The Gear Thread

Going to take it to my local tech on Wednesday for a proper set-up but it turns out we had the year wrong. It's a 2013, which is a bonus because that was when they switched to the unchambered bodies on the Traditionals. Here's a shot in poor lighting which in no way does the top justice. This makes it look like a solid color.

Screenshot_20200921-170128_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, James Bond said:

Going to take it to my local tech on Wednesday for a proper set-up but it turns out we had the year wrong. It's a 2013, which is a bonus because that was when they switched to the unchambered bodies on the Traditionals. Here's a shot in poor lighting which in no way does the top justice. This makes it look like a solid color.

Very nice! My LP is a 2013

On 9/21/2020 at 6:02 PM, James Bond said:

That's beautiful. Is it a fat neck profile? How does the included HBs sound?

19 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

That's beautiful. Is it a fat neck profile? How does the included HBs sound?

It's a fat profile, so a little thicker than I'm used to (my old Classic had the slimmer sixties profile) but super comfortable all the same.

It's got 57 Classics which I've never cared for, but they sound massive in this guitar. Eventually I'll probably do what I always do and get some Seymour's but these will do!

• GNFNR 1

18 hours ago, James Bond said:

It's a fat profile, so a little thicker than I'm used to (my old Classic had the slimmer sixties profile) but super comfortable all the same.

It's got 57 Classics which I've never cared for, but they sound massive in this guitar. Eventually I'll probably do what I always do and get some Seymour's but these will do!

I'm thinking about getting SDs for me too. 

By the way, after all those abusive attacks on my pickup selector to emulate a killswitch, I'm now getting some problemas - I switch and the sound gets weaker for whatever pickup I set. It goes back to normal if I just flip it back and forth, and it's something that only happens once in a while, but I'm getting worried. Not sure what I could do here, or if I just should leave it to someone who actually knows what to do.

2 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

I'm thinking about getting SDs for me too. 

By the way, after all those abusive attacks on my pickup selector to emulate a killswitch, I'm now getting some problemas - I switch and the sound gets weaker for whatever pickup I set. It goes back to normal if I just flip it back and forth, and it's something that only happens once in a while, but I'm getting worried. Not sure what I could do here, or if I just should leave it to someone who actually knows what to do.

I've had that happen many times. Three way toggles are notorious for that. Usually you can just pick up a cheap contact cleaner from the hardware store and spray it directly into the switch. Sometimes that's all it needs.

At at a worst case scenario with a lot of killswitch abuse the switch will eventually seize and you'll have to replace it, but toggles are cheap fortunately!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, James Bond said:

I've had that happen many times. Three way toggles are notorious for that. Usually you can just pick up a cheap contact cleaner from the hardware store and spray it directly into the switch. Sometimes that's all it needs.

At at a worst case scenario with a lot of killswitch abuse the switch will eventually seize and you'll have to replace it, but toggles are cheap fortunately!

You mean something like WD-40?

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ZoSoRose said:

Holy cow. Nice! What's the explorer?

It's the Lzzy Hale signature one. I had a growing love affair with the Explorer shape thanks to The Edge (and Dave Keuning from The Killers).  A few years ago I had traded in various guitars to fund the SG Custom at the time so I was definitely itching to get another "second guitar" and decided to make that an Explorer. To make it "me" I wanted the equivalent to my SG but in Explorer form, so my local tech pointed me in the direction of Lzzy's guitars. I like Halestorm enough but hadn't paid much attention to her signature models other than knowing that she favored Explorers.

I also didn't necessarily want to spend the same amount of money again so I was totally happy going the Epiphone route. Since they don't yet make an Epiphone version of Lzzy's "Dark Explorer" I settled on the white. Once I got it, I was glad I made that choice. Awesome contrast to the SG, and it plays incredible. Hands down the best Epiphone I've ever played. Once I swapped the pick-ups to the Slash Duncan's it really came to life.

It's the best sounding of my three guitars. No contest!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

So I bought a proper Katana 50w mk2 to improve my tone a bit. Does anyone here have it? I've been testing some patches, but I'm not sure if I'm being picky or because my pickups are way too dark, I still think there's a lot of room for improvement on EQ. 

On 9/24/2020 at 6:22 PM, James Bond said:

Yes, just make sure it's the dedicated Electrical Contact Cleaner.

Forgot to mention, I did what you said and now it's working perfectly. Thank you. :)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

So I bought a proper Katana 50w mk2 to improve my tone a bit. Does anyone here have it? I've been testing some patches, but I'm not sure if I'm being picky or because my pickups are way too dark, I still think there's a lot of room for improvement on EQ. 

Forgot to mention, I did what you said and now it's working perfectly. Thank you. :)

I don't have much experience with modellers but if you're happy overall with the tone but find it dark, how about just tweaking the presence? Does that make a difference?

I pretty much set it and leave it on the Jubilee and just tweak the presence depending on which guitar I'm using.

Also no problem! Glad it worked. The curse of the LP style toggle!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

Sorry no tips, but just wanted to congratulate you on the purchase :headbang:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, James Bond said:

I don't have much experience with modellers but if you're happy overall with the tone but find it dark, how about just tweaking the presence? Does that make a difference?

I pretty much set it and leave it on the Jubilee and just tweak the presence depending on which guitar I'm using.

Also no problem! Glad it worked. The curse of the LP style toggle!

Yeah, I did. I think I should mess up a little more with the EQ though. It's no big deal, I figure I may have to deal with it until I buy those Seyoumour Duncans.

7 hours ago, soon said:

Sorry no tips, but just wanted to congratulate you on the purchase :headbang:

Thanks! :)

2 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

I have only played the Katana MK I in stores, but I always really liked it. I remember getting decent Marshall-esque gain out of it with more treble, but I don't really remember a whole lot. Your guitar might just sound darker, too

It is really good for the price. I didn't want something too big and loud, as it only stays under my desk. And its really easy to record via USB and mess with the panel through the software, so it was really the better option for me. And yeah, I think my guitar pickups are way too dark. 

Someone was selling a 1978 Pearl Masters kit on craigslist for pretty cheap, so I couldn't pass it up. He didn't actually know the year, but I'm 99% sure it's a '78. It's in great shape, and while it'll take a while to get a good kick sound out of it, the toms and snare sound really good - total classic rock kit. :D

Luckily I sold one of my other kits over the summer so I've got storage space for my bigger kit :lol:

00W0W_aVFiztyDq1D_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg.375d34e14878dada544bf9eaa86b6108.jpg

• GNFNR 1
  • Wow 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

@James Bond I am agonizing between the 2525 and SV20

I know you must like your 2525 since you bought it again after the AC30! Can it honestly do the Plexi sound? Or is it more for the more compressed stuff it excels at?

I haven't tried the SV20, but I did try the SC20 (or whatever the mini JCM800 is called) against the Jubilee when I decided to re-enter the Marshall world and it was no contest! However, I don't find that the Jubilee does the Plexi sound. You can get into that territory, but it always sounds warmer no doubt due to the compression it's known for. It excels at being a boosted 800 with better EQ, and the clean channel is among the better of the Marshall's I've owned, but if you're exclusively looking for the Plexi sound my guess would be that the SV20 is a safer bet.

The Jubilee is a very specific sound. Distinctly Marshall, but a little different. It also sounds way better with V30s than the stock Greenback (the V-Type is excellent as well, which is what's in the matching cab I bought).

Clearly I'm a fan since I've owned it twice. For good this time, I swear. :lol:

• Like 2