Axl's Message/Article in the unreleased Chinese Democracy booklet

ITW 2012

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if Axl ever conisdered writing a book about China, or politics in general. He has so much to say, but I'm afraid the confines of GNR and the pressures of a record business may limit his ability to say things. But he needs to say things because the only way society's change and wrongs are righted are when people like Axl are allowed to inspire and rally us with their thoughts and feelings.

wonder if it's going to be in the next records booklet

On that note, I wonder if the next record (if there ever is one) will have a similar grand over-arching theme? Obviously, Chinese Democracy isn't some cool sounding title it has some meaning attached to it that is global and understood by all who know about China or communism. I don't think the next record will have anything to do with China and it would be a mistake imo to continue on about China. Hopefully, it does have some theme though as that's always kind of cool imo. It can be more subtle though, like Radiohead's The King Of Limbs is indirectly about nature despite it's electronic feel, the songs have an organic nature vibe about them. I hope Axl puts out a COHESIVE album more than anything else but I definitely see some global them being attached to it regardless. That's hard to do when you record over such long periods of time with different people though.

/end mini rant

With all the injustice in the world, it may be daunting for Axl to try and figure out which one he'll conquer next. There's no shortage of inspiration in Africa. I wonder what Axl has to say about the strife in the Sudan, for example.

This, to me, illustrates the biggest difference between the old band and the new band, and why to me, the old band can't stand the test of time. They just wanted to do drugs and write songs about doing drugs. But to me, that seems kind of unfair. With so many people in need, I think artists have a responsibility to use their gifts to heal us all and fix the world. Axl showed a staggering commitment to this in his Chinese Democracy preface, and I'd like to see him take the band even further in this direction. Maybe we could stop limiting our perspective on Axl's art by calling it a "band" making "music," and instead they could be thought of as good will ambassadors bringing change through art.

Time will be kind to Chinese Democracy imo, anyone who can't appreciate it I wouldn't lose sleep over, it's their loss because it's a fucking journey.

The album is a masterpiece and people will come to know it someday.

hmm interesting, i always though of Chinese Democracy as being in the same category as Velvet Underground And Nico. Very inspirational and underrated at first. Maybe years later Chinese Democracy will demand respect like VU.

wonder if it's going to be in the next records booklet

On that note, I wonder if the next record (if there ever is one) will have a similar grand over-arching theme? Obviously, Chinese Democracy isn't some cool sounding title it has some meaning attached to it that is global and understood by all who know about China or communism. I don't think the next record will have anything to do with China and it would be a mistake imo to continue on about China. Hopefully, it does have some theme though as that's always kind of cool imo. It can be more subtle though, like Radiohead's The King Of Limbs is indirectly about nature despite it's electronic feel, the songs have an organic nature vibe about them. I hope Axl puts out a COHESIVE album more than anything else but I definitely see some global them being attached to it regardless. That's hard to do when you record over such long periods of time with different people though.

/end mini rant

With all the injustice in the world, it may be daunting for Axl to try and figure out which one he'll conquer next. There's no shortage of inspiration in Africa. I wonder what Axl has to say about the strife in the Sudan, for example.

This, to me, illustrates the biggest difference between the old band and the new band, and why to me, the old band can't stand the test of time. They just wanted to do drugs and write songs about doing drugs. But to me, that seems kind of unfair. With so many people in need, I think artists have a responsibility to use their gifts to heal us all and fix the world. Axl showed a staggering commitment to this in his Chinese Democracy preface, and I'd like to see him take the band even further in this direction. Maybe we could stop limiting our perspective on Axl's art by calling it a "band" making "music," and instead they could be thought of as good will ambassadors bringing change through art.

i read an article the other day about lack of political awareness in '00's song. All though i don't think axl's really bothered about what goes on around the world all that much... how many songs has he written about world affairs?...

And if he really feels strongly about such issues then why not take an active role.... like Bono for example?

i am not saying he needs to do any if this. He is pretty awesome at what he does. But maybe we are reading a bit too much into it what with a member suggesting Axl should do an UN speech... yeah right thats gonna happen.

• 1 month later...

Time will be kind to Chinese Democracy imo, anyone who can't appreciate it I wouldn't lose sleep over, it's their loss because it's a fucking journey.

The album is a masterpiece and people will come to know it someday.

hmm interesting, i always though of Chinese Democracy as being in the same category as Velvet Underground And Nico. Very inspirational and underrated at first. Maybe years later Chinese Democracy will demand respect like VU.

I think people has come to know it already.............from day one!