Led Zeppelin

Izzy_Stradlin_XX

Guest Len B'stard

Even on stuff like Fool In The Rain, or Hots On For Nowhere?

Can't recall fool in the rain but, respect where it's due, Hots on for Nowhere is one of my favoritestest songs ever...

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Len B'stard

here's the drums from Fool

See now, to my mind thats pretty dense stuff, it doesn't throw the music upwards if that makes any sense?

Guest Len B'stard

dynamics you mean? light and shade?

hey, the man had all the subtlety of a flying brick, but grooves like this got him and the band plenty of notice. Hell, I still stop whatever I'm doing if Fool In The Rain comes on the radio.

Yeah, i think thats what i mean. A jazzy kind of touch to it, to me thats what the best rock n roll has to it, although i like Keith Moon like a hero and he was hardly ever subtle but...his drumming was like...he fit so much into fills and stuff, it had so much colour and kinda...flair to it. Thats how i like my heavier drumming.

sorta like that...with particular attention to those little fills he does during that little break bit before the chorus. Cheeky sound drumming for want of a better expression :lol:

more frantic, and most likely all improvised. Thing is, Townshend was for the most part a very straight writer, everything was in 4/4. Moon and the Ox did just about all they could to keep their own parts interesting. It's a very different approach than trying to find a groove for Fool In The Rain or The Crunge

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxYfQnXPVcc

• 6 months later...

I've been revisiting Led Zeppelin I lately, an album that I have never been a fan of. I still find Plant's whiny voice grating, but I'm getting over that now and focusing on the GUITAR. Seriously now, how amazing is Page on that album! The riffs aren't as spectacular as later ones are, but the solos on You Shook Me, How Many More Times, Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, I Can't Quit You Baby are mesmerizing

I've been revisiting Led Zeppelin I lately, an album that I have never been a fan of. I still find Plant's whiny voice grating, but I'm getting over that now and focusing on the GUITAR. Seriously now, how amazing is Page on that album! The riffs aren't as spectacular as later ones are, but the solos on You Shook Me, How Many More Times, Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, I Can't Quit You Baby are mesmerizing

It is amazing, but if you follow the transition from the end of the Yardbirds to the beginning of Led Zep, you can hear a few songs that Page had already done by the time Plant and Bonzo entered the picture. You can tell it wasn't edited all that much, that they did most of those songs straight through.

First albums are the easiest, because most songs were worked out at the shows. It's the follow up that proves to be a problem, unless the band had that many songs in their repertoire. The Doors Strange Days and Waiting For the Sun were cases where they had enough to spread out over 3 albums, and just added things here and there.

I think "Good Times Bad Times" was one of those last minute songs they did to have a single off of there. They rarely did that one live.

I'm sure there were friends of his that laughed at some of the gigs he took. It all played a part in becoming a better guitar player, and having to work hard because touring wasn't an option for a couple of years.

On the movie It Might Get Loud, he speaks at great length about the things he picked up along the way thru friends, jamming, session work, non-western influences, etc that made him the player he became and fed him the ideas that led to Zeppelin becoming the monster they became.

Speaking about that, Bert Jansch just died, and if you don't know what he meant to Zeppelin and Page in particular, listen to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY-xpa9GWuo

On the movie It Might Get Loud, he speaks at great length about the things he picked up along the way thru friends, jamming, session work, non-western influences, etc that made him the player he became and fed him the ideas that led to Zeppelin becoming the monster they became.

Speaking about that, Bert Jansch just died, and if you don't know what he meant to Zeppelin and Page in particular, listen to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY-xpa9GWuo

He got eclipsed by the Steve Jobs hoopla. Johnny Marr mentioned him though.

• 1 month later...

Just the fact that they produced and wrote the whole thing and able to be a formidable live act is incredible.

This might have been one of the fastest rock bands ever put together. The end of July, the Yardbirds with Relf and McCarty ended. Sept. 7th, Led Zep had done their first show (still under The Yardbirds' name - there was never a "new" Yardbirds, the band had planned on a fall tour, and Page just decided to put a band together. Chris Dreja was almost a part of Led Zep, he had played with them for 5 seconds but decided to move on to photography & Jones stepped in, having known Page over the years. The band photo on the back cover was taken by him.

It also helped that music technology allowed bands to play arenas, which at the time was trying to meet the demand of thousands of kids trying to get into these theaters, ballrooms, skating rinks. Then then it was taken to a stadium level within the decade.

But I think anyone who saw Zep in 1969 and GNR in 1986 could say they knew there was something special about those bands.

I don't mind Rush and Sabbath but for me, after Zeppelin, I'd take Deep Purple over either of those two. Gillan, Lord, Blackmore, Paice and Glover were just a cut above.

If there had been a Zeppelin soundalike contest in the 70s, I'd say Rush would've won hands down. Even on the Beyond The Lighted Stage doc, they talk about when Working Man was released to radio, people would call in asking when the new Zeppelin was coming out :lol:

Edited by moreblack

I don't mind Rush and Sabbath but for me, after Zeppelin, I'd take Deep Purple over either of those two. Gillan, Lord, Blackmore, Paice and Lord were just a cut above.

If there had been a Zeppelin soundalike contest in the 70s, I'd say Rush would've won hands down. Even on the Beyond The Lighted Stage doc, they talk about when Working Man was released to radio, people would call in asking when the new Zeppelin was coming out :lol:

I don't get why they're not in the Rock Hall, when Machine Head is a rock staple. Blackmore was prob. a douche to Wenner back in the 70s that he got his panties in a bunch, yet Ike Turner and Phil Spector are in. Yet Kanye West will prob. get in first time up.

I know Rush isn't in because they are a prog rock band and the judges dislike prog rock. They are not big metal fans either but they let some in. I think they will start letting in the other prog and metal bands in when in 25 years all the industry has to show for is Miley Cyrus and Justin Bieber.