The Gear Thread

@ZoSoRose

I agree. My first amp was an MG15 and it was perfectly respectable for a budding guitarist, and I quite literally used to carry it through the snow to bring it to school when I'd play and it never failed on me. I think some people just have some unrealistic expectations because "this $100 amp doesn't sound the same as a true vintage JMP" or "iT's nOt tUbE" and it's like... well no shit. :lol:

I'm also with you on the low volumes thing. That was a huge factor in why I ditched the Vox. In general, I find that Marshall's perform well at low volumes anyways. I don't use a lot of gain anyways so the more I can push the tubes the better, so 5 watts is certainly much more manageable!

Yeah the whole Jubilee world loves the Rhythm Clip except me apparently! I think it's because I'm basically a one channel, set it and leave it type player once I found my sweet spot on the Lead channel there was no turning back. I probably just haven't spent enough time with it.

Speaking of modellers, the Katana is amazing. @Voodoochild is rocking some awesome tones on his. I honestly think you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference in a live mix.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, James Bond said:

@ZoSoRose

I agree. My first amp was an MG15 and it was perfectly respectable for a budding guitarist, and I quite literally used to carry it through the snow to bring it to school when I'd play and it never failed on me. I think some people just have some unrealistic expectations because "this $100 amp doesn't sound the same as a true vintage JMP" or "iT's nOt tUbE" and it's like... well no shit. :lol:

I'm also with you on the low volumes thing. That was a huge factor in why I ditched the Vox. In general, I find that Marshall's perform well at low volumes anyways. I don't use a lot of gain anyways so the more I can push the tubes the better, so 5 watts is certainly much more manageable!

Yeah the whole Jubilee world loves the Rhythm Clip except me apparently! I think it's because I'm basically a one channel, set it and leave it type player once I found my sweet spot on the Lead channel there was no turning back. I probably just haven't spent enough time with it.

Speaking of modellers, the Katana is amazing. @Voodoochild is rocking some awesome tones on his. I honestly think you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference in a live mix.

For sure, the Helix is still my favorite and most useful piece of gear I own. High quality digital tones absolutely match any amplifier out there. Especially when recorded or in a live situation. I just wanted an amp because I like them, and the Jubilee was a grail amp so why not? Another toy in the box. Plus you can use all this stuff together and it always integrates and sounds great. The Katana takes pedals well and the Jubilee takes the emulated effects well and vice versa.

It is a good time to buy gear

• Like 1

14 hours ago, James Bond said:

Thanks! But is the Katana a modeller or just a competent solid state? There is no real amp simulation other than the different channels (crunch, lead, brown etc.). The variety in the tones is achieved through the booster pedals (for Slash tones, I'm using the Guv'n model, and for Robin I'm bouncing between some fuzz or a Tube Screamer pedal) and EQ on the software companion. The preamp is analogue, and the idea is that it mimics some of the valve characteristics, so it reacts more organically than a pure simulation like the Code. 

Funny thing is that I live in a small apartment, so I never ever had my amp above the 0,5W mode and level at 3 at max. :lol:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

Thanks! But is the Katana a modeller or just a competent solid state? There is no real amp simulation other than the different channels (crunch, lead, brown etc.). The variety in the tones is achieved through the booster pedals (for Slash tones, I'm using the Guv'n model, and for Robin I'm bouncing between some fuzz or a Tube Screamer pedal) and EQ on the software companion. The preamp is analogue, and the idea is that it mimics some of the valve characteristics, so it reacts more organically than a pure simulation like the Code. 

Funny thing is that I live in a small apartment, so I never ever had my amp above the 0,5W mode and level at 3 at max. :lol:

The Katana is a solid state modeling amp. I believe the amp models are the same as the four main ones in their GT1000. The ARES models. I could be wrong.

Either way, it sounds great. I would confidentiality play a gig with a Katana and not feel like I was compromising. It's great you can buy a brand new amp under $300 dollars that can handle that

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

What he said above. I was under the impression that it was essentially an amp version of the GT-1000 or what have you. Either way, all the more impressive that you've got such a killer sound at 0.5 watts! Be careful not to speak that too loudly on a guitar forum. :lol:

• Haha 2

Since Boss just released the GT1000 Core, I don't think they are updating the main board anytime soon. That thing is quite small and handy, but I'm not sure why would anyone buy that instead of a proper GT1000.

