Ever meet a person you look up to but they end up being a total asshole?

WhazUp

I make a point of avoiding meeting people i admire. Saw Lu Edmonds walking out of a pub in Shepherds Bush once with the rest of PiL minus Monsieur Lydon. I shouted 'OI LU! FUCKIN' LEGEND!' (I was drunk, what else do you say? :lol:). He did a little jig in the middle of the street.

Met Frank Bruno, he was cool. Chased down the street after John Barnes, not sure why. Started on the little blonde kid who played Phil Mitchells apprentice in Eastenders once in Sainsburys. Dont really look up to any of those though.

Edited by Len B'stard

This happened to me quite a few years ago with Vince Neil - he just flat out ignored me and the people I was with

Anyone have experiences where the person you respect ends up being a prick?

I didn't look up to them, but some rockers who were total asses were Mustane who was just nasty, and Riggs (With Zombie at the time) is one of those story tellers, like you need to lie to get ass as a rockstar... He told insanely stupid stories all the time. Like "I drank 7 quarts of whiskey before that show" (Actual quote)

Billy From Biohazard on the contrary was one of the coolest people I've ever met. I (shit you not) went kitchenware shopping with him and his fiancée once. Also passed a bottle of whisky back and forth with him on New Years Eve, 3 other bands had people there Type O, Drain STH and Anthrax. All the girls from Drain were cool too. Used to play PlayStation with them! (That's what rock starts do on the tour bus.)

Ritchie Blackmore in a CVS drugstore in the town I lived in in Connecticut...he lived in the next town over.... All I did was say hello and he looked at me like I had the plague and took off the other way down the aisle........but then again I knew he was an asshole before I met him..... :lol:

And you were not even a Deep Purple member asking for a reunion!!

Pavel Srníček, former Newcastle keeper was a bit of a knob although I got the autograph in the end (on a bit of pink paper - which I subsequently lost haha!) and Graham Onions, England/Durham seamer, to be quite frank completely blanked me like I was a turd lying on the Pavilion steps. Good experiences of Hetfield and Newsted from Metallica - decent chaps, especially Hetfield who came across 'salt of the earth'. Paul Collingwood was decent also. Saw a slightly wanky incident involving Ben Stokes and a budding autograph hunter a few years ago (I think I commented on it in the cricket thread) which made me think twice about asking him for an autograph.

Probably would never ask for an autograph again in truth. Find the whole experience subservient and quite ridiculous now. A couple of bad experiences with revered Cricketers will do that to you haha (I even had a decent chance one year ago to get Sangakara's but decided against it). Right now I would have no interest in collecting Elvis's if he was reincarnated. I find the whole process humiliating somehow - hard to explain.

Blame Graham Onions haha.

Edited by DieselDaisy

Ritchie Blackmore in a CVS drugstore in the town I lived in in Connecticut...he lived in the next town over.... All I did was say hello and he looked at me like I had the plague and took off the other way down the aisle........but then again I knew he was an asshole before I met him..... :lol:

Which town was it?

Which town was it?

It was the CVS on Main Street, Bethel, CT......... I was told that he used to hang at the bar at Greenwood's on main street and play acoustic guitar at the bar. I used to stop in for a pint there from time to time but never had the luck to see him playing. I believe he used to live in Redding but not sure.

Everyone I look up to is either decades/hundreds of years dead, or is a fictitious character from a book/show/film.

That being said, when I was in high school I was a Kiss fanboy, and got on line to meet Paul at some art event he was doing in a town near mine. Spent 3 hours on a line for his manager to tell us when we got to the front, "Paul will only be talking with people who purchase art."

Cheapest piece of "art" Paul was selling.... $1500. Thanks, dick.

(this was all art Paul made himself)

• Like 1

Ozzy Osbourne.

Guy's a legend, but also a total cockhead.

Why, what did he say?

You'd have to have been there...to be fair he was probably out of his gourd but I went to this store signing back in the 90's and he did his utmost best to pretend the hundreds of people that showed up to get his autograph didn't exist.

I met Noel Redding once and he was okay he smoke half my marlboros though.

sure because those were just "marlboros" right?
Why whatever do you mean?

I am suggesting the tobacco in your "Marlboros" might have been of the wacky variety?
Not inside the store no. But I did only realize I talked to him 10 years later, so maybe. It was a strange scene. Roni Size was demoing keyboards and there loads of people then me and this guy standing off to the side smoking not giving a shit. Then he left. Then I heard later he died. Thats when i thought he played with Jimi hendrix.

I am suggesting the tobacco in your "Marlboros" might have been of the wacky variety?
Not inside the store no. But I did only realize I talked to him 10 years later, so maybe. It was a strange scene. Roni Size was demoing keyboards and there loads of people then me and this guy standing off to the side smoking not giving a shit. Then he left. Then I heard later he died. Thats when i thought he played with Jimi hendrix.

Roni Size, shit, there's a name i ain't heard in ages!

Roni Size, shit, there's a name i ain't heard in ages!
I think he went into producing but actually i saw he was on festival bill over summer. he was doing that signing demo thing after winning mercury prize he was a megastar.

Which town was it?

It was the CVS on Main Street, Bethel, CT......... I was told that he used to hang at the bar at Greenwood's on main street and play acoustic guitar at the bar. I used to stop in for a pint there from time to time but never had the luck to see him playing. I believe he used to live in Redding but not sure.

Somewhere around Port Jefferson NY, his wife's from the area.