The Strokes

Snake Eyes

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NOOO!! Why do they have to come back?!? We already have enough untalented jerks over there thinking they are cool (btw, being cool means that you are just another brick in the wall)

Bands like this killed rock!

You do realize they're credited (along with a very small handful of other bands) for revitalizing the whole rock scene in the early '00s, right?

I'm looking forward to this very much. I'm a big fan.

NOOO!! Why do they have to come back?!? We already have enough untalented jerks over there thinking they are cool (btw, being cool means that you are just another brick in the wall)

Bands like this killed rock!

You do realize they're credited (along with a very small handful of other bands) for revitalizing the whole rock scene in the early '00s, right?

yeah?? revitalizing the rock scene in the ´00s??!! Boy... the rock scene died in the ´00s!!

Btw...a little advice: think for yourself. I don´t mind whatever the rest of the world says; I have my own personality and opinion... and I think they are average

... eh!! But who cares musical quality when you´re cool!! Yes, I´m being sarcastic.

yeah?? revitalizing the rock scene in the ´00s??!! Boy... the rock scene died in the ´00s!!

You're rather close-minded if you think rock music died in the '00s.

Regardless, I was speaking of facts: whether or not you liked the music being produced, the early '00s was noted for being the era of rock-revival thanks to bands like Interpol, The White Stripes, The Strokes, etc. The NY rock scene flourished and a bunch of garage rock bands emerged. To say you disliked these bands is fine, but to say rock died in the '00s when numerous rock bands started appearing on the front covers of magazines, taking over radio again and selling out arenas for the first time since the mid-'90s is patently false. It wasn't coincidental that GN'R received a huge bump in "trendiness" last decade (remember when Greatest Hits was on the charts for months?) along with lots of older rock bands that suddenly became popular again.

Btw...a little advice: think for yourself.

Look who's talking.

Just because it's fashionable to wax nostalgic (as it has been for every generation) doesn't mean you have to shut yourself off from good music. Growing up in the '90s I remember people saying the '80s was the worst decade for both music and film, and now people hail the '80s and bash the '90s -- and as we enter this new decade it seems it's about time to start criticizing the '00s. I'm sure plenty of users here could give you very solid rock music recommendations from just the past ten years, but it seems you've already made up your mind on the matter.

I don´t mind whatever the rest of the world says; I have my own personality and opinion... and I think they are average

... eh!! But who cares musical quality when you´re cool!! Yes, I´m being sarcastic.

No, you're not being sarcastic -- you're just being snide and hypocritical. It was quite obvious that I was expressing my own opinion, just as you were yours, so the implication that I'm following a trend by defending a band that hasn't been "cool" in a number of years is inane and simplistic--not to mention rude.

My only point was that, of all things to criticize them for, saying they killed rock n' roll is probably one of the dumbest and easiest to refute. If you just plain don't like them then there's not much that can be done except to say, Oh well.

Edited by Estranged Reality

Regardless, I was speaking of facts: whether or not you liked the music being produced, the early '00s was noted for being the era of rock-revival thanks to bands like Interpol, The White Stripes, The Strokes, etc. The NY rock scene flourished and a bunch of garage rock bands emerged. To say you disliked these bands is fine, but to say rock died in the '00s when numerous rock bands started appearing on the front covers of magazines, taking over radio again and selling out arenas for the first time since the mid-'90s is patently false. It wasn't coincidental that GN'R received a huge bump in "trendiness" last decade (remember when Greatest Hits was on the charts for months?) along with lots of older rock bands that suddenly became popular again.

That´s the point. I don´t really care if a band appears on magazines, radio or TV (as apparently you do). I love a lot of "small" bands that aren´t famous at all. I don´t have to like a band just because everybody else do.

And you are mad if you think that The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, ACDC or Iron Maiden (for example) are still popular because of those shitty bands.

Btw, there were really good bands last decade... do you know The darkness? That´s real rock!!! rock3

But if you love The strokes... what can I say? Enjoy it!! :shrugs:

(You´re free to waste your time however you want)

Edited by izzygirl

That´s the point. I don´t really care if a band appears on magazines, radio or TV (as apparently you do). I love a lot of "small" bands that aren´t famous at all. I don´t have to like a band just because everybody else do.

No offense but you're still missing my point...I didn't say quality was linked to (over) exposure; just saying that rock became pretty big again in the early '00s because of the rock revival that these NY and English rock bands ushered in. So, to say they "killed" rock music seemed a bit odd to me, regardless of whether you enjoy their music or not.

And you are mad if you think that The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, ACDC or Iron Maiden (for example) are still popular because of those shitty bands.

Never said that.

Btw, there were really good bands last decade... do you know The darkness? That´s real rock!!! rock3

I do like some of their songs, but it's ironic that you'd mention them as "real rock," because they were always kind of a tongue-in-cheek band. Not Steel Panther-level parody but not entirely earnest either.

Anyway...everyone's got opinions and I was never really keen on Interpol so I can understand your perspective.

Edited by Estranged Reality

I do like some of their songs, but it's ironic that you'd mention them as "real rock," because they were always kind of a tongue-in-cheek band. Not Steel Panther-level parody but not entirely earnest either.

Ok... I see we have very different points of view about what rock means. But don´t get me wrong, I really respect your perspective. But, for me, rock is kind of like this:

or like this: