When a obscure band you like gets popular, does it kinda piss you off?

SunnyDRE

When a obscure band you like gets popular, does it kinda piss you off?  

44 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest Len B'stard

Of course not, thats just ridiculous. If anything it makes me proud, it's like seeing a friend make good :) Sometimes the drastic change in fanbase is mildly amusing but i can't concieve why one would hold it against a band they like for becoming popular, surely that validates in a sense what you thought about them in the first instance i.e. that they're good.

I wanna see good bands get popular, that obscure for obscurities sake is just a mindfuck i can't comprehend. I mean, i spend enough time whining about the fact that the mainstreams a loada shit, stands to reason i'd want good bands/artists to be where the shit is, in the limelight :)

Edited by sugaraylen

Of course not, thats just ridiculous. If anything it makes me proud, it's like seeing a friend make good :) Sometimes the drastic change in fanbase is mildly amusing but i can't concieve why one would hold it against a band they like for becoming popular, surely that validates in a sense what you thought about them in the first instance i.e. that they're good.

Good post.

I'm feel like I'm of the same mind....just sometimes, IDK - its like I'm like......"I told you about that band 6 months ago, and you blew them and me off, biatch!!"

:lol:

sorta for me. on one hand, it's always great to see a band get the recognition they deserve. no way around that. however, some of the things that i like so much about small bands are the tiny, hole in the wall venues, close knit fanbases, being able to easily interact with the band without having to win some meet and greet contest, and etc. it goes both ways in my mind.

ps if state radio or barefoot truth ever hit it big... you heard it here first.

Edited by Mansin Humanity

I remeber telling my ex that Linkin Park (don't laugh) was going to be big, at least a year before they hit.

Believe it or not, I bought their CD, Hybrid Theory in the $1 bin long before it was popular. I remember she would be pissed at me for playing it all the time in my car every time we went somewhere.

6 months later, she WAS TRYING TO TELL ME about them. :)

Same thing with Panic At the Disco and a couple of other bands.

I even "Street Teamed" (lol) for At The Drive In and Jimmy Eat World (They sold out).

Edited by SunnyDRE

I remeber telling my ex that Linkin Park (don't laugh) was going to be big, at least a year before they hit.

Believe it or not, I bought their CD, Hybrid Theory in the $1 bin long before it was popular. I remember she would be pissed at me for playing it all the time in my car every time we went somewhere.

6 months later, she WAS TRYING TO TELL ME about them. :)

Same thing with Panic At the Disco and a couple of other bands.

I even "Street Teamed" (lol) for At The Drive In and Jimmy Eat World (They sold out).

I did that with Linkin Park too, got the album a week or so after it came out. I still like it, I don't like much of their newer stuff though, got a bit samey I think.

Is this about Arcade Fire?

Not really...maybe.

The grammy thread did kinda help me think of the topic. maybe I should have put that in the initial posting.

I heard about them when me and my roommate at the time, went to the florida a&m v. bethune cookman classic (big deal orlando and central florida).

after the game, me and roommate went out to the strip and the chick i was talking to most the night, kept talking about them; so when we got back to daytona, i picked up the cd (had to order it), and I remember my roommate talking mad shit.

...a couple of months later.

In way yes. There's a band called The Virginmarys who opened for Slash actually, and I fell in love with their music. They've only got a record of six songs but I think it's outstanding, I would love them to make it big, and they deserve it. However, I don't think I'd like it if the likes of Guns became the biggest band on the planet again, and all my friends started listening to them. It's kind'a my thing, if that makes any sense. I'm the "pretentious rock guy".

Really depends on the band I guess. In the case of obscure bands, I'd be happy for them.

Is this about Arcade Fire?

Not really...maybe.

The grammy thread did kinda help me think of the topic. maybe I should have put that in the initial posting.

I heard about them when me and my roommate at the time, went to the florida a&m v. bethune cookman classic (big deal orlando and central florida).

after the game, me and roommate went out to the strip and the chick i was talking to most the night, kept talking about them; so when we got back to daytona, i picked up the cd (had to order it), and I remember my roommate talking mad shit.

