The Rolling Stones vs. Aerosmith

Count Drugcula

58 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest Len B'stard
Haters gonna hate.

roughly translated thats the all purpose stand in answer for 'i can't justify my taste to myself, let alone anyone else'.

Just listened to Jaded, Pink, Girls of Summer, Devil's Got A New Disguise and Deuces Are Wild :wub::wub:

Haters gonna hate.

Rolling_Stone_Rock_News_55600_26590290_26590293_slarge.jpg

The 90's stuff was mostly pop crap....they were rock Gods in the 70's.......IMHO the real Aerosmith died when their addictions took over and they broke up temporarilly in 1979 and it was all down hill when they got back together in 86 and brought in outside cookie cutter pop music writers in the Geffen era...........

From Pump to Just Push Play there are maybe 5-6 songs that I don't love, only like. It fits Steven's voice and general persona perfectly. I think it's a perfect blend of rock'n'roll, blues and pop. And the songs are really, really fun.

The 70s stuff doesn't really speak to me. I mean, I like the first 3 albums, but there aren't really that many songs on them that I'd count among my favorites. After that it goes seriously downhill for me. Remove Nobody's Fault and King and Queens and I can't really be bothered. Even Back in the Saddle, Draw The Line and Last Child, I'll only listen to live versions.

It's like I can actually smell the heroin when I listen to 1976-1982. (Strangely, I'm ok with Done With Mirrors.) I'd try to listen to Draw The Line for example, and most of it is so bad! I mean stuff that makes my ears and head hurt.

And all this about Aerosmith being hard and aggressive and macho it looks like complete bullshit to me. I find it absolutely impossible to take this band seriously. I love them very very much, but I can't take them seriously, I can't think of Aerosmith and badass things at the same time. Really? A band fronted by Steven Tyler? Lol. That's why hearing Dude Looks Like A Lady makes so much more sense.

and I am not a fan of the ballads but that is what fueled their comeback so go figure.......

But not really. If you look at their history of post reunion hits. You start with the rap Walk This Way, then you have Dude and Rag Doll (off PV), Love in an Elevator (by far the best known song off Pump; also definitely not a ballad), Cryin and Livin On The Edge (GAG), Pink (like Janie, lower tempo but not quite what you have in mind when you say ballad), Falling In Love (9L) and Jaded (similar to Pink).

There was I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing too, granted. But the ballads on the albums - Angel, What It Takes, Crazy and Amazing, Deuces Are Wild, Hole In My Soul - where rather minor hits, at least compared to the above.

Besides, the biggest two songs of their 70s discography are Walk This Way, which sounds very much like what they would later do, it could very well have been on Pump, and Dream On, which is a ballad.

Wow, I really got owned with those chart numbers.... In many ways they don't seem right. The don't fit very well with what seem to be the band's most appreciated and iconic songs. Must have been a thing of the moment like it often is, often high charting singles don't have staying power.

As for the more general discussion we're having here, I absolutely agree with you it's matter of taste. I won't pretend I could be able to make an objective and absolute comparison between pieces of music; I'm not Lithium. I'm just trying to make a case of why I prefer one over the other personally, though I guess it's mostly subconscious.

Might be a bit of bias. I started listening to music regularly when I was about 13, I discovered Aerosmith quickly and for a few years the majority of my time listening to music was consumed by post reunion Aerosmith. It was years until I liked an old song other than Dream On, Sweet Emotion and Walk This Way. They were my favorite band for years, and Amazing was my favorite song for even longer. This cannot possibly not leave a mark.

The reason why I'm so vocal about this is because it's not a stance people usually take. Post-'86 Aerosmith music doesn't have a lot of fans, there are many casual listeners that like some songs, but few real fans. So I felt this was something that needed to be said: there are people who have actually heard '70s Aerosmith but still prefer the latter part of their career.

• 2 weeks later...