The Gear Thread

On 5/27/2021 at 8:56 AM, ZoSoRose said:

Been back at it with band practice and the mini Jubilee isn't as powerful as I hoped :(

What do you find is the issue? Not cutting through?

If you have a PA or powered speaker, the Line Out works great if you wanted to get some more oomph without buying an extension cab.

On 5/28/2021 at 6:41 PM, James Bond said:

What do you find is the issue? Not cutting through?

If you have a PA or powered speaker, the Line Out works great if you wanted to get some more oomph without buying an extension cab.

It cuts, but pretty much tops out. It reminds me of my Class 5, except rhythm guitar is a lot clearer. Its like JUST enough for leads, and with the Strat solos can be pretty weak when we are loud. I feel like the amp should be louder, so maybe it just needs a full tube change. I feel like it should blow my other guitar player away, he was just using a smaller 80s Roland solid state amp (although it was pretty loud). 

Ill try tubes before I change amps, because I do love the tone

EDIT- I also know I can mic it or go direct, but that defeats the purpose because I have my Helix

Edited by ZoSoRose

If I recall correctly, did you say before you thought there might have been a problem with the tubes? Hopefully that solves it.

I do find it does sound a bit "boxy" but many combos suffer from that. I think it sounds better with an open back cab and a Vintage 30 or similar voiced speaker (the extension cab has a V-Type, and I also tried it with a 2x12 Hughes & Kettner with V30s and the difference was night and day). I like Greenbacks fine enough but it's perhaps a little too warm for the combo. I almost wish I had got the mini head instead.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2021 at 1:58 PM, James Bond said:

If I recall correctly, did you say before you thought there might have been a problem with the tubes? Hopefully that solves it.

I do find it does sound a bit "boxy" but many combos suffer from that. I think it sounds better with an open back cab and a Vintage 30 or similar voiced speaker (the extension cab has a V-Type, and I also tried it with a 2x12 Hughes & Kettner with V30s and the difference was night and day). I like Greenbacks fine enough but it's perhaps a little too warm for the combo. I almost wish I had got the mini head instead.

Bought an amp stand and that helped tremendously! I really enjoyed the Jubilee at practice today. Had the lead and output master at around 6-7 and the gain at about 5. Worked just fine. I'm going to slap some new tubes in soon and I'll b in business

12 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

Bought an amp stand and that helped tremendously! I really enjoyed the Jubilee at practice today. Had the lead and output master at around 6-7 and the gain at about 5. Worked just fine. I'm going to slap some new tubes in soon and I'll b in business

Nice! Good to hear that the stand helped. I find gain at 5 is really the sweet spot and if I want to saturate a solo more I just hit my drive pedal which is currently a Klon clone. With the SG I generally crank the bass up but otherwise I aim for a mid-rangey tone.

Still... I do still kind of desire something smaller. I may still get a lunchbox yet.

1 minute ago, James Bond said:

Nice! Good to hear that the stand helped. I find gain at 5 is really the sweet spot and if I want to saturate a solo more I just hit my drive pedal which is currently a Klon clone. With the SG I generally crank the bass up but otherwise I aim for a mid-rangey tone.

Still... I do still kind of desire something smaller. I may still get a lunchbox yet.

Yes, having the gain on 5 had the amp with minimal saturation in a loud band setting. Sounded quite good. Definitely not plexi or even 800-like, it is darker and less crunchy (how I had it), but that is okay because the Jubilee has its own sound. Very smooth tones and it cleaned up great with the volume knob. As you said, the lead channel is where it's at. I don't even know if the clean or rhythm clip channels would keep up with my band. Maybe with new tubes they would, but I will never really use them, anyways. I treat it like a single channel amp with the lead setting.

It's nice to finally have a good Marshall I can crank for full effect!

• 3 weeks later...

My Mini Jubilee head 2525h model died two days ago. I was playing at 5w mode at home and suddenly the sound cut out. I immediatly closed the amp and tried to restart. When i turn the volume all the way up you can hear the amp very quietly. I decided to swap all tubes, fuze and even tried different extwnsion cap and the problem remains. Any suggestions? Maybe I should take it to a tech.