...a couple of months later.

haha I had a feeling that might have had something to do with it. Honestly I had no idea they were so unknown until this morning, maybe I just spend too much time on the internet

http://whoisarcadefire.tumblr.com/

Edited by sweetness

I kind of had it the other way around. Knew a bunch of guys from a disbanded band that had once been very famous (Strawberry Alarmclock with songs like Good Morning Starshine, Incense & Peppermints...) but no one knew of them by the time I knew them.

Also, hung out when I was too young with a band called Nitty Gritty Dirt Band who did okay in the south. Thought their successes were great for them.

But the coolest was Tom Cochrane, family friend, who bought our house. He was well known with Red Rider (Lunatic Fringe) but really exploded with his Field of Dreams fame.

I know, you've never heard of any of them, have you? :shrugs:

My answer is only sort of on topic:

It pisses me off, that one girl I know starts to like literally every artist or band I put on facebook or whatever the minute it happens. It's like she listens to the song or the artist and then also "likes" them or tells me about how great they are, just to impress me or whatever. It's so fucking annoying. I'm kinda feeling like "Yo, this is MY band, girl!". When one of my buddies starts liking the same shit as I do, it's great, but this particular girl is just fucking annoying.

I thought about telling her about Slayer just to see what happens.

I kind of had it the other way around. Knew a bunch of guys from a disbanded band that had once been very famous (Strawberry Alarmclock with songs like Good Morning Starshine, Incense & Peppermints...) but no one knew of them by the time I knew them.

Also, hung out when I was too young with a band called Nitty Gritty Dirt Band who did okay in the south. Thought their successes were great for them.

But the coolest was Tom Cochrane, family friend, who bought our house. He was well known with Red Rider (Lunatic Fringe) but really exploded with his Field of Dreams fame.

I know, you've never heard of any of them, have you? :shrugs:

I know them all.. :tongue2:

I didn't realize Stawberry AC did a version of Good Morning Starshine.I know the Oliver version.

Incense and Peppermints was a pretty big hit at the time!

But to answer the question.

The only thing that bothers me about an obscure band making it big is having to venture to larger venues to see them.The intimacy factor is lost.

First time I saw Rush,there were approx. 2,300 people there.(yeah,they were obscure once).

On another level,if an obscure band makes it big is there's the copy cat factor and the industry raping the bands/genre takes.

Designer grunge clothing and all that,for example.

Punk morphed into tippy-toe new wave (thank god Hardcore kept it real...for a while).

But,when a band like Arcade Fire can upset the Grammy applecart..it's a tip of the hat to music from the heart,music forged from passion succeeding over obvious shlock designed to sell.

THAT'S how it should play out every year!

In general, I get proud. But I hate it when they get popular for the wrong reason, like when their most radio-friendly song catches on. You feel like you have to explain that that is not what they are really about. It's like when you talk about GN'R and people go "I love them too! I love Sweet Child/Paradise City/November Rain/Don't Cry!"

My answer is only sort of on topic:

It pisses me off, that one girl I know starts to like literally every artist or band I put on facebook or whatever the minute it happens. It's like she listens to the song or the artist and then also "likes" them or tells me about how great they are, just to impress me or whatever. It's so fucking annoying. I'm kinda feeling like "Yo, this is MY band, girl!". When one of my buddies starts liking the same shit as I do, it's great, but this particular girl is just fucking annoying.

I thought about telling her about Slayer just to see what happens.

I do believe that's called a "crush" Spoono. -_-

I guess you're right, but maaan, that's what I feared the most. :lol:

Guest Len B'stard

Sort of... yes. Can't say much about rock bands but I have listened to tons of mixtapes from rappers who are now famous (Wiz Khalifa is a huge example).

Me too, was listening to 50 Cent way before anyone thought he was worth a damn...many still don't :lol: