Jump to content

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, SoundOfAGun said:

You'll get there man; I played an Epiphone Less Paul studio until I was 24. I got my Gibson and Marshall half stack with a loan from the bank, best £2500 I ever spent! I'll post a clip soon, I recorded something, but need to arrange it etc.

I'm considering heavily buying a Gibson LP 1950's Tribute soon, and one of those compact/tiny Marshall amps (can't remember the name,but @Snake-Pit owns onr)

Edited by AslatIE
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Got this in the mail today, Gibson Les Paul 2017 Tribute T Goldtop. Sounds fucking great to put it mildly

Wow Fortus has gone from an Izzy lookalike to morphing into Malcom Young. 

I will try and record a quick sound demo next week! I am going camping this weekend so I only got about an hour total of play time on it so far. It almost feels too nice for me and it has some modern

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, AslatIE said:

I'm considering heavily buying a Gibson LP 1950's Tribute soon, and one of those compact/tiny Marshall amps (can't remember the name,but @Snake-Pit owns onr)

Are they the £500-600 models? If so, they look pretty nice. Any marshall valve amp will be a nice upgrade, the 5 watt is meant to be pretty sweet. I have the DSL40C and it is a beast, but sounds good at lower volumes. 

Edited by SoundOfAGun
My phone is a cunt
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SoundOfAGun said:

Are they the £500-600 models? If so, they look pretty nice. Any marshall valve amp will be a nice upgrade, the 5 watt is meant to be pretty sweet. I have the DSL40C and it is a beast, but sounds good at lower volumes. 

I think so.

My dream is to own a JCM800 and a Plexi, but so far the 500£ models seem like my best shot at owning a Marshall.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, AslatIE said:

I think so.

My dream is to own a JCM800 and a Plexi, but so far the 500£ models seem like my best shot at owning a Marshall.

You need to have the space to wind a plexi up of you want to keep your hearing! 800s are kind of the same deal, depending on the model. My next amp is going to be the JVM 410h with a 1960bx cab.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, SoundOfAGun said:

You need to have the space to wind a plexi up of you want to keep your hearing! 800s are kind of the same deal, depending on the model. My next amp is going to be the JVM 410h with a 1960bx cab.

A JVM model is also a dream, but not as much as a JCM and Plexi.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AslatIE said:

I'm considering heavily buying a Gibson LP 1950's Tribute soon, and one of those compact/tiny Marshall amps (can't remember the name,but @Snake-Pit owns onr)

I have a rare Marshall SL-5 Slash signatur amp, one of 10 they ever made... It's not a mini amp.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, James Bond said:

I prefer higher output pickups personally, but the Slash pickups are great. It's impossible to get a bad tone out of them.

I took ages to make my decision and I am pleased with what I went for. It was between them and the JB/Jazz and it was a close call. I got to play the guitar through a JCM 900 and 1960s A cab in the shop when I picked it up and they let me have the volume pretty high, I nearly dropped £650 on the head and cab there and then, it properly roared!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SoundOfAGun said:

I took ages to make my decision and I am pleased with what I went for. It was between them and the JB/Jazz and it was a close call. I got to play the guitar through a JCM 900 and 1960s A cab in the shop when I picked it up and they let me have the volume pretty high, I nearly dropped £650 on the head and cab there and then, it properly roared!

The 900s don't get enough credit sometimes. Granted, I'm an 800 person myself, but if you dig the Marshall sound and want a bit more bite and gain, then the 900 is where it's at. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, James Bond said:

The 900s don't get enough credit sometimes. Granted, I'm an 800 person myself, but if you dig the Marshall sound and want a bit more bite and gain, then the 900 is where it's at. 

 

Completely agree, they have diode clipping in the circuit, which is vilified by the corksniffer elite, yet praised in the Silver Jubilee! Hypocritical motherfuckers. I used to play through a 900 and 1960b for band practice for years before I got my JCM 2000; they are great amps. 

