Led Zeppelin

Izzy_Stradlin_XX

Here is how I look at it:

Zeppelin has fantastic music. Period.

Great music, lots of emotion, great musicianship, great songwriting, etc.

song after song, album after album...

it's freaky, they had very few misses throughout their time together.

It could've been freaky if they didn't 'borrow' so much from other artists. As it is, still one of the best bands ever.

The first two albums were pretty blatant, but Page stabbed Jeff Beck in the back and they fell out for years. Back in the 50s-60s, it was common practice for pop stars to just record a "familiar" song. I think Chess Records was the first to start suing bands who were doing it. Even though Led Zep did a Willie Dixon song, Chess thought "Whole Lotta Love" was too close to one of Dixon's other songs. Led Zep cut back a lot from III on as far as that goes. If anything, it helped people bring attention to the original songs.

People didn't really discuss the theft until Led Zep was over and done with, and all the CD reissuing started happening. It was usually the children who inherited the rights that took it to court.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whats this "borrowing" i keep hearing about when it comes to Zep?

A lot of their blues songs on earlier albums sound a lot like other, older blues songs. And that's obviously unheard of in the genre! :lol:

Ah...to be fair, it was a little more than 'sound a lot like' in those early Zeppelin albums.

Just type 'led zeppelin plagiarism' on youtube to hear examples of this claim. It's there.

Edited by Rovim

we had a thread about that, and in the end it didn't matter

Doesn't mean it didn't happen or isn't true. The issue here is that Zeppelin borrowed material from artists (in many cases uncredited)

and incorporated that into their catalog. It's just dishonest to call that 100% original.

I'm not trying to take anything away from this great band, but I feel it's important enough to mention. :shrugs:

Objectively speaking, Led Zeppelin pisses all over Guns and I'm sure the guys in Guns old or new would definitely agree with me. Only the Beatles, Stones or maybe 60's Beach Boys could compete in terms of musical genius.

That being said Guns, especially the AFD era is my favourite band of all time along with the Beatles (Led Zep is the next notch down for me so I stil fucking love them.

You said it for me, exactly this :thumbsup:

Of course Led Zeppelin is better, there would not have been Guns N' Roses as we knew it without Led Zeppelin. I think we can pretty much say thats a fact

I can think of many bands I prefer to bands who influenced them. "They came before and influenced them, so they're better" doesn't seem like a good reason. At the end of the day, I think it's just going to be who you prefer to listen to. I prefer to listen to Guns N' Roses. Led Zeppelin, outside of a few songs, has never done much for me. That's all there really is to it.

Led Zeppelin is kinda little bit better than GN'R musicaly IMO.

Old GNR yes.

this is the debate for me. Does stuff like TWAT, Prostitute, ITW, Madagascar, SOD, hell the whole album put them on the same level as Zepp?

Is TWAT as good as Song Remains the Same? Is ITW as good as Kasmir?

Led Zeppelin is kinda little bit better than GN'R musicaly IMO.

Old GNR yes.

this is the debate for me. Does stuff like TWAT, Prostitute, ITW, Madagascar, SOD, hell the whole album put them on the same level as Zepp?

Is TWAT as good as Song Remains the Same? Is ITW as good as Kasmir?

Uhh, no. And I dig the album, for the most part. But hopefully next time, Axl doesn't ruin some great tunes with stupid levels of overproduction and layering that they just don't need. Besides that though, I don't think the songs are quite up to par with Zeppelin.

better than GnR?

Zep's in a whole other stratosphere man.

They might not be some people's fav but,fuck...Zep buries them.

I prefer Guns myself, but yeah, I can kind of pull myself away from that and acknowledge Zep's superiority. GN'R just seems more one dimensional, while Zeppelin has a lot more variety and, in terms of quality they were more consistent.

Frankly, I like Plant's lyrics. You want someone who writes in a more straightforward way? Well, you got plenty of choice so knock yourself out. Some of them are so straightforward that it's embarrassing.

The only real fault with Zeppelin is Robert Plant's lyrics.

Might be a fairer assessment that my little zealous rant but yeah, thats a big part of it.

What the fucks that?!?! Sounds like an intro to Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe...there's a lady whoose gold and she's been told she knows the stores are closed and AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! SHUT UP!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: Say something you dizzy-headed cunt, don't just rhyme random shit at me and hope that some fuckin acid-head interprets the book of revelations out of it...this is why the following had to come and blow all this shite out of the water, listenn:

now thats how you perform a song, fuckin listen to that...put it down, wall away leaving all the audiences fuckin hair blown back and ears ringing...bliss :):):) Sharp...snappy...concise...contentious...like a punch in the mouth.

