Ever meet a person you look up to but they end up being a total asshole?

WhazUp

All of these " so and so were great or a dick" stories have to be taken with a grain of salt. None of us know these celebrities in real life and they don't owe you anything on their personal time. If it's a paid autograph signing then you are owed common courtesy.

Question was whether the person was a dick when you met them, it's a valid question. Obviously just a single interaction doesn't necessarily mean anything about the person generally, but it's not like it doesn't reflect something at least in the moment.

All of these " so and so were great or a dick" stories have to be taken with a grain of salt. None of us know these celebrities in real life and they don't owe you anything on their personal time. If it's a paid autograph signing then you are owed common courtesy.

Question was whether the person was a dick when you met them, it's a valid question. Obviously just a single interaction doesn't necessarily mean anything about the person generally, but it's not like it doesn't reflect something at least in the moment.

The posts I'm reading are proclaiming people to be dicks over single interactions. Again,we know none of these people and never will so getting upset over a celebrity being a dick is pointless. Yes,fans are a part of the gig when someone becomes famous but bothering someone at a hotel or restaurant etc that you most likely have no business being in is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

They are human beings with all the same faults you and I possess, why in the world you'd want to look up to them is beyond me.

Yeah why look up to anyone for that matter? Fathers, mothers, grandparents? No use in having an inspiration!

You are your own person right? did Axl make you this way?

Edited by grouse

They are human beings with all the same faults you and I possess, why in the world you'd want to look up to them is beyond me.

Yeah why look up to anyone for that matter? Fathers, mothers, grandparents? No use in having an inspiration!

Of course not, but saying people shouldn't have "idols" or look up to anyone is kind of silly.

The posts I'm reading are proclaiming people to be dicks over single interactions. Again,we know none of these people and never will so getting upset over a celebrity being a dick is pointless. Yes,fans are a part of the gig when someone becomes famous but bothering someone at a hotel or restaurant etc that you most likely have no business being in is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

Blackmore is pretty much a confirmed dick in everyday life by many who have had dealings with him. I did not need my one chance meeting with him to figure that out. :lol:

Does it count if it's over social media?

The only two famous people I've met in person are Kat Von D and Vinny Paul :headbang:

Both were fairly quick interactions, the former at a book signing and the latter at a nightclub. Both were nice and courteous and made me feel special :heart:

I don't think I'd really want to meet someone I really admire though. I mean, if they were in the same elevator, restaurant, place ect, I'd just stare for a bit then try to dissapear. My biggest fear is meeting someone I admire and end up saying the dumbest shit or stammering like an idiot, when I know I have something interesting to say!

Only two people I "look up to" that I haven't met and one of them is dead; the other is Trent Reznor.

Ozzy Osbourne.

Guy's a legend, but also a total cockhead.

When did you meet Ozzy and he was a cock?! :lol:

Honestly have only ever read great things about people meeting him, myself included.

I think it was 1996, a record store signing and it was very, very apparent he did not want to be there and totally disinterested in the people there to see him.

(No, I wasn't expecting him to greet me by name or shake my hand or any of that crap)

Ever seen footage of him when he's like a zombie, all hunched over and staring at the floor/into nowhere and incoherent?

He was like that.

Compared to how he was on that promo tour (I've heard from other people he was exactly the same in the other cities here) he's positively brimming with enthusiasm in this clip:

Notice an (at least) drunken Geezer Butler obviously unhappy with Ozzy here.

Plus there's the whole revisionist history/cutting people out of pictures/albums etc and just being full of shit.

No, hence the word 'inspire', the work is all yours but there is something about the person or what they do or what they said or some art they produced or perhaps just their behaviour in some way that was informative to your life experience...thats about it.

Personally i agree with you grouse and i think it's a bunch of bullshit i.e. not applicable or doesn't work for me but to have a kind of militant approach towards it to where you just can't get your head around the idea of how someone might be inspired by someone else just makes you sound like someone whoose little heart was broken at some point through such a relationship :lol:

• Like 1

Of course no celebrity owes it to be nice to you, though out of courtesy, on the presumption that you at least by their albums, they can at least be courteous if you ever do meet. But what a difference it makes when they are really nice. I've heard nothing but good things about Dave Grohl (and he must just see fans all the time) and that really makes me respect him more.