Edited by SoundOfAGun
Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, SoundOfAGun said:

Completely agree, they have diode clipping in the circuit, which is vilified by the corksniffer elite, yet praised in the Silver Jubilee! Hypocritical motherfuckers. I used to play through a 900 and 1960b for band practice for years before I got my JCM 2000; they are great amps. 

"Corksniffer elite" is a fantastic term. :lol:

You're right on the money.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally got a chance to track a short demo of the new pickups, very happy with them! Excuse the shit quality of Soundcloud's streaming; you can download the MP3 for a better version.

 

Edited by SoundOfAGun
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Went and put a deposit down on a Mesa Dual Rectifier yesterday, used but at less than half price i couldn't resist. On a cool little side note while testing out the clean channel i started playing Nutshell by AIC and the store employee started singing along, had a great voice!

Edited by Silverburst80
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

My latest musical purchase:

jd-xa_dr_gal.jpg

What a terrific piece of machinery and built like a tank too. It looks intimidating at first, but all the controls are exactly where they need to be. It's almost stupidly user friendly so I find myself overthinking some of the tweaking as I continue to learn it. Good thing I printed off the PDF manuals. :lol:

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, James Bond said:

My latest musical purchase:

jd-xa_dr_gal.jpg

What a terrific piece of machinery and built like a tank too. It looks intimidating at first, but all the controls are exactly where they need to be. It's almost stupidly user friendly so I find myself overthinking some of the tweaking as I continue to learn it. Good thing I printed off the PDF manuals. :lol:

ohhhhhh niiiiiiice :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

FINALLY bought a pedal for heavy shit and a pedal board. Been talking about it for years!

Got a rare fuzz box, a Prescription Electronics Yardbox. I can get modern hard rock sounds out of it all the way to classic 60s fuzz and lots in between! I can even get it to sound like old Marshall Plexis.

Went to the store and spent a ton of time playing different ODs, distortions, and Fuzz pedals. I liked a bunch but didn't have any "must haves". Was about to buy the Catalinbread Katzenkönig when the sales guy mentioned one used pedal (the Yardbox) they had that was really cool. I figured what the hell, and tried it. Fell in love and had to have it. Apparently Prescription Electronics has been around since at least the early-mid 90s, but seems to have gone defunct in the past few years. I am assuming my pedal is a newer one, as it has a LED indicator. Anyways, it is amazing. I can get the near exact tone to the start of the Chinese Democracy riff or the almost exact tone to many of the songs on Led Zeppelin I or II. Plus lots of other unique sounds! Can't wait to use it at band practice this week. Got it for only $125. Great deal.

Also scored a Pedaltrain 2 board AND a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2 for only $100. That's like a $300+ deal. I left all my other pedals at my bassist's house so I will put my board together Tuesday and post a pic then.

Very successful weekend for gear.

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm thinking of getting a multi-effects unit in exchange for my beloved pedalboard. I wrote them off for years, preferring to use stomp boxes with my logic always being that I can see and adjust the settings right in front of me without need to create and store patches and whatnot. However, being that I no longer gig regularly it seems quite redundant to have this big pedalboard and play the dancing game on top of them.

I'm a huge fan of Boss/Roland products so I'll be looking at the GT series. The nice thing about them is it's super easy to bypass the pre-amp and amp simulators to use simply the effects which is exactly what I desire. The GT-5 in particular has my eye, despite being older, since it still used analog processors for the overdrive effects which is preferable.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you better go with a more pro device like a TC Electronic G System pedal or G Major II rack midi controllable , or Strymon or Eventide ,  that's what top players like you use .

I bought myself a TC Electronic G Major II and have been building myself a midi pedal controller with software done by me as well ,  which is almost done.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Klay said:

I think you better go with a more pro device like a TC Electronic G System pedal or G Major II rack midi controllable , or Strymon or Eventide ,  that's what top players like you use .

I bought myself a TC Electronic G Major II and have been building myself a midi pedal controller with software done by me as well ,  which is almost done.

I do like the TC stuff, but I'm just stupidly loyal to Boss/Roland products. :lol:

I half thought about running a MIDI controller with the stomp boxes to alleviate some of the dancing, but in a practical sense that would negate the whole downsizing thing!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...