4 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

The Katana is a solid state modeling amp. I believe the amp models are the same as the four main ones in their GT1000. The ARES models. I could be wrong.

Either way, it sounds great. I would confidentiality play a gig with a Katana and not feel like I was compromising. It's great you can buy a brand new amp under $300 dollars that can handle that

Not sure, it feels different than the purely digital modeling amp I tested (Fender Mustang and Marshall Code). Maybe because of the power amp thing. 

Indeed, it's great to have a pretty decent small amp like this that is gigable. Though I'm sure I won't ever join a band again at this point in my life.

2 hours ago, James Bond said:

What he said above. I was under the impression that it was essentially an amp version of the GT-1000 or what have you. Either way, all the more impressive that you've got such a killer sound at 0.5 watts! Be careful not to speak that too loudly on a guitar forum. :lol:

It's kinda the same, but I guess the GT-1000 has a better processor. Maybe it's a stripped down version. Boss could really benefit to make it everything the same, including patch compatibility. 

Most of the time I don't even turn the amp speaker on and just use headphones because I need to play it very quietly while my wife is in meetings lol 

On 1/19/2021 at 10:51 AM, James Bond said:

You know what Marshall series I feel bad for? The MG series. Of all the solid state amps out there, I could never understand why this particular series became the most hated of all. With some proper EQ and a decent player, they rip.

These days you'd be better off with a Katana for the same price, but still.

They're hated because they replaced the beloved Valvestate line with them, a clearly inferior amp.

I wish the CODE series sounded better. The idea of a dedicated Marshall modelling machine is amazing, but JCM 800 model on the Zoom G5n sounds more like the real deal than the CODE. :lol:

For sure. It's "ok" but more for a beginner or for home practice. Something like a Helix or Axe Fx will offer much better Marshall sims. Or you can get all the actual Marshall profiles with a Kemper

• 1 month later...

I'll refund your $220 in exchange for the Les Paul. ;)

How does that even happen?

I have no idea. It's still got the plastic and tags on it. $1600.

Has the warranty and inspection cards, all the paperwork, and even a photo of it at the factory. Apparently it was made in 2019 so maybe it was at the warehouse and they shipped this instead of the open box bass. 

It's a really nice guitar, but holy shit is $1600 absurd for this instrument. It plays and sounds quite good, but it's a plank of wood with 2 pickups. Guitars have gotten so expensive now. I paid $1800 for my LP in 2014 and it has a flame top, binding on the body, robot tuners (yeah they are unnecessarily, but this LP Special has those awful Gibson tuners), coil tapping, and a carved top. I guess even imports are easily reaching $1000 and up so this is just how it is now

Edited by ZoSoRose

Apparently it has handwired controls and a wraparound bridge which hikes the price. It's more than the studio. Damn, that's a lot for a plank guitar lol. 

Been playing it a lot, it is a pretty nice guitar. I can't see much wrong in terms of QC. Maybe a hairline crack by the nut

• 2 weeks later...

The LP Special was fun but I put it on Craigslist for trades and was shocked to get bombarded with requests. I think it's a sign of the pandemic.

I ended up trading it for a 1996 US Vintage Reissue Stratocaster in ocean turquoise. It's awesome!

I also picked up a Sterling Stingray bass

On 3/28/2021 at 10:22 PM, ZoSoRose said:

The LP Special was fun but I put it on Craigslist for trades and was shocked to get bombarded with requests. I think it's a sign of the pandemic.

I ended up trading it for a 1996 US Vintage Reissue Stratocaster in ocean turquoise. It's awesome!

I also picked up a Sterling Stingray bass

Such a shame. I would be willing to assume the burden of getting the LP Special as a generous donation from you. ^_^

But seriously, didnt you try to reach the seller? Someone who ordered a LP Special got a bass instead lol

3 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

Such a shame. I would be willing to assume the burden of getting the LP Special as a generous donation from you. ^_^

But seriously, didnt you try to reach the seller? Someone who ordered a LP Special got a bass instead lol

It was through guitar center and both were open box items so it seems they just sent me the wrong item. I sent an email but never heard back

• Like 1