The Gear Thread

40 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Thanks! I wish the SV20 had a master volume or a 1 watt setting!

That was the issue I had with the Vox. The Vox cranked sound is truly out of this world, and indeed when I made the impulse buy it was after trying one cranked at my local music store. It just doesn't maintain that sound well at lower volumes and after the initial excitement wore off I began to crave some versatility at lower volumes. Didn't take too long to end up back in Marshall land! If it ain't broke as they say.

On 12/7/2020 at 5:44 PM, James Bond said:

That was the issue I had with the Vox. The Vox cranked sound is truly out of this world, and indeed when I made the impulse buy it was after trying one cranked at my local music store. It just doesn't maintain that sound well at lower volumes and after the initial excitement wore off I began to crave some versatility at lower volumes. Didn't take too long to end up back in Marshall land! If it ain't broke as they say.

Mini Jubilee is definitely something special, the naturally compressed voice of the amp means that the 5 watt mode isn't as tone sucking as normal half power modes IMO. Couple that with an insanely versatile EQ and you've got a keeper.

• GNFNR 1

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

@James Bond and @SoundOfAGun

Just scored a 2525C for 800 (about 1000 after tax and shipping!). Put it on the credit card and figure for that price, I can make most of my money back easy if I need the money or don't bond with it.

I'm super excited!

Happy New Incoming Amp Day! My friend had the combo and they are beasts.

7 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

@James Bond and @SoundOfAGun

Just scored a 2525C for 800 (about 1000 after tax and shipping!). Put it on the credit card and figure for that price, I can make most of my money back easy if I need the money or don't bond with it.

I'm super excited!

Killer price! They're currently priced at $1999 here in wholesome ol' Canada eh. Enjoy it!

Yeah the price made it an easy impulse buy. It was tough because the Plexi tone is THE sound, but the Jubilee has the versitily, uniqueness factor, and features I want. Plus, the Helix doesn't have a Jubilee model and I can always use the excellent simulation in it with this, or even buy a Class 5 again if I really feel like I need something to scratch that itch. I feel like the Jubilee will get close enough, though, and it's other tones are just as unique and welcome. The Jubilee is one of my all time favorite amps, it's just after playing with a band regularly I realize a lower gain, transparent tone like a Plexi usually sits in a mix better. If the Jubilee can sit in the mix well, I am golden. I can probably set it to a mid gain sound just fine with the rhythm clip and use the Helix and guitar volume knobs to get good cleanish crunch.

Ticks every box I wanted in a new amp-

Small combo I can easily pick up and take to rehearsals, jams, and gigs

Effects loop so I can use the Helix with it to its full potential

12 inch speaker

Master volume and lower power settings

Made in Europe or the USA

15-20 watts

Hell yeah!

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, James Bond said:

Also a plus is the line out. Very handy for home recording! Only downside is you can't mute the internal speaker if you wanted to do some quiet, late night recording but nevertheless I find it useful.

Oh yeah, that is a HUGE plus for me! It will integrate flawlessly into my Helix and all the IRs I have. Bummer the internal speaker can't be muted, though. But it's okay, a minor gripe

• Like 1

So @James BondBond I got the amp today....

Holy fuck balls it's loud. The 5 watt setting smokes the old Class 5 I have. The amp itself is also way bigger and heavier than I anticipated. Either way, that I can work with.

However, there is a horrendous hiss when knobs are past 12'o clock. It's VERY noticeable, and really bad. I also was wondering if the clean channel should have the knob "in" or "out". Currently, the lead channel is engaged when it's in and I have to pull it for the clean channel. Is that right? The rhythm clip, on the on the hand, is engaged when pulled out.

23 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

So @James BondBond I got the amp today....

Holy fuck balls it's loud. The 5 watt setting smokes the old Class 5 I have. The amp itself is also way bigger and heavier than I anticipated. Either way, that I can work with.

However, there is a horrendous hiss when knobs are past 12'o clock. It's VERY noticeable, and really bad. I also was wondering if the clean channel should have the knob "in" or "out". Currently, the lead channel is engaged when it's in and I have to pull it for the clean channel. Is that right? The rhythm clip, on the on the hand, is engaged when pulled out.

I pretty much only use the 5 watt setting! But to my ears it sounds basically the same on both, which is nice. No real tone sucking to be had when wanting to play at conservative volumes!

The chassis is a definitely a chunker, which is weird because they made it fatter than the head which you can see by the inset rear panel. The extension cab is sized for the mini head so it's actually a little less deep.

You're right with the push/pull combos. Rhythm clip is engaged when out, and in my opinion it sounds horrendous. Better to use a pedal if you need more saturation. I use the footswitch for clean so I don't have to pull out the knob, but that'll depend on how you want to use it. Some users seem to like the crunch of the clean channel with rhythm clip pulled, but to me that just sounds like an inferior version of the lead channel.

