When a obscure band you like gets popular, does it kinda piss you off?

SunnyDRE

When a obscure band you like gets popular, does it kinda piss you off?  

44 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

don't think i've ever liked an obscure band that got big. i'm always late to the party.

Aww man, give yourself some credit.

You along with the rest of us on this board are first on New Guns. :thumbsup:

...sorry Sunny, but the topic is not about big bands that went down the drain. ;)

No... I've been playing in bands al my life. I get where fans can get kinda weird if their band gets big because now all of a sudden all these people that wouldn't have liked the band had they not gotten the exposure are now totally digging the band just because it is cool to like them, that gets kinda annoying....

But from a band members perspective, they now can enjoy the fruits of their labor and make some good cash doing what they love, and to be honest, that's every musicians dream, to be able to solely play music and not worry about bills, or getting dropped from a label, etc. And that is awesome.

In general, I get proud. But I hate it when they get popular for the wrong reason, like when their most radio-friendly song catches on. You feel like you have to explain that that is not what they are really about. It's like when you talk about GN'R and people go "I love them too! I love Sweet Child/Paradise City/November Rain/Don't Cry!"

Great post.

I kind of had it the other way around. Knew a bunch of guys from a disbanded band that had once been very famous (Strawberry Alarmclock with songs like Good Morning Starshine, Incense & Peppermints...) but no one knew of them by the time I knew them.

Also, hung out when I was too young with a band called Nitty Gritty Dirt Band who did okay in the south. Thought their successes were great for them.

But the coolest was Tom Cochrane, family friend, who bought our house. He was well known with Red Rider (Lunatic Fringe) but really exploded with his Field of Dreams fame.

I know, you've never heard of any of them, have you? :shrugs:

I know them all.. :tongue2:

I didn't realize Stawberry AC did a version of Good Morning Starshine.I know the Oliver version.

Incense and Peppermints was a pretty big hit at the time!

Incense and Peppermints sounds very familiar. I've got it playing in my head, pretty sure it's the same tune as what you are talking of.

Any Canadian who was over the age of 10 in the early '90s probably knows who Tom Cochrane is. Mad Mad World was a big album for him. Lots of rotation on Much Music, back when they used to be a music station. Red Rider too, enjoyed pretty good success in the '80s.

Edited by KBear

No. The whole hipster mentality that values obscurity and niche culture to measure a band is nothing more than pretentious short-sightedness. If an obscure band gets popular I think "Wow, the wold must be catching on." If the band gets worse as it gets more popular, it's the music that should be measured, not the level of popularity.

I've seen a couple bands before they were popular and have gotten a few results -

in 2008 I got into and then saw MGMT a couple months after Oracular Spectacular dropped and they were pretty terrible live. A couple months later, Kids dropped as a single stateside (October) and they blew up in 2009. I saw them again in June 2009 with a new backing band and they were one of the best and most crowded shows of the festival.

in 2007 I saw The Black Keys and thought they were one of the most amazing shows of the festival. I saw them again the next year at Terminal 5, and in the last year they kinda took off after Tighten Up was huge hit. Now they're headlining festivals and I couldn't be happier for them.

In 2007 I saw Kings of Leon and thought they were shite. Slept through their headlining set 3 years later.

Not band related,but I was watching some early Tom Green the other night.

I had the early stuff on tape when it was still on community cable t.v.

It was our dirty little secret and,at that time,over the top shock comedy.

You let cool people in on the secret.

Then it started to catch on and bam...it's on the Comedy Network.

Then the whole thing went college-trendy.

Then MTV started the new show and the whole thing went Hollywod-esque lame..and worse..the movies.

Tremendous bummer to see the whole thing water down to nothing.

Why would it? If I like a band that noone's ever heard of, I tell any of my friends that will listen to me. I try to round up some mates to go see them live. I post their stuff online. Why would I get annoyed if a band I know and love became successful? It's only fucking 'hipsters' that are 'too cool for mainstream' that have that view, it's wank. Little do they realise, that all the unknown bands they're into are more than likely influenced by some of the most successful bands in previous years, in one way or another.

Why would it? If I like a band that noone's ever heard of, I tell any of my friends that will listen to me. I try to round up some mates to go see them live. I post their stuff online. Why would I get annoyed if a band I know and love became successful? It's only fucking 'hipsters' that are 'too cool for mainstream' that have that view, it's wank. Little do they realise, that all the unknown bands they're into are more than likely influenced by some of the most successful bands in previous years, in one way or another.

I couldnt have said it better. If there's an awesome band out there, then everybody deserves to like them.