The Gear Thread

10 hours ago, James Bond said:

His SG collection is all over the place but according to SoloDallas his preferred year (based on usage and photos) is 1970. Check out his website - it is a goldmine of information.

https://solodallas.com/angus-young-guitars

His main black one with the half pickguard is a '67 Standard according to his tech in the Rig Rundown from a few years ago.

My personal favourite is his modified 1970 Custom with the full white pickguard. I'm glad he's brought it out of retirement on the last couple of tours. I've debated about it on my SG but also don't want to add holes. :lol:

What do you think of this? i am going to watch it. Its either a 70 or 72

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-GIBSON-SG-Standard-walnut-finish-1970-72-All-original/143381352505?hash=item216231d039:g:MxwAAOSwzPBdeuLL

Edited by Gibsonfender2323

1 hour ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

I love those walnut ones. There's something very charming about them and they always seem to age very nicely. On that particular one I'd be a little worried about that neck blemish but as long as it's purely cosmetic and not a crack then it should be fine I would think. I debated a 1977 Custom in Cherry for a long time when I found a pretty decent price.

The only thing I don't like about the post 1970 SGs is the repositioning of the neck (sitting right against the neck pick-up more like a Les Paul). I think it remained like that through the (ugly) eighties SGs until they introduced the '61 Reissue and freshened up the Standard after the much maligned Norlin era. Granted, it doesn't really affect anything except for my OCD. :lol:

For the body, my personal preference is the sixties SG body with the deeper horns but I like these early seventies ones a lot. I believe that's what they referenced for the 2013 Thunderstruck SG and they're similar to the current Standards. Really the only SG body shape I don't like is the eighties one.

10 minutes ago, James Bond said:

I love those walnut ones. There's something very charming about them and they always seem to age very nicely. On that particular one I'd be a little worried about that neck blemish but as long as it's purely cosmetic and not a crack then it should be fine I would think. I debated a 1977 Custom in Cherry for a long time when I found a pretty decent price.

The only thing I don't like about the post 1970 SGs is the repositioning of the neck (sitting right against the neck pick-up more like a Les Paul). I think it remained like that through the (ugly) eighties SGs until they introduced the '61 Reissue and freshened up the Standard after the much maligned Norlin era. Granted, it doesn't really affect anything except for my OCD. :lol:

For the body, my personal preference is the sixties SG body with the deeper horns but I like these early seventies ones a lot. I believe that's what they referenced for the 2013 Thunderstruck SG and they're similar to the current Standards. Really the only SG body shape I don't like is the eighties one.

Also is it just me or are Vintage SGs the most “affordable” Vintage guitars. I don’t think I have ever seen one above 10k

48 minutes ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

Also is it just me or are Vintage SGs the most “affordable” Vintage guitars. I don’t think I have ever seen one above 10k

I have definitely noticed that over the years, which is great if someone wants a true vintage. They are a lot more accessible than many others!

3 minutes ago, Gibsonfender2323 said:

To me Norlin Era's dont deserve the hate they get. I might get a 1970 SG Deluxe.

In terms of general brand development and most other models - I'd agree. The eighties SG body is just so frickin' ugly though. :lol:

Perhaps I'd change my mind if I played one. The oldest SG I've been able to play was a 1963 SG Junior and it was lovely.

2 minutes ago, James Bond said:

In terms of general brand development and most other models - I'd agree. The eighties SG body is just so frickin' ugly though. :lol:

Perhaps I'd change my mind if I played one. The oldest SG I've been able to play was a 1963 SG Junior and it was lovely.

Nice. Yeah as soon as I start my career  and get money in I  am getting a vintage SG.

• Like 1

VetY7e4.jpg

The bottom is 1.5", and I cut the top one to about 3/4". Still have to sand it a bit and I'll probably paint them black, but I've been waiting about 2 months for these to arrive so I had to throw them on and play for a while :D I'll probably cut the bottom hoop down to 3/4" too. This was already my favourite snare, and it looks and sounds even cooler now.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, AxlisOld said:

Is that a Greco Zemantis copy? Goya, right?

The middle one? That's my newest one. It's a 2014 Teye Coyote. Teye worked with and was inspired by Zemaitis but has his own company with his own designs. This one is made in Austin, Texas. Now his highest end ones are made by him in Spain and the production models are made in Nashville

1 hour ago, ZoSoRose said:

The middle one? That's my newest one. It's a 2014 Teye Coyote. Teye worked with and was inspired by Zemaitis but has his own company with his own designs. This one is made in Austin, Texas. Now his highest end ones are made by him in Spain and the production models are made in Nashville

I'm intrigued.

6 minutes ago, AxlisOld said:

I'm intrigued.

Check out Teye, they are awesome! My favorite guitars, although they aren't for everyone. The higher end ones are very blingy.

I ordered a new acid etched backplate for mine too with a dragon on it. I'll post pics when it comes

There's a JCM 900 4101 for sale nearby for only $450. Might pick it up. I've been jamming with my band outside since indoor playing and gigs are off the table. Wouldn't mind a smaller amp for that instead of using the Helix and FRFR all the time and my Fender amp pretty much lives at my dad's now 

I figure I can unload it if I don't like it for the same price

EDIT- Deciding to pass even though its a good price. Second time within 5 years I have GASed for a JCM 900 and I think that is because it is a cheap version of something better. Maybe I'll save up a bit and get a mini Plexi, JCM800, or Jubilee down the line. I also realized it will be winter soon, and I don't see a vaccine being widely released by then or my band jamming outside then. 

Edited by ZoSoRose

• 2 weeks later...

I have a close family member whose career and other commitments doesn't allow for much play time anymore. It's a fine line between not wanting to sell the guitar but also not wanting to let it sit unplayed. An innovative solution has been reached where the guitar has been rehomed - to me. :lol:

I say all this because I am excited to be in possession of a Les Paul again after having sold my Classic Plus a few years ago towards my SG Custom.

It's a beautiful 2012 Les Paul Traditional in Chicago Blue.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, James Bond said:

I have a close family member whose career and other commitments doesn't allow for much play time anymore. It's a fine line between not wanting to sell the guitar but also not wanting to let it sit unplayed. An innovative solution has been reached where the guitar has been rehomed - to me. :lol:

I say all this because I am excited to be in possession of a Les Paul again after having sold my Classic Plus a few years ago towards my SG Custom.

It's a beautiful 2012 Les Paul Traditional in Chicago Blue.

Is it any good? How come there's no pics? :P

15 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

Very nice! How much did you snag it for?

We're kind of just at the "borrowed indefinitely" stage, but so far it's a definite keep/purchase so we'll figure it out. I've really bonded with it over the past week or so. It's funny because the colour alone is something I probably wouldn't have picked up myself in a music store, but it is the best playing Les Paul I've ever played and that's without a proper set-up and new strings.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, James Bond said:

We're kind of just at the "borrowed indefinitely" stage, but so far it's a definite keep/purchase so we'll figure it out. I've really bonded with it over the past week or so. It's funny because the colour alone is something I probably wouldn't have picked up myself in a music store, but it is the best playing Les Paul I've ever played and that's without a proper set-up and new strings.

Awesome man!