The Gear Thread

19 hours ago, SoundOfAGun said:

The 40C was much more capable at getting "bedroom" volumes, but still very loud on 2 1/2 - 3. The 1 watt is even more usable, it has a 0.1 watt setting which I haven't used; if it is like the 40C half power setting it will suck the goodness right out of the tone. 

I found that of the DSL series and some other self attenuating amps (EVH springs to mind). Fortunately, the Mini Jubilee still retains its sound at the 5 watt setting. I suppose it sounds a little darker (for lack of a better word) but I almost like it better.

6 hours ago, James Bond said:

I found that of the DSL series and some other self attenuating amps (EVH springs to mind). Fortunately, the Mini Jubilee still retains its sound at the 5 watt setting. I suppose it sounds a little darker (for lack of a better word) but I almost like it better.

I have heard the mini Jub at 5 watts, it does sound good! Not sure if the reduced power option is better engineered in the more expensive Marshalls.

28 minutes ago, SoundOfAGun said:

I have heard the mini Jub at 5 watts, it does sound good! Not sure if the reduced power option is better engineered in the more expensive Marshalls.

My ideal Marshall is something like the Origin or Jubilee. When I use my Helix Floor I us a JTM45 and the JCM800 I feel the JTM45 gives it more clarity and boost while the JCM800 gives me the overdrive. I liken how I can roll down my volume in the Helix for clean rather then channel switching I haven't used my pedals since i got the thing. I use the Fender Mustang Amp as my Loudspeaker. I haver it on Tube Preamp and it gives it a really clear definition.

Edited by Gibsonfender2323
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

My ideal Marshall is something like the Origin or Jubilee. When I use my Helix Floor I us a JTM45 and the JCM800 I feel the JTM45 gives it more clarity and boost while the JCM800 gives me the overdrive. I liken how I can roll down my volume in the Helix for clean rather then channel switching I haven't used my pedals since i got the thing. I use the Fender Mustang Amp as my Loudspeaker. I haver it on Tube Preamp and it gives it a really clear definition.

I like the Brit Trem Bright and the Placater Dirty  as my main sounds. Also into the Revv red and purple channels for something heavier. I still need to try it in preamp mode through the FX return of my DSL...

2 hours ago, SoundOfAGun said:

It might be, although I must say we've come a long way from the "Virtual Power Reduction" on the JCM 2000. :lol:

I like the Brit Trem Bright and the Placater Dirty  as my main sounds. Also into the Revv red and purple channels for something heavier. I still need to try it in preamp mode through the FX return of my DSL...

What is the Placater  model based on?

Edited by Gibsonfender2323

2 hours ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

What is the Placater  model based on?

Friedman BE100, a monsterous amp. 

I use the Marshall 1959SLP the most but also use the Roland JC120, Sildano SLO100, Marshall JCM800s, Vox AC30s, and Revv Gen a lot. Every amp model is great and I switch around a lot with the main ones I use. The Bogner Shiva and Trainwreck are very underrated as well

On 7/1/2020 at 1:25 AM, ZoSoRose said:

Friedman BE100, a monsterous amp. 

I use the Marshall 1959SLP the most but also use the Roland JC120, Sildano SLO100, Marshall JCM800s, Vox AC30s, and Revv Gen a lot. Every amp model is great and I switch around a lot with the main ones I use. The Bogner Shiva and Trainwreck are very underrated as well

I used the Badonk amp only on this cover, it sounds pretty good IMO!:

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

That sounded really cool. It could actually be a new song altogether IMO.

Thanks man, it follows the vocal melody of the original pretty close, working on cover of Ain't No Sunshine that is pretty much a new song; it only really shares some of the lyrics. 

• Like 1

On 6/30/2020 at 3:32 AM, SoundOfAGun said:

A guy I know has a Hiwatt, they are meant to be 100watts, but he says his puts out over 400! Insanely loud!! The 1 Watt should tick your boxes I think; plenty of saturation on ultra gain channel, classic gain breaks up and goes up to a pretty heavy crunch. I'll try and do a clip later and post here.

400 watts totally checks out! So loud!! Haha

If you ever do get a chance to do a sample clip that would be great and much appreciated! :headbang:

• Like 1

23 hours ago, soon said:

400 watts totally checks out! So loud!! Haha

If you ever do get a chance to do a sample clip that would be great and much appreciated! :headbang:

I'll try and get something sorted tomorrow, just got my hearing back after having a blocked ear, so spent most of today on my new cover of Ain't No Sunshine, here is a clip (from the room through speakers):

• GNFNR 2

I'll try and get something sorted tomorrow, just got my hearing back after having a blocked ear, so spent most of today on my new cover of Ain't No Sunshine, here is a clip (from the room through speakers):

Awesome cover! Really like your fresh approach to it! :headbang:My bro makes me mix tapes and ain’t no sunshine has been on every single one, lol. He’ll be pumped to hear this too!

Okay, but a blocked ear?! I don’t know precisely what that is but it sounds terrible and likely very disconcerting for a musician such as yourself? Sounds like your ears are working just fine again though!

No rush on the preview vid, btw :) 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, soon said:

Awesome cover! Really like your fresh approach to it! :headbang:My bro makes me mix tapes and ain’t no sunshine has been on every single one, lol. He’ll be pumped to hear this too!

Okay, but a blocked ear?! I don’t know precisely what that is but it sounds terrible and likely very disconcerting for a musician such as yourself? Sounds like your ears are working just fine again though!

No rush on the preview vid, btw :) 

Yeah, I get wax buildups - gross, I know - flushed that shit out this morning and worked on that track today. Happy times!

• Haha 2

On 27/06/2020 at 12:48 PM, Gibsonfender2323 said:

Helix is better then Fractal.

Should I get a Gretsch Falcon, Gibson Explorer or Firebird?

I really am excited to see the 4tus Falcon

Fortus took over the Gretsch Instagram page and will be talking about his new Falcon:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

Do you guys agree?

Also: does anyone really use the middle pickup position?

I didn't get to watch it but I really enjoy my Les Paul. It's comfortable to play and sounds good. The coil tapping sounds fine to me and opens up different sounds.

That being said, I just ordered a grail guitar for me that should hopefully outshine my Les Paul, a Teye Coyote!

20 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

I didn't get to watch it but I really enjoy my Les Paul. It's comfortable to play and sounds good. The coil tapping sounds fine to me and opens up different sounds.

That being said, I just ordered a grail guitar for me that should hopefully outshine my Les Paul, a Teye Coyote!

The video is funny, but I know it's lengthy. 

The TLDR - even though LPs are heavy, expensive and a lot of times uncomfortable, the sound is fucking great. And it's versatile too. And from the guitars I had, I actually find it more comfortable to play than any other I tried.

18 hours ago, James Bond said:

I haven't watched the video but I adore the middle pickup position. That's my go to for cleans.

I used to do it more for the cleans. But I never use it besides that. It's kinda strange how this is just not something most people use.