On 6/29/2021 at 9:58 PM, Kelmi said:

My Mini Jubilee head 2525h model died two days ago. I was playing at 5w mode at home and suddenly the sound cut out. I immediatly closed the amp and tried to restart. When i turn the volume all the way up you can hear the amp very quietly. I decided to swap all tubes, fuze and even tried different extwnsion cap and the problem remains. Any suggestions? Maybe I should take it to a tech.

I would take it to a tech if you've swapped out the tubes and fuse; sound like someone needs to have a poke around.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SoundOfAGun said:

I would take it to a tech if you've swapped out the tubes and fuse; sound like someone needs to have a poke around.

I took it to a tech and he found that it was loose connection from the input to the circuitry. I dont know hows that possible but he said it was factory issue. Now its working again like a charm!

5 hours ago, Kelmi said:

I took it to a tech and he found that it was loose connection from the input to the circuitry. I dont know hows that possible but he said it was factory issue. Now its working again like a charm!

Nice! My mini Jubilee has needed a trip to the tech since I got it. It rattles, and hisses, and I think new tubes would help anyways.

Despite all that and my complaints above, I'd say I've bonded pretty good with it. It's a lot of fun to crank with the band. It's only 20 watts, so it pretty much just turns into a plexi with the band and I am totally fine with that. I know a few posts ahead it wasn't like a Plexi but the past two weeks it was. Idk the EQ is so sensitive it sounds different every time! Even with the gain up, the more saturated frequencies vanish in the mix so it stays as a clean overdrive. Sounds great, though. Ran it with every knob at 7 today at practice except the mids which I had dimed. Only used my guitar controls. First gig is Saturday so that'll be the test.

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 1

Edit- I actually figure it is more plexi like now because I had the presence pretty cranked. I could probably get it more saturated with less mids, too. Not that any of that is an issue, I usually go for the plexi sound more than the high gain sound anyways

I'm trying to find any info on the electric guitar Slash played for UTLH and You're Crazy, but I'm not really finding anything. It's obviously a single coil guitar. I tried to emulate that with my Les Paul on single coil mode effect on the Katana amp, but it didn't have the same clean punch. 

@James Bond

Sorry to chronicle my Jubilee journey so much here, but hey, I've wanted one forever so I want it sounding right and no one IRL cares about my amp rambling :P

I swapped all the tubes. That solved the power issue and hissing. Oh my fuck. This thing is so fucking loud, it is glorious. Smoked in a band setting. I have a powerful drummer and had zero issue. The high gain actually cut through, that is something I've never got to really experience. Absolutely amazing. THAT is what I want! Didn't even max the volume. Had the output master on 6 and the lead master at 5 at the most. The 5 watt setting even had a ton of power. 

Ran 4 cable method with my Helix. Effects finally sounded great, and the delays and reverbs were clear in the loop (they were horrible at the front end, obviously). There is a weird latency issue when my guitar volume controls are lowered for cleans, but I'll figure that out. Not too worried, probably a cable.

Fuck. Yes.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

@James Bond

Sorry to chronicle my Jubilee journey so much here, but hey, I've wanted one forever so I want it sounding right and no one IRL cares about my amp rambling :P

I swapped all the tubes. That solved the power issue and hissing. Oh my fuck. This thing is so fucking loud, it is glorious. Smoked in a band setting. I have a powerful drummer and had zero issue. The high gain actually cut through, that is something I've never got to really experience. Absolutely amazing. THAT is what I want! Didn't even max the volume. Had the output master on 6 and the lead master at 5 at the most. The 5 watt setting even had a ton of power. 

Ran 4 cable method with my Helix. Effects finally sounded great, and the delays and reverbs were clear in the loop (they were horrible at the front end, obviously). There is a weird latency issue when my guitar volume controls are lowered for cleans, but I'll figure that out. Not too worried, probably a cable.

Fuck. Yes.

Glad to hear the tube swap went well. I feel like I've read reviews on the factory tubes being duds for many users. Should not be a thing for a UK made Marshall but alas -  at least it is fixed!

I actually recently went ahead with my lunchbox purchase - got the newer EVH 5150 LBXII-S. It was the only one in stock when I went so I was a little worried that the Red channel would be way too hot for my purposes (like it is on the bigger brother), but it's been great. So great that I'm thinking of leaving the Jubilee behind for the second time. :lol:

It succeeds in getting the "cranked Marshall" sound at ridiculously low volumes, so that's been more my thing lately. I read that despite being voiced like the Red channel it actually uses the gain stage from the bigger brother's Blue channel, so I suppose that makes sense. The Green channel sucks for clean but I generally roll my volume off anyways. Gets a solid crunch though!

Also recently got a steal on a used Boss MS-3 in mint condition so I'm finally able to experience the 4 cable method, and what a difference for reverb and delay. I don't mind delay out front, but I'm with you overall. I know a lot of players also like modulations in the loop too but I much prefer the more present sound of them out front.

• Like 2

On 7/22/2021 at 12:17 PM, James Bond said:

Glad to hear the tube swap went well. I feel like I've read reviews on the factory tubes being duds for many users. Should not be a thing for a UK made Marshall but alas -  at least it is fixed!

I actually recently went ahead with my lunchbox purchase - got the newer EVH 5150 LBXII-S. It was the only one in stock when I went so I was a little worried that the Red channel would be way too hot for my purposes (like it is on the bigger brother), but it's been great. So great that I'm thinking of leaving the Jubilee behind for the second time. :lol:

It succeeds in getting the "cranked Marshall" sound at ridiculously low volumes, so that's been more my thing lately. I read that despite being voiced like the Red channel it actually uses the gain stage from the bigger brother's Blue channel, so I suppose that makes sense. The Green channel sucks for clean but I generally roll my volume off anyways. Gets a solid crunch though!

Also recently got a steal on a used Boss MS-3 in mint condition so I'm finally able to experience the 4 cable method, and what a difference for reverb and delay. I don't mind delay out front, but I'm with you overall. I know a lot of players also like modulations in the loop too but I much prefer the more present sound of them out front.

That's awesome! I'd love to try a small EVH, they look amazing. I'm sure you could jam with it, too.

That Boss is a pretty rad unit, too!

Wonder what amp I'll GAS for next. I still think the SV20 would be cool ...

On 7/15/2021 at 12:43 PM, Voodoochild said:

I'm trying to find any info on the electric guitar Slash played for UTLH and You're Crazy, but I'm not really finding anything. It's obviously a single coil guitar. I tried to emulate that with my Les Paul on single coil mode effect on the Katana amp, but it didn't have the same clean punch. 

Probably a soundhole pickup for an acoustic. Check out Cobain's in the unplugged. Or off the top of my head, Realign by Godsmack acoustic. They have that twangy kind of sound.

13 hours ago, AxlisOld said:

Probably a soundhole pickup for an acoustic. Check out Cobain's in the unplugged. Or off the top of my head, Realign by Godsmack acoustic. They have that twangy kind of sound.

I don't know man, you got me really confused here. I was sure he used just an electric guitar (probably a Tele or Stratocaster), while on Used To Love Her he used his Guild AJF30 with that type of pickup. Now I'm not sure of anything. :confused:

• 2 months later...

I've been saving up for a Gibson J200, but tempted to just pick up Finck's signature electric and spend something lower end for an acoustic. I really need to get in and have a play about though, I don't want to jump the gun like I did with my Takamine 12 string, though luckily, that paid off!

5 hours ago, Dean said:

I've been saving up for a Gibson J200, but tempted to just pick up Finck's signature electric and spend something lower end for an acoustic. I really need to get in and have a play about though, I don't want to jump the gun like I did with my Takamine 12 string, though luckily, that paid off!

I have a J100. I lucked out and got it on Craigslist in 2011. It was in some shady trailer park and the dude sold it to me for only $800. He said he got it in 2000 but its a 2007 model, maybe it was stolen. Anyways, its a lot cheaper than a J200 for a similar kinda thing

• Like 1

On 10/17/2021 at 10:54 PM, ZoSoRose said:

I have a J100. I lucked out and got it on Craigslist in 2011. It was in some shady trailer park and the dude sold it to me for only $800. He said he got it in 2000 but its a 2007 model, maybe it was stolen. Anyways, its a lot cheaper than a J200 for a similar kinda thing

Man! What a steal. Ask no questions and all that...that is a bargain, I'll look into it - essentially I just want to buy a six string that will be with me for the long haul, and either a J100, 200 or something similar would be just that!

• 1 month later...

not going for robins tone exactly, but how does he get this synthy guitar tone in this video? according to that rig rundown he did in 2018 he was still using amps when he rejoined NIN in 2008. I assume he is using the Marshall TSL100, and a noise gate, but what is the effect that makes it sound like more than just a Marshall? a fuzz?