AC/DC Let There Be Rock blu-ray announced!

Zint

I'm thinking they must have found a good print if they are bothering with a blu-ray transfer.

Fuck man I still love the VHS so anything must be an improvement!!

I'm quite stoked for this! :shades:

A couple years ago I would have been satisfied with them making a transfer directly from the VHS to DVD - just to have the damn thing on DVD!

I actually bought a copy on DVD several years ago from HMV of all places.

Only found out later it was bootleg! :shrugs:

I was dubious about it though...the VHS looks better. :lol:

• 3 months later...

There's a review in at blu-ray.com

link

I guess it comes with a dvd version as well.That's good for the people that won't care for the blu-ray grain.

Some of these guys at this site get overly geeked out with fine details sometimes.

I STILL marvel over my VHS copy so this is going to be a vast improvement regardless!

"Aside from the original mix in Dolby Digital 2.0, this release sports an excellent lossless DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 mix which offers incredibly robust low end, bringing the propulsive riffs of AC/DC fully to life." B)

Extras sound cool too!

Pre-ordered and waiting. :)

AC/DC's not promoting it on their site. I guess they're just letting the record company put this one out. Brian has his book tour going on and he wouldn't have taken part in promoting it anyway.

Aren't there early Brian performances on "Plug Me In"? I don't know if they'll ever put out full length versions.

AC/DC's not promoting it on their site. I guess they're just letting the record company put this one out. Brian has his book tour going on and he wouldn't have taken part in promoting it anyway.

Aren't there early Brian performances on "Plug Me In"? I don't know if they'll ever put out full length versions.

There's a few songs from '81 and '83, plus a 9 song set from '83 I think on the 3 disc version. There's a few gems in it; Bedlam In Belgium, This House Is On Fire, etc. It would still be cool to get a complete show though IMO.

Just pulled out my bootleg DVD copy of LTBR today, as I'm working on a new tradelist for my bootlegs. Man, I can't wait to see this footage in HD!

Edited by Powerage5

There's a review in at blu-ray.com

link

I guess it comes with a dvd version as well.That's good for the people that won't care for the blu-ray grain.

Some of these guys at this site get overly geeked out with fine details sometimes.I STILL marvel over my VHS copy so this is going to be a vast improvement regardless!

"Aside from the original mix in Dolby Digital 2.0, this release sports an excellent lossless DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 mix which offers incredibly robust low end, bringing the propulsive riffs of AC/DC fully to life." B)

Extras sound cool too!

Pre-ordered and waiting. :)

i know what you mean. i've seen reviews of some titles (not LTBR) that made you think the BD would just suck, yet it's still an improvement over any other release of the title. i guess it's good to have somebody holding a high standard though.

man, i had to make a tough decision. LTBR, The Outlaw Josey Wales, and Breaking Bad Season 3 are all coming out the same day and I've been putting off the purchase of this Frankie Miller box set, so I decided to wait two weeks to get LTBR. I probably should have just waited on the Frankie Miller box set another couple of weeks, but it's good beer-drinking music and I've been in beer-drinking mode!

Hey Zint,

I found this post on the Steve Hoffman Forum:

Originally Posted by BRush

I worked on "Let There Be Rock" for almost 15 years, while I was working at Warners. The film was embroiled in tons of legal problems, I'm relieved that it is finally coming out. It took 12 years to wrestle the 16mm Original Negative out of the vaults in France, the film's producer filed bankruptcy and because of French laws, the rights went back to him. Even though the film was shot on 16mm, with only concert lighting, I think it looks fantastic. The audio sources were very limited and most of them were in mono. The original Stereo mix cut the frequencies in half, the highs went on the left, and the lows went on the right. The studio wanted a 5.1 mix, which I refused to do because of the limited quality of the elements, they also wanted a 16x9, which I also refused, because it was shot in 4x3, on 16mm. I didn't want to lose any of the image. I also left all of the grain in, the studio went in later and did some digital noise reduction on the video.

Considering what it is, I think it looks and sounds amazing. I definately interested in what you guys think

Obviously they got someone to do the 5.1, but they held firm on the 4:3 aspect ratio. No cropping was done.

Edited by artfromtex

It's rare when a film over 20 years old is worth getting on Blu Ray.

be careful with that line of thinking. i've seen some old movies that are stunning. it depends on how the original was filmed and what shape the original negative is in.

i haven't seen it on blu ray, but i have seen it on HDTV and "Lawrence of Arabia" is breathtakingly beautiful. "Patton" on BD is awesome as well. there are plenty others too.

oh yeah, "Viva Las Vegas" is otherworldly. check it out.

It's rare when a film over 20 years old is worth getting on Blu Ray.

This is a horrible generalization IMO. I'm still moderately new to Blu Ray, but from what I've purchased so far, the discs with massive improvements certainly outweigh the discs that don't. I'm still amazed that some movies were able to be cleaned up to look as crisp as they do...Alien is one that really comes to mind. Granted, not all movies look incredible, the Ghostbusters restoration was forgettable for sure.

Back on topic, still haven't picked it up. Really can't afford to drop $40 on it right now, I wish there was just a bare bones version...

Edited by Powerage5

The deluxe set comes with both the blu-ray and dvd versions.

Did a comparison and the blu-ray is the better format.

Age of a movie isn't so much a factor as to how a movie will look on blu-ray...it has to do more with the care given to the transfer by those in charge of restoration etc.,or lack thereof.

I'll prob. wind up getting the Bllu Ray, but I'm just basing what I said on videos I've bought & rented. I'm not a big Star Trek fan, but the reviewers had said because the show was shot in 35MM, it's crystal clear and the artificial backgrounds look even more artificial. All the technicolor movies from the 50s & 60s looked great. But there's times like Woodstock where you saw little difference between the two. The audio stood out mostly. I thought Matrix was going to impress the shit out of me on Blu Ray & it didn't.

A lot of people I know have been waiting for this one to come out, they're just happy it's out, just a little surprised it wasn't shot in widescreen at the time. But if something's not shot in widescreen, people would rather have a better looking print and deal with it, than mess with it. When Pink Floyd put Pulse out, they're better off keeping it standard (I think it's in widescreen) or offer both standard and widescreen versions.

I have some old movies out on Blu Ray, and so far it's the ones from the 50s & 60s in Technicolor that look great. And animated films. Heavy Metal's out and they gave favorable reviews for it.

They reviewed both versions of Fear and Loathing in DVD Beaver, and said that the more extras they add to one disc, the quality suffers a bit. Hard to tell though. The Criterion is a must own for the Hunter Thompson commentary, but the regular version stood out as being better video quality.

River Kwai is next, just got Taxi Driver, prob. get all the Kubrick ones this year. Curious to see how the Star Wars movies will look.

Lawrence of Arabia's not on Blu Ray.