I haven't noticed too much hiss, at least nothing out of the ordinary for the higher gain Marshalls in my experience. Certainly less than my old JCM 2000!

4 hours ago, James Bond said:

I pretty much only use the 5 watt setting! But to my ears it sounds basically the same on both, which is nice. No real tone sucking to be had when wanting to play at conservative volumes!

The chassis is a definitely a chunker, which is weird because they made it fatter than the head which you can see by the inset rear panel. The extension cab is sized for the mini head so it's actually a little less deep.

You're right with the push/pull combos. Rhythm clip is engaged when out, and in my opinion it sounds horrendous. Better to use a pedal if you need more saturation. I use the footswitch for clean so I don't have to pull out the knob, but that'll depend on how you want to use it. Some users seem to like the crunch of the clean channel with rhythm clip pulled, but to me that just sounds like an inferior version of the lead channel.

I haven't noticed too much hiss, at least nothing out of the ordinary for the higher gain Marshalls in my experience. Certainly less than my old JCM 2000!

So it's normal for the lead channel to be default with the knobs in?

Edit- Nvm reread your answer!

Edited by ZoSoRose

15 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

So it's normal for the lead channel to be default with the knobs in?

Edit- Nvm reread your answer!

I just re-read my response and even I confused myself so I'm glad you figured it out. :lol:

The push pull thing in general is kind of weird considering the footswitch instantly negates one of them. I would have rathered their usual small push switches but I suppose they were trying to keep the aesthetic.

44 minutes ago, James Bond said:

I just re-read my response and even I confused myself so I'm glad you figured it out. :lol:

The push pull thing in general is kind of weird considering the footswitch instantly negates one of them. I would have rathered their usual small push switches but I suppose they were trying to keep the aesthetic.

I don't mind the push/pull because it is accurate to the original. I like how its pretty much an exact recreation. The mirror panel, big logo, and silver are all deliciously 80s.

I hope the issue is just with the power tubes, maybe I can get the seller to purchase some. From what little I played, it is much harsher than I remember from the times I have played a Silver Jubilee. Again, I wonder if that could be because of a power tube needing replacement. My fears of this amp cutting through a mix are now gone. It is relatively transparent and harsh. It will cook with a band, and is clearly louder than I would ever need even at 20 watts.

32 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

I don't mind the push/pull because it is accurate to the original. I like how its pretty much an exact recreation. The mirror panel, big logo, and silver are all deliciously 80s.

I hope the issue is just with the power tubes, maybe I can get the seller to purchase some. From what little I played, it is much harsher than I remember from the times I have played a Silver Jubilee. Again, I wonder if that could be because of a power tube needing replacement. My fears of this amp cutting through a mix are now gone. It is relatively transparent and harsh. It will cook with a band, and is clearly louder than I would ever need even at 20 watts.

Don't get me wrong, I dig the aesthetic!

I find the EQ to be a lot more transparent and active on this amp compared to your average Marshall where you are generally safe to keep everything at noon or turned all the way up. This amp responds nicely to the most minor of tweaks, so I think you'll definitely be safe when it comes to a band mix. Hopefully you can get the power tube issue sorted! At least you got a good price on the amp to compensate the trouble.

On 1/7/2021 at 2:17 PM, James Bond said:

Don't get me wrong, I dig the aesthetic!

I find the EQ to be a lot more transparent and active on this amp compared to your average Marshall where you are generally safe to keep everything at noon or turned all the way up. This amp responds nicely to the most minor of tweaks, so I think you'll definitely be safe when it comes to a band mix. Hopefully you can get the power tube issue sorted! At least you got a good price on the amp to compensate the trouble.

I wasn't bonding with it the past few days, I was kind of shocked considering this was a holy grail amp for me. 

Spent a good amount of time with it today, and plugged in the Helix for effects. I got superb tones out of it on all 3 "channels"! The rhythm clip is the one I was most familiar with because it is what my Alexander Silver Jubilee pedal emulates. Still has a ton of gain on tap. Got some great crunch.

I LOVE the clean channel. It's louder than the rhythm clip and lead channels at face value, probably because it has far less compression. I can get it into JTM45/Plexi territory with the gain up

The lead channel is monstrous, I can imagine it is phenomenal when cranked. 

All 3 channels take boosts really well. I tried a Tube Screamer, Boss SD1, and Klon (through my Helix) and that sweet boosted Marshall tone came through. I got the amp turned up since I'm in a house now, but far from cranked. I presume it will sound killer with my band. I'm intending on using the Helix with it for 4 cable method. The amp would have been wasted in my old apartment, it is a cannon of an amp. I can't imagine the 100 watt version being that much louder. 

The culprit for my dissapointment earlier in the week was the treble knob. I'm used to really turning it up, and with the the Jubilee, the EQ is EXTREMELY responsive. It is not a plug and play amp. Once I discovered that, I like the amp a lot better. If I can get the hiss at high volume sorted out, I'll be in business. 

• GNFNR 1

Swapped out a preamp tube. The humming is way better now. It still hisses if you crank it, but it's a Marshall and thats what noise gates are for.

Sounds a lot better now too. This thing is a keeper. It roars. I can get it cranked to about halfway up on the 5 watt setting. The 20 watt setting sounds even more open, too. Love this thing.

Do you still have that JCM800, @James Bond

18 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Swapped out a preamp tube. The humming is way better now. It still hisses if you crank it, but it's a Marshall and thats what noise gates are for.

Sounds a lot better now too. This thing is a keeper. It roars. I can get it cranked to about halfway up on the 5 watt setting. The 20 watt setting sounds even more open, too. Love this thing.

Do you still have that JCM800, @James Bond

Unfortunately no. I'd love to have a room full of the various amps I've owned over the years, but I generally just buy/sell/trade my way to the next thing on my mind. I've had a serious GAS problem with amps over the years as you can probably tell. :lol:

Glad to hear the tube solved the issue! It sounds like you set it where I do (output master at about half on 5 watt). That seems to be the sweet spot! The only further thing I might do eventually is swap the internal speaker to a Vintage 30 like the big brother.

8 minutes ago, James Bond said:

Unfortunately no. I'd love to have a room full of the various amps I've owned over the years, but I generally just buy/sell/trade my way to the next thing on my mind. I've had a serious GAS problem with amps over the years as you can probably tell. :lol:

Glad to hear the tube solved the issue! It sounds like you set it where I do (output master at about half on 5 watt). That seems to be the sweet spot! The only further thing I might do eventually is swap the internal speaker to a Vintage 30 like the big brother.

I went through a two year gear drought after I got the Helix. Now I can't think of anything else I want. The Helix and Jubilee match up should cover everything. I just bought a new guitar last year too. I feel like the that makes up for the 2 years of no purchases!

10 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

I went through a two year gear drought after I got the Helix. Now I can't think of anything else I want. The Helix and Jubilee match up should cover everything. I just bought a new guitar last year too. I feel like the that makes up for the 2 years of no purchases!

I admire your willpower!

I'd like to say I'm pretty set now. If I ever downsized now I'd like just move over to the DSL series and pocket the difference, but otherwise I think at this point in my life I'm in the Marshall family for good.

For effects I've condensed to a single Digitech Whammy 5 and a Zoom G5n. Covers everything I desire on that front. Fortunately for my wallet I never got into the boutique pedal thing!

11 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

I'm glad I didn't go with the SV20C. The Jubilee is monstrously loud. Not having a master volume would have made the Plexi unusable even at home.

Definitely! I like that I can crank the Lead Master but roll off the Output Master to get great tone at controllable volumes.

7 minutes ago, James Bond said:

Definitely! I like that I can crank the Lead Master but roll off the Output Master to get great tone at controllable volumes.

It does the Plexi thing really well. Clean or rhythm clip engaged with a boost pedal and it can be a Plexi or JCM 800. 

I always forget the Jubilee is technically from the JCM series. I wonder why they call it the JCM 25/50. 25 for their anniversary and 50 for... Something? I wonder why they named the mini the 2525. Marshalls naming is confusing

42 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

It does the Plexi thing really well. Clean or rhythm clip engaged with a boost pedal and it can be a Plexi or JCM 800. 

I always forget the Jubilee is technically from the JCM series. I wonder why they call it the JCM 25/50. 25 for their anniversary and 50 for... Something? I wonder why they named the mini the 2525. Marshalls naming is confusing

I think it was 25 years for the amps, 50 years in music. Double anniversary for Jim Marshall. I agree though, super confusing naming especially when you consider the original run was later rebranded the JCM 800 Custom Series but contained identical circuitry, and of course the JCM Slash 2555 for the first reissue.

• Like 1

You know what Marshall series I feel bad for? The MG series. Of all the solid state amps out there, I could never understand why this particular series became the most hated of all. With some proper EQ and a decent player, they rip.

These days you'd be better off with a Katana for the same price, but still.

2 hours ago, James Bond said:

You know what Marshall series I feel bad for? The MG series. Of all the solid state amps out there, I could never understand why this particular series became the most hated of all. With some proper EQ and a decent player, they rip.

These days you'd be better off with a Katana for the same price, but still.

As a teenager, my buddy had a massive 100 watt MG combo and in college, I had a 30 watt combo. They certainly weren't bad for what they were. Lots of good tones in them. They are a little outdated now with all of the cheap, high quality modeling amps like the Katana and Mustang out there, but they are cool. People definitely buy them, they've been in Marshall's lineup for like 15 years or more, now. The CODE and Line 6 Spider get a lot of hate, too. I think these are all great amps for what they do at the prices they are. I would have loved any one of these current modelers when I first started. I had a horrendous 15 watt Crate. My buddy had a Spider. His Spider was way more inspiring and fun to play as a new guitarist.

Surprised you don't like they rhythm clip channel on the Jubilee! That has been my favorite so far!