Elkheart Singer Talks About GN'R As his First Show

kyrie

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/dc9/2011/02/my_first_show_elkharts_travis.php

What was the first show you ever saw with your own money?

Guns N Roses, Metallica and Faith No More at the Astrodome in 1992. It was September, we'd just started high school, and my mom dropped me, Chris Ginsbach, the girl he was dating and her friend off in the parking lot for the show. It was still daytime when we found our seats, and the light streaming through the domed roof wasn't the dark and dangerous rock 'n' roll vibe I was hoping for. Neither was Faith No More. They were terrible. Metallica took the stage about 20 minutes later, and Chris and I headbanged and watched the swarming mosh pit below. The girls went to the bathroom or something; I have no idea. We didn't care about them during Metallica. By the end of the set it was dark, we'd thrown rock 'n' roll horns in the air for the first time (a big moment for a Baptist kid) and we were feeling cool. Then G'n'F'n'R took the stage. Chris started making out with his girlfriend -- and I sat awkwardly next to her friend for the next few hours. I was 14 and profoundly un-smooth. Luckily the show was awesome. Slash did his guitar solo on top of the piano routine and Axl came out for the encore in a red hooded boxing robe with the Houston Rockets logo on the back. It was rad.