Favorite Beatles Album?

Street_Of_Dreams

It's tough to tell. I'd give a nod to The Beatles for its sprawling crazy perfect mess, Rubber Soul for the boys at there most vulnerable, Revolver cuz its awesome, and Abbey Road for damn fine tunes and flawless medley. I think I'll say Rubber Soul for now but who knows?

One thing I know for sure is (In my most humble opinion) A Hard Day's Night is there best early album. So many good songs and the movie was alot of fun.

Yeah at my dads house years ago I heard Rubber Soul and Sgt Peppers. Even as a kid my dad tells me I sang along to Rubber Soul but sat down and listened to Sgt Peppers which I think means more. I always thought that was my favourite for years until I adopted Revolver but fuck... whichever album I am listening to I would defend to the end of the earth.

Edited by JAC185

Guest Len B'stard

can a man choose from among the stars in the sky? every single album they made was distilled perfection and i'm not being romantic because this is the only band i can really say that about, it's like the big bang, creationists always say like, by probability, how likely is it for the big bang to've actually happened, it's one in many bajillions and i always say, as i do with The Beatles is, yeah, but it only happened once...and The Beatles truly are the big bang of popular music...and it won't happen again, not for a bajillion years and unlike the big bang of Science Class, this one'll be documented so decent competition is even harder to envisage, it'll require the facts, the same facts that make The Beatles imperial...and i haven't even seen those facts approached, let alone equalled...or bettered.

The few cornball statistics that you read of, regarding Glee, or fastest selling or whatever are all pheripheral, the definitive article eludes us to this very day.

Edited by sugaraylen

White Album and the demos.

But my favorite compilation is the Yellow Submarine soundtrack CD, but not the version with all the instrumentals. Was also cool hearing the DVD in surround when it came out, bootleggers have taken the surround mixes from the DVD of the movie and the Anthology and put them out on the file share sites.

every single album they made was distilled perfection

this is the only band i can really say that about

This.. :)

They are all my favourites.Whichever one I put on I get completely swept away in..every time.

I go through moods and cycles of which ones I listen to...but god damn...it's all just so beautiful.

If push came to shove, I'd say Sgt Pepper, just because there isn't a single track I'd skip...Getting Better is a bit much for me, but I gladly let it slide :D

I'd also have Revolver and Magical Mystery Tour right up there, fucking brilliant.

Conversely, I fucking hate the White Album. Besides USSR, Dear Prudence, Revolution #1, Helter Skelter, ...Gently Weeps and maybe 1 or 2 others, I think it's crap (I know that looks like I've named a lot of tracks, but remember, it is a massive double album)...it's just ALL OVER the place.

Guest Len B'stard

While they are fun and great, I don't know of anyone who prefers it to the mature sound.

I could possibly and because they are the best examples of the Lennon McCartney craft. Misery i think is one of their best songs. Those early albums had an energy and a joyfulness that is still present in later albums i suppose, here and there but it's more seasoned. Also i just love the craft aspect, the mechanical aspect of like, a production line of songs, just knocking out classic like boom, done, boom, done, boom, done, to me that was their real prodigious period when they were really a unit, they were just fucking brilliant then and totally totally untouchable. Beatles for Sale is just exceptional as an album, i'm a loser, babys in black, these are brilliant tracks, Hard Days Night, which is has a great deal of written to order tracks is just an incomporable classic. Thats what so amazing to me, that they were like, routinely doing this shit and producing such outstanding product time after time.

I really can't claim a preference between early and later period but if i was pushed, if i was asked OK, desert island blah blah blah, i'd go for the earlier tracks. I like tight songs, pop songs, melody and harmonised vocals and kinda simple three chord shit that gets your toes tapping, in the end i think thats what they were best and and everything else they did was a slightly distorted or accentuated or otherwise tampered with (and i mean that in the best possible sense) version of that (revolution 9 :lol:) i don't think its possible to undervalue the brilliance of those early songs.

I mean to think Paul McCartney wrote I'll Follow the Sun when he was 15 years old, Jesus Lord...

Everytime i stop and really really think about the notion of two guys in their early twenties sitting eyeball to eyeball and just trading fucking lyrics and chords and knocking out these classics in such a cavalier fashion it just totally astounds and flabbergasts me. No, no, i just don't have the words for it..

Edited by sugaraylen

While they are fun and great, I don't know of anyone who prefers it to the mature sound.

I could possibly and because they are the best examples of the Lennon McCartney craft. Misery i think is one of their best songs. Those early albums had an energy and a joyfulness that is still present in later albums i suppose, here and there but it's more seasoned. Also i just love the craft aspect, the mechanical aspect of like, a production line of songs, just knocking out classic like boom, done, boom, done, boom, done, to me that was their real prodigious period when they were really a unit, they were just fucking brilliant then and totally totally untouchable. Beatles for Sale is just exceptional as an album, i'm a loser, babys in black, these are brilliant tracks, Hard Days Night, which is has a great deal of written to order tracks is just an incomporable classic. Thats what so amazing to me, that they were like, routinely doing this shit and producing such outstanding product time after time.

I really can't claim a preference between early and later period but if i was pushed, if i was asked OK, desert island blah blah blah, i'd go for the earlier tracks. I like tight songs, pop songs, melody and harmonised vocals and kinda simple three chord shit that gets your toes tapping, in the end i think thats what they were best and and everything else they did was a slightly distorted or accentuated or otherwise tampered with (and i mean that in the best possible sense) version of that (revolution 9 :lol:) i don't think its possible to undervalue the brilliance of those early songs.

I mean to think Paul McCartney wrote I'll Follow the Sun when he was 15 years old, Jesus Lord...

Everytime i stop and really really think about the notion of two guys in their early twenties sitting eyeball to eyeball and just trading fucking lyrics and chords and knocking out these classics in such a cavalier fashion it just totally astounds and flabbergasts me. No, no, i just don't have the words for it..

It was magic, pure magic. Never again will there be a trio quite like, or nearly as talented as John, Paul and the ever underrated George.*

*= Yes, Ringo was a great drummer no doubt, but I'm talking in terms of songwriting strength.

Personally, I wonder what kind of songs John and George could've come up with together, like a "Lennon/Harrison" song rather than a "Lennon/McCarthy" track. Lennon and George were the two best songwriters of the group IMO.

Edited by Count Drugcula