worth something because of its age alone. But I recently took it to get serviced and everyone at the Guitar Center was drooling all over it. So I only recently found out how special it was. The guys at the shop said it might be worth around $2000. But by their own accounts, that was just an educated guess. So does anyone know of any websites that will appraise the guitar for me? I definitely want to know what it's really worth before I sell it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings fellow gear heads. I've got a question I'm hoping someone here can help me with. I've got a 1963 Fender Duo-Sonic that I'm trying to find out the value of. I always knew it was worth something because of its age alone. But I recently took it to get serviced and everyone at the Guitar Center was drooling all over it. So I only recently found out how special it was. The guys at the shop said it might be worth around $2000. But by their own accounts, that was just an educated guess. So does anyone know of any websites that will appraise the guitar for me? I definitely want to know what it's really worth before I sell it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Remember to check for finished auctions on eBay. Current auctions are asking prices.

Edited by Hell House

• 1 month later...

That is a shitload to drop on an acoustic guitar! Is that your main thing? Maybe if it is your primary instrument then it is worth the investment.

Just got some monitors (Presonus Eris E5), a cab (Orange PPC112) and a mic (Rode NT2-A) myself, very happy with them! Thinking about an Egnater Rebel 30 head as well......

Edited by SoundOfAGun
  • Like 1

On 2/3/2016 at 0:31 PM, JeanGenie said:

Not a lot going on this thread. Im thinking about buying a Gibson J-15. I think it's quite a bang for the buck.  What do you think?

Glad the thread is back!

The J15 is a great guitar, I love the walnut. It sounds brighter than a normal Gibson, though. If you are ok with the sound then it is definitely a quality instrument. The J35 is also a great alternative for the more traditional Gibson sound

• Like 1

That PRS SE Fredrik Akesson signature I mentioned a few months ago is the dog's bollocks. Thick Les Paul tones and supreme playability with the jumbo frets, 24.5" scale and deep cutaway.

I learned some Opeth on it, but it does stuff like Foreigner or GN'R like it was built for it. Almost want to get a Mikael Akerfeldt signature too, lol.

On 11.2.2016 at 2:24 AM, ZoSoRose said:

Glad the thread is back!

The J15 is a great guitar, I love the walnut. It sounds brighter than a normal Gibson, though. If you are ok with the sound then it is definitely a quality instrument. The J35 is also a great alternative for the more traditional Gibson sound

Hey thanks for the response. The j35 is great but expansive. Im now deciding between the Gibson J15 and the Martin GPCPA4. Thats an awesome sounding guitar. 

On 10.2.2016 at 10:31 PM, SoundOfAGun said:

That is a shitload to drop on an acoustic guitar! Is that your main thing? Maybe if it is your primary instrument then it is worth the investment.

Just got some monitors (Presonus Eris E5), a cab (Orange PPC112) and a mic (Rode NT2-A) myself, very happy with them! Thinking about an Egnater Rebel 30 head as well......

Hey I didnt see your post sorry. No I usually play a gibson les paul r9 but during the week I play mostly a shitty acoustic guitar.  I dont want to spend so much money on a guitar but I want an all solid guitar. These guitars are usually pretty expansive. You know playing guitar .... thats my thing.  So Im not compromising within certain limits. I used to play professionally but got seriously sick last year.  Took me a year to recover. In that time I couldnt play guitar because my left hand was damaged. So this is sort of a comeback for me.

Fair enough man! If you have the cash then get stuck in! I know about playing shitty acoustics; I write most of my stuff on a Yamaha that has seen much better days.

I don't really know what the "R" Gibson Les Pauls are, I know they are something special, but that is where my knowledge ends! I play a 2004 Gibson Les Paul Standard and I am 85% happy with the tone through a Blackstar HT-5 and an Orange 1x12 cab. That is the reason for my pickup question, although it may be that I just need an amp with more balls......

R9 means 1959 les paul standard custom shop. At least thats the guitar I have. A long time I played a Peavy Triple X which has a lot power. Now Im looking more for an orange sort of sound. But thats gonna take some time till i get one. I don't know these pickups I like the burstbucker pro sound though. Maybe you should check out some amps.

On 2/11/2016 at 2:25 PM, SoundOfAGun said:

Anyone swapped out burstbucker pros from a Gibson Les Paul for a set of Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz?

I like the Burstbucker Pro and Burstbuckers II and III better than the first/regular one. But vs. a JB, I say keep the BB in. Everyone's ears are different though....

I haven't done a gear update in a while, will make a post tomorrow.

On 2/13/2016 at 7:52 PM, SoundOfAGun said:

Fair enough man! If you have the cash then get stuck in! I know about playing shitty acoustics; I write most of my stuff on a Yamaha that has seen much better days.

I don't really know what the "R" Gibson Les Pauls are, I know they are something special, but that is where my knowledge ends! I play a 2004 Gibson Les Paul Standard and I am 85% happy with the tone through a Blackstar HT-5 and an Orange 1x12 cab. That is the reason for my pickup question, although it may be that I just need an amp with more balls......

Try putting a TS9/boost/EQ in front? That may gives you the balls you want. Blackstar's HT Metal series also has more "balls" than the regular stuff if you're digging the Blackstar tone. I played the 100 watt Metal and it was very good.

4 hours ago, OmarBradley said:

Try putting a TS9/boost/EQ in front? That may gives you the balls you want. Blackstar's HT Metal series also has more "balls" than the regular stuff if you're digging the Blackstar tone. I played the 100 watt Metal and it was very good.

I have an EQ in the loop which does shape the tone quite well, my understanding of a TS9 is that it is a solid state circuit that pushes a valve into break up, but the HT-5 already has circuits before the pre-amp valve which are doing something similar. I may be wrong on this though. Thanks for the info on the pickups, it is hard to gauge it without dropping the pickups into my guitar, which I wouldn't want to do until I was sure about them. I watched the video for the new Marshall 2525 yesterday, that sounds like it can solve all my tone issues!

• 2 months later...

OK, it is new amp time and I have my eye on the Marshall DSL40C, has anyone on here got one and if so, how do they find it? I have played a couple in guitar shops, but would like any opinions from people who have owned the amp.

I will be running it through an Orange 1x12 with a V30, but may also use the stock speaker on occasion. 

Thanks!

On 4/24/2016 at 0:29 PM, SoundOfAGun said:

OK, it is new amp time and I have my eye on the Marshall DSL40C, has anyone on here got one and if so, how do they find it? I have played a couple in guitar shops, but would like any opinions from people who have owned the amp.

I will be running it through an Orange 1x12 with a V30, but may also use the stock speaker on occasion. 

Thanks!

I played one once, I remember liking it, but I don't remember much after that. I played it completely stock (no speaker change), no pedals, with a LP Standard, or maybe it was a Traditional? Don't exactly recall, it was a few years ago in a Guitar Center.

They're supposed to be very good amps, albeit being made in China, or Vietnam - can't remember that either :lol:.

Not a very helpful answer for you, but if you saw a good deal ($450 or less), I'd go for it. It should be pretty killer with the 1x12 V30 cab. People seem to think the 65W Creamback is the best match for the DSL40C, but YMMV.