Live EP

kyrie

Ok... got to thinking about the live DVD thing, all the rumours about that over the years, and the fact that I almost never put on music DVDs.

Would anyone have interest in a Live EP though?

I'm thinking a 6 song thing... maybe even an iTunes only deal.

There's a couple cover songs (Sonic Reducer, Whole Lotta Rosie) plus a couple of CD songs that I'd love to get an official release of, and I'm assuming the band has them.

Not in place of a new album, but just something to keep interest up/keep the fanbase happy, and it could be a cool promotional gig for a US leg/other tour dates.

I vote for a dvd. I actually spent yesterday planning out a dream GNR DVD in my head. Oh, did I say DVD? I ment BLU - RAY!

Yeah I might be in a minority on this. I'm just not a "sit and watch a concert on TV" guy. I go to tons of them, and I listen to music, but when it comes to DVDs it's just movies/TV series. I'm guessing a ton want a full blown release though. Of course since we're dreaming, let it be both ;)

A live e.p. would be great. Anything would be great. Why is it so hard for this band to release ANYthing since '94? I was thinking about the lack of output from this band and if we are heading into another dry spell. Below I have listed how the group started out and how it seemed like it took forever for UYI to come out but really the band was always productive and getting product out.

GN’R official output 1987-2011

• 1987 – album + single & videos

• 1988 – album + 3 singles & videos

• 1989 – song on soundtrack (w/ alice cooper)

• 1990 – 2 singles (songs on soundtrack/benefit)

• 1991 – 2 albums + singles & videos

• 1992 – live VHS set + singles & videos

• 1993 – album + singles & videos

• ……………………………………….

• 1998 – VHS video collection

• 1999 – live album + song on soundtrack

• ……………………………………….

• 2008 – album + single

It is amazing to me that there are songs that are over 10 years still waiting to be released...

A live e.p. would be great. Anything would be great. Why is it so hard for this band to release ANYthing since '94? I was thinking about the lack of output from this band and if we are heading into another dry spell. Below I have listed how the group started out and how it seemed like it took forever for UYI to come out but really the band was always productive and getting product out.

• ……………………………………….

• ……………………………………….

• 2008 – album + single

It is amazing to me that there are songs that are over 10 years still waiting to be released...

Keep in mind that the new lineup was built over years, I think of it like rebuilding a band rather than one member coming and going... it takes a long time to get back to the level you were at.

For me, this lineup is it, and it's really only been a few years now. DJ/Ron/Richard, Tommy, Chris/Dizzy, Frank, and obviously Axl. I liked the 06 lineup with Finck, like this one even more.

So I'd love to see more and more come out and the ball start rolling but I totally understand why it has taken this long.

• ……………………………………….

• ……………………………………….

• 2008 – album + single

Keep in mind that the new lineup was built over years, I think of it like rebuilding a band rather than one member coming and going... it takes a long time to get back to the level you were at.

For me, this lineup is it, and it's really only been a few years now. DJ/Ron/Richard, Tommy, Chris/Dizzy, Frank, and obviously Axl. I liked the 06 lineup with Finck, like this one even more.

So I'd love to see more and more come out and the ball start rolling but I totally understand why it has taken this long.

Maybe you can understand that but there have been plenty of musicians over the years to complete enough material for release. Think about what the band accomplished in a 3 year period from 88-91 with 2 member changes. We are in an era where news, music, updates etc. can be released from Axl's phone or personal computer and we get less information or music than we did when none of that was possible. I got more updates in Hit Parader in '89 than I do now.

• ……………………………………….

• ……………………………………….

• 2008 – album + single

Maybe you can understand that but there have been plenty of musicians over the years to complete enough material for release. Think about what the band accomplished in a 3 year period from 88-91 with 2 member changes. We are in an era where news, music, updates etc. can be released from Axl's phone or personal computer and we get less information or music than we did when none of that was possible. I got more updates in Hit Parader in '89 than I do now.

And look how long Brian Wilson took to finish Smile.

Look how long Dr. Dre took with his new album.

There's no point in comparing the eras because there's different people involved.

Nor did you get more updates in 89. You've got Ron and Tommy and sometimes Axl on Twitter. You had the band touring throughout the end of 2009 and virtually all of 2010. So the band is idle for a few months and you're worried? I dunno man I don't understand it.

