The Gear Thread

2 hours ago, James Bond said:

I've never bonded with PRS and I'm not really sure why. They play great and the price/quality ratio is high, but something about them just isn't me.

That's pretty cool actually! Retro and functional.

It is. Saw it on this video:

And I agree about PRS. I think it's more about the looks though.

13 hours ago, James Bond said:

I've never bonded with PRS and I'm not really sure why. They play great and the price/quality ratio is high, but something about them just isn't me.

That's pretty cool actually! Retro and functional.

I was always an indifferent admirer of them, had a go on a Custom 24 in a guitar shop a couple of years ago and have been after one ever since. The coil split makes it really versatile as well. Got my Les Paul bases covered, so this will fill in the gaps nicely I think.

I wouldn't necessarily consider myself a Gibson snob, but admittedly I have trouble bonding with other brands outside of them and Epiphone. Even at that, I'm incredibly picky on shape and colour. That Les Paul better not have a pick guard but the SG needs one. But not that bat wing one - the sixties half pickguard. I'm a hot mess.

14 hours ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

I decided to not get a new les paul.  I am gonna get the helix. But I have a fender mustang gt can I use the helix with the mustang as an output? I got a setting with the mustang being a preamp and cab modeling turned off so its just a clean signal 

Yes you can. If there is an effects loop, you should bypass the amp's preamp and use the poweramp

I personally bought a FRFR speaker for my Helix because I like cab modeling/IRs. I purchased the Headrush 212. It is plenty loud for jams, reversals, and small to medium club shows. For bigger shows, I go direct into the PA and either use the Headrush or house equipment for stage volume. 

Since none of us will be playing gigs for the next few months, studio monitors are a good home purchase instead.

1 minute ago, ZoSoRose said:

Yes you can. If there is an effects loop, you should bypass the amp's preamp and use the poweramp

I personally bought a FRFR speaker for my Helix because I like cab modeling/IRs. I purchased the Headrush 212. It is plenty loud for jams, reversals, and small to medium club shows. For bigger shows, I go direct into the PA and either use the Headrush or house equipment for stage volume. 

Since none of us will be playing gigs for the next few months, studio monitors are a good home purchase instead.

The mustang has no effects loop but there is a setting in which you can turn the cab modeling off and just use a clean preamp. I am mostly a recording musician I don't play live because I don't have the time.

2 minutes ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

The mustang has no effects loop but there is a setting in which you can turn the cab modeling off and just use a clean preamp. I am mostly a recording musician I don't play live because I don't have the time.

It would sound decent enough then. I still suggest getting monitors though

If finances are a concern, its worth looking into the HX Stomp, Helix LT, and Pod Go. You can save a lot of money depending on what your needs are.

Helix LT- Same sounds and musical capability as the full version. Different construction, no scribble strips, and a few less inputs and outputs. You could save 500 bucks getting thos instead if you don't need what you are missing. This is what I have.

HX Stomp- Same amps and effects and signal flexibility but in a small, pedal board sized unit. Only has 6 blocks, though, but will be imcreased to 8 with the next update.

POD Go- Newest and cheapest piece of gear with Helix amps and effects. Despite being labled a POD product, it has almost all the exact same amps and effects aside from a very few. Has a more fixed signal chain but still allows a lot of flexibility. It has the same tones as the Helix line, but is labled POD because of the signal chain and because it wont follow HX updates. I probably would have gotten this if it existed 2 years ago.

There is also the HX Effects which is just the effects, sounds like you want amps though. Helix Native is also offered and can be had at a good price with some sales sometimes. That's the software only version.

Anyways, instead of getting the full thing, you should look into those products and maybe monitors or an FRFR. Or you can even get a POD Go and a Led Paul if you were inclined. Lots of options with Line 6. If you want the full version, its also an awesome unit

Edited by ZoSoRose

3 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

If finances are a concern, its worth looking into the HX Stomp, Helix LT, and Pod Go. You can save a lot of money depending on what your needs are.

Helix LT- Same sounds and musical capability as the full version. Different construction, no scribble strips, and a few less inputs and outputs. You could save 500 bucks getting thos instead if you don't need what you are missing. This is what I have.

HX Stomp- Same amps and effects and signal flexibility but in a small, pedal board sized unit. Only has 6 blocks, though, but will be imcreased to 8 with the next update.

POD Go- Newest and cheapest piece of gear with Helix amps and effects. Despite being labled a POD product, it bas almost all the exact same amps and effects aside from a very few. Has a more fixed signal chain but still allows a lot of flexibility. It has the same tones as the Helix line, but is labled POD because of the signal chain and because it wont follow HX updates. I probably would have gotten this if it existed 2 years ago.

There is also the HX Effects which is just the effects, sounds like you want amps though. Helix Native is also offered and can be had at a good price with some sales sometimes. That's the software only version.

Anyways, instead of getting the full thing, you should look into those products and maybe monitors or an FRFR. Or you can even get a POD Go and a Led Paul if you were inclined. Lots of options with Line 6. If you want the full version, its also an awesome unit

Appreciate it. I did some research and is it turns out the 2x12 speaker in my Mustang is a FRFR speaker so I can just use the preamp as a clean power. set eq flat and adjust the volume as needed. Should work for now

Edited by Gibsonfender2323
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

Appreciate it. I did some research and is it turns out the 2x12 speaker in my Mustang is a FRFR speaker so I can just use the preamp as a clean power. set eq flat and adjust the volume as needed. Should work for now

Very nice. Add the LA compressor after the amp block and lower the peak reduction. Opens up the amp really well

As far as modeling technology has come, I just can't get into it. A big part of that is that I'm just a "set it and leave it" type of player, so creating all kinds of patches just doesn't appeal to me. It'd almost be a waste of technology in my hands since I'd basically just find the JCM 800 setting and leave it be. That's why I ended up ditching most of my pedals too because most of the time I'm just guitar into amp. I'm more into the lunchboxes and lower wattage tube amps these days. The Jubilee sounds fantastic at bedroom levels.

15 minutes ago, James Bond said:

As far as modeling technology has come, I just can't get into it. A big part of that is that I'm just a "set it and leave it" type of player, so creating all kinds of patches just doesn't appeal to me. It'd almost be a waste of technology in my hands since I'd basically just find the JCM 800 setting and leave it be. That's why I ended up ditching most of my pedals too because most of the time I'm just guitar into amp. I'm more into the lunchboxes and lower wattage tube amps these days. The Jubilee sounds fantastic at bedroom levels.

For me, I use modeling mainly for the amps I barely use the effects only the ones I don't have like(Flanger, Phaser, pitch.Octave). I don't want to have to spend thousands on 30 different tube amps. For me mustang has. 30 amps and my main setting is a Jubliee Rythym and no affects I just roll my volume down on my guitar to clean up which modelers due really well.(Don't hate me) If I switch to my fingers you get that diffrence) 

Basically my setup is like this 

The main tone is a Jubilee patch with effects coming from my pedals 

If I need to go vintage or strat type I use the fender 57 twin patch.

Gilmour style is a Hiwatt  with added fuzz effects phaser etc  which I don't have  and don't want to buy 

The really aggressive patch is the Messa Dual Rec.

i also need modelers for recording because I can create a micd up guitarnd go straight into my computer and eq etc 

Edited by Gibsonfender2323

2 hours ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

For me, I use modeling mainly for the amps I barely use the effects only the ones I don't have like(Flanger, Phaser, pitch.Octave). I don't want to have to spend thousands on 30 different tube amps. For me mustang has. 30 amps and my main setting is a Jubliee Rythym and no affects I just roll my volume down on my guitar to clean up which modelers due really well.(Don't hate me) If I switch to my fingers you get that diffrence) 

Basically my setup is like this 

The main tone is a Jubilee patch with effects coming from my pedals 

If I need to go vintage or strat type I use the fender 57 twin patch.

Gilmour style is a Hiwatt  with added fuzz effects phaser etc  which I don't have  and don't want to buy 

The really aggressive patch is the Messa Dual Rec.

i also need modelers for recording because I can create a micd up guitarnd go straight into my computer and eq etc 

Definitely a case of different strokes for different folks of course. They're excellent for recording too, of course. I can definitely see that appeal. For me, I just don't desire having tons of different amp sounds whereas I certainly understand that someone who does probably doesn't want to have ten different amps. My Jubilee is never going to sound like a Fender and that's okay with me. But certainly a modeler is cheaper than buying several tube amps!

• Like 1

On 17/04/2020 at 9:37 PM, James Bond said:

Definitely a case of different strokes for different folks of course. They're excellent for recording too, of course. I can definitely see that appeal. For me, I just don't desire having tons of different amp sounds whereas I certainly understand that someone who does probably doesn't want to have ten different amps. My Jubilee is never going to sound like a Fender and that's okay with me. But certainly a modeler is cheaper than buying several tube amps!

The 20 watt Jubilee is an immense amp. My friend paired it up with an Orange 1x12 V30, full rockstar tone.

• GNFNR 1

On 4/17/2020 at 1:30 PM, ZoSoRose said:

Yeah I am gonna get the Helix LT. Much cheaper don't need the scribble strips as long as I know what I inputted in it I am fine and I just need a send and return for my chorus and delay so that should do ti

42 minutes ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

I got it from Sweetwater. Does it come with HXedit?

HX Edit is free to download off of Line 6's website. Download the latest version of that then use it to update your Helix to 2.9. It'll bring yours up to date with all the latest amps, effects, and other stuff they added