Rolling Stone: Greatest COVER SONGS

sascha

Knockin' On Heaven's Douuowow has to be one of the most embarrassing songs ever recorded. I love what the new band has done with it live, and I wouldn't mind them recording a mellower version of it... But this IMO it's an awful cover. Surprised they didn't go with Live and Let Die.

"Ain't it fun" instantly came to my mind when I saw the title of this thread, but, being a readers pick list, obviously it had to be KOHD.

Lots of other singers/bands have already recorded this song (even Avril Lavigne recorded it, if my memory serves me right), and I never understood why people love so much KOHD (one of my least favs of Guns BTW).

Recently it's being hard for me to understand "the common sense's choices" on this kind of lists. :xmassrudolph:

"Ain't it fun" instantly came to my mind when I saw the title of this thread, but, being a readers pick list, obviously it had to be KOHD.

Lots of other singers/bands have already recorded this song (even Avril Lavigne recorded it, if my memory serves me right), and I never understood why people love so much KOHD (one of my least favs of Guns BTW).

Recently it's being hard for me to understand "the common sense's choices" on this kind of lists. :xmassrudolph:

QFT man! Ain't It Fun is violently awesome! lol-- I think The Spaghetti Incident got a bad rap. I can imagine the disappointment at the time of the release or shortly there after-- It's a shame that the last album with Duff, Slash and Axl together is a cover album-- But still it's badass.

QFT man! Ain't It Fun is violently awesome! lol-- I think The Spaghetti Incident got a bad rap. I can imagine the disappointment at the time of the release or shortly there after-- It's a shame that the last album with Duff, Slash and Axl together is a cover album-- But still it's badass.

I'm starting to get a little too repetitive, but I can't explain the reason why I love so much this song. :lol:

Actualy, I was listening to it some hours ago.

What about Live and Leit Die???? They took that song to another level.

KOHD to me is geared to be done live rather than listen to in the car or ipod.

TSI was actualy a good album, IMHO!! It was cover songs, I knew this when I purchased it and guess the only reason someone would be disappointed is if they where expecting new material.

Hair of the Dog and Ain't it Fun are my favorites off TSI, and my two favorite GNR covers with Whole Lotta Rosie being my third favorite

I don't know if it is because i am a GNR fan but most all of the covers they did new or old band, GNR seem to take the songs to another level and add there own twist to it, they some how make a great song better.

You take the Tom Petty and Axl Vma doing free fallin' , Man did Axl give that song more power. Listening to just Tom Petty sing it on the radio it just sounded so weak. I know this wasn't cover just an example.

Also on that list why no Metallica???? They done several covers my favorite being Stone Cold Crazy and it is probly there best cover they ever done.

Edited by bigcountry

I think I said this before but I'll say it again: KOHD (the UYI2 version) is pretty bad, but I respect that GNR had the balls to do an awful cover of that song. Most other covers of it are so reverential and boring. How many other bands would turn a Dylan song into a bloated power ballad with a gospel choir and a rambling phone message?

What about Live and Leit Die???? They took that song to another level.

KOHD to me is geared to be done live rather than listen to in the car or ipod.

I don't know, I tend to go the other way on this issue. Live and Let Die is kind of a dull cover - the reason it works live is because it goes so well with pyro and effects. I've always liked the KOHD cover, and especially the rambling phone message.

I disagree, i think KOHD is a good cover, and its not that bad, excellent song to sing along, either live or the studio version IMO.

The Phone Part reminds me of the T-Minus part in Perfect Crime and the intro of Civil War, so i have no problem with it i enjoy it.

We're talking about lists again. Exciting stuff coming soon :confused:

I don't think "Knockin'" is a horrible cover, but I do agree it's a little embarrassing. I wish they would have recorded the mellower version they played at the time, but like much of Illusions, Axl felt the need to add too much pomp and circumstance. Oh, well. Gn'R has a ton of better covers. "Dust in the Wind" and "Live and Let Die" are two of them.