I'm a huge Tool fan... look how long they go in their album cycle. 4, 5, 6 years consistently. Maynard talks more about making wine then about his bands. Heck I'm seeing A Perfect Circle this summer and they tour less than GN'R.

It's all relative. Just relax, things will come or they won't - in the end, it's just a band.

A live EP with a new studio song would be great...Sounds a bit weird, but I think it could work. 6 tracks, the first would be a new single and rest of the 5 would be, lets say, Jungle, Brownstone, Better, If The World (or some slower song from CD) and Paradise City.

Edited by jekylhyde

An EP/CD of exclusively live songs would be interesting if composed SOLELY of soundboard-recorded tunes onto a great dynamic range (like 24/96 Khz); other than that, everything it pretty much 'out there' if you chase them. As for a bluray disc, I have no idea to where would somebody get 1080p pro-shot material (at least legally) on Guns N' Roses.

Either way, I used to work for a cable provider and taped the 2002 VMA performance right off the sattelite onto a VHS tape at the night of the event. I played it once to check the quality. If that can be of use....

An EP/CD of exclusively live songs would be interesting if composed SOLELY of soundboard-recorded tunes onto a great dynamic range (like 24/96 Khz); other than that, everything it pretty much 'out there' if you chase them. As for a bluray disc, I have no idea to where would somebody get 1080p pro-shot material (at least legally) on Guns N' Roses.

Either way, I used to work for a cable provider and taped the 2002 VMA performance right off the sattelite onto a VHS tape at the night of the event. I played it once to check the quality. If that can be of use....

The theory here would be as an official release from the band, not a bootleg. I'm not talking about doing something myself.

Just think it would be a cool promo for upcoming live shows.

STP did a live "album" that you got free when you bought tickets for their last tour, was kinda cool.

People do their weddings in Hi Def and get Blu Ray copies, and I think for the past 5 years, most shows use HD cameras when they use cameras for the screens. When they're doing a concert intended for DVD release, then they start using the same setup they use at football games (like when they do the camera over the crowd shots), and it's usually the same people. I'm assuming GNR have tons of footage at their disposal where they could make a home video out of it.

Tool have said they don't want to put out a DVD of their concerts because they want people to experience the show. Anyone who's been to their shows knows that they'd have to do a live show with an audience, and mix it in with doing the same show without the crowd there so the director can get his shots, and edit all of the movies into it somehow. There's a lot going on around you at a Tool concert that it would be hard for cameras to get it all properly. It would wind up being like "Cliff Em All" otherwise, going to the fans for the footage, mixed in with what was aired on TV and what's in their vaults.

Geffen was lazy with the GNR reissues on DVD. I've never seen any band put a full length concert out on 2 separate DVDs. Any kid could copy their VHS copy over to DVD. All that was, was a replacement copy if the tape was fucked up. But anyone who tosses out their videotapes because they burned it on DVD is making a mistake. There's a lot of out of print stuff that's never been released on DVD for copyright reasons, and they become big $$$ with collectors.

My best find is still "Live Like a Suicide" on tape at a Wherehouse for a quarter, about 10 years ago. I sold it off for much more, but I would've rather given it to someone who was just getting into the band, really needed to have it, and parted ways with it for cheap. Kind of regret not holding on to it, but when rent's due...

Guest Sleeping Like An Angel

I'd love a behind the scenes DVD thing with live songs played too.

Thinking back those Making of videos were really cool.

I would love to have a professionl shot, full lenght concert dvd. I have a pretty good collection of dvd's from all sorts of artists, and have always perfered watching them over just listening. Especially live material.

Agreed. It takes some bands to a whole new level. Sometimes I find it weird that there must be millions of GNR fans out there who have no idea what they look like performing when even now that is a major part of their character to me.

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

"keep interest up/keep the fanbase happy"

We (the enthusiasts) only comprise a fraction of the fan base though. Guns N' Roses operates on a very casual basis (which suits about 95% of the market).

The album (2008) and subsequent tour (2009-2010) satisfied a lot of people. I would say GN'R don't have to move again until 2012.

Sometimes I can see why Guns N' Roses might categorize the hardcore followers along with the reunionists (in the sense that both have equal intensity to their agendas).

Edited by NewGNRnOldGNR