I'm really speaking from ignorance when talking about punk. I really should listen to a good bit of it so I can see what it's all about, but my God I find so much of what I have heard sounds absolutely dreadful. While I'm not into pop itself as a genre, give me a hard rock band that has some pop leanings, i.e. you know, a band that can actually write a melody or two and incorporate it into the song. And just a little bit of ambitiousness musically. I can hear the punk in AFD (and it's fucking great, don't get me wrong), but thank god that I can also hear lots of instrumental and vocal melodies, otherwise the entire album would be shit (12 songs like You're Crazy). Or, you could say 12 songs from Hollywood Rose.

Edited by KBear

Guest Len B'stard

Led Zep was a good band who were able to keep a 20 minute song on track.

What's funny is that these guys love the people from Led Zeppelin, but disliked the music. Sure it's due to rivalry, but they're talking in hindsight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-oYpCQ37sI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-mIpRfm0EA&NR=1

I don't think its about rivalry, i think they genuinely don't like the music. I can imagine Keith not liking it cuz Keith has never been a big one for heavy shit, he's a swing man and heart and Zep can't swing. Actually thats an unfair assessment i think JPJ and Page could, dunno about Bonzo though. And Pete i can imagine not liking them either, Petes an intellectual, he seems to like stuff that has a certain weight of intellect behind it, either that or just original authentic stuff, neither of which Zep appear to be to me but that being said i don't have a great deal of knowledge about em except having listened to all of their albums at some point or another. In fact i think i own them all somewhere.

I don't think its about rivalry, i think they genuinely don't like the music. I can imagine Keith not liking it cuz Keith has never been a big one for heavy shit, he's a swing man and heart and Zep can't swing. Actually thats an unfair assessment i think JPJ and Page could, dunno about Bonzo though. And Pete i can imagine not liking them either, Petes an intellectual, he seems to like stuff that has a certain weight of intellect behind it, either that or just original authentic stuff, neither of which Zep appear to be to me but that being said i don't have a great deal of knowledge about em except having listened to all of their albums at some point or another. In fact i think i own them all somewhere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBqHDGr2_qs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoF4Dsd1uRU&feature=related

Guest Len B'stard

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBqHDGr2_qs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoF4Dsd1uRU&feature=related

Yes?

that second one counts actually :lol:

Robert Plant's voice annoys me, so I can't really get into Zeppelin that much. Page's guitar on When The Levee Breaks is amazing though. A couple of songs, Stairway To Heaven and Dyer Maker, I like. But beyond that, when they really start to rock like on Whole Lotta Love or Immigrant Song, either Plant ruins it for me or it's just boring to me.

Edited by ShadowOfTheWave

Yes?

that second one counts actually :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4gfh0NdkA4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JybkqBGrVs

Just tryin to prove they had swing when they wanted to. They also had tons of hard rocking songs as well that were as raw as any punk song.

I've been to London, seen seven wonders. I know to trip is just to fall

I used to rock it, sometimes I'd roll it. I always knew what it was for.

There can be no denyin' that the wind 'll shake 'em down

And the flat world's flyin'. There's a new plague on the land

If we could just join hands (X3)

Traversed the planet when heaven sent me. I saw the kings who rule them all

Still by the firelight and purple moonlight. I hear the rested rivers call

And the wind is crying, from a love that won't grow cold

My lover, she is lying, on the dark side of the globe

If we could just join hands (X3)

You got me rockin' when I ought to be a-rollin'

Darlin', tell me, darlin', which way to go

You keep me rockin', baby, then you keep me stolen

Won't you tell me, darlin', which way to go... that's right

Oh how I wonder, oh how I worry and I would dearly like to know

I've all this wonder of earthly plunder will it leave us anything to show

And our time is flyin' see the candle burnin' low

Is the new world rising, from the shambles of the old

If we could just join hands.

Edited by Count Drugcula

I can imagine Keith not liking it cuz Keith has never been a big one for heavy shit, he's a swing man and heart and Zep can't swing

I dunno what that's supposed to mean, if it's about Swing (the music), none of them did any of that. Although Plant did do some big band-ish stuff with the Honeydrippers.

If it's about groove or swagger, then the statement is false. Because Zep did have plenty of that.

Guest Len B'stard
I can imagine Keith not liking it cuz Keith has never been a big one for heavy shit, he's a swing man and heart and Zep can't swing

I dunno what that's supposed to mean, if it's about Swing (the music), none of them did any of that. Although Plant did do some big band-ish stuff with the Honeydrippers.

If it's about groove or swagger, then the statement is false. Because Zep did have plenty of that.

Yeah it's pretty much about groove and its primarily a drummer thing. They were never exactly toe tappy.