Years ago I read on here that someone had met JBJ, and explained to him that his wife could no longer go to the show because she was heavily pregnant. Jon made a point of meeting her and offered them both stage-side seating. That's a really nice story, even if their music's no longer any good.

Everybody on this planet that I'm nice to owes it to be nice to me cuz if they wannabe fuckin' funny about it I can be too. This is why i ain't into all that, cuz i don't like the idea of getting mugged off by nobody, I'm way too up myself to go up to some bloke or bird asking for his signature on a bit of paper and if they act like a snotty cunt i have no trouble whatsoever in telling them that they're acting like a snotty cunt.

Heroes and inspiration and all that, it exists in my head and i take what i need from em but every time i see em they just look like a fuckin' bloke to me...and often quite diminutive, first time i saw Axl onstage (whoose not a hero of mine by any stretch) i was like 'is that it?'. I suppose i just fancy myself too much. Goes back to something my Mum always told me which is that your respect is in your own hands, if you act like a little boy you're gonna get boy'ed off.

They don't owe it to be nice to you, i beg your pardon? If thats the case then don't fuckin' complain when people take the piss out of you in the street or shout wanker or throw bottles at you when you're onstage, if thats the basis these relationships are to be conducted well then you bear that in mind next time you expect someones respect for free-ness.

• Like 1

When i was 11 i got ian bothams autograph and maybe cyril regis and micky gynn. Botham was just a man, real man vibe. Cyril was stark bollock naked when he signed. I bought madge from Neighbours a drink in this pizzeria once. I probably would have.

Fuckin' hell man, you've been about a bit eh, you've met tons and tons of fuckin' people. Go on, who else, list, this is interesting, we've had Roni Size, Noel Fielding, Rory Delap, Beefy, Cyril Regis, keep going!

This happened to me quite a few years ago with Vince Neil - he just flat out ignored me and the people I was with

Anyone have experiences where the person you respect ends up being a prick?

I didn't look up to them, but some rockers who were total asses were Mustane who was just nasty,

What did Mustaine do to you lol, I know he's got one hell of a fiery temper that seems to come and go like the wind.

When i was 11 i got ian bothams autograph and maybe cyril regis and micky gynn. Botham was just a man, real man vibe. Cyril was stark bollock naked when he signed. I bought madge from Neighbours a drink in this pizzeria once. I probably would have.

Fuckin' hell man, you've been about a bit eh, you've met tons and tons of fuckin' people. Go on, who else, list, this is interesting, we've had Roni Size, Noel Fielding, Rory Delap, Beefy, Cyril Regis, keep going!
I scored 150 penos past Peter Shilton at the carnival. I won a paperweight.

Dean Saunders. He lived oposite my friends house.

Patel and Kapal Diev of Worcester Cricket.

I was a runner on a Bewitched video. I was basically just that bitch's slave. One with the straight hair.

Phil Michelson and Tiger Woods at the Champions.

I went to a Bobby Charlton soccer school and I was expecting him to be there but it was Norman Whiteside.

Archie Gemmil at a training session.

I walked past Brian Cloughs house once on Boxing Day and he said "young man" as he checked his letter box.

Also that lib dem leader who died recently Charles Kennedy. He had a pint with us after his speech.

Tracy Emin at one her drawing shows. She signed a flyer but i lost it.

That guy off Nevermind the Buzzcocks. Sean Hughes something. He had a book signing.

Van Morrison lived across the street and he used to drink in same wine bar as me because it stayed open til 4am.

Saw Neil Webb in Next once trying on a suit. It was after his England career.

Viv Richards. I think I got his autograph with Clive Lloyd's.

Edited by wasted

Tommy Lee of Motley Crue posted this a few years back about fans who think they are owed pictures/autographs:

Dear Fans,
I fucking LOVE my fans! And you know this!!!... If you asked anyone that knows me really well they would tell ya the same thing...Tommy loves his fans. He lives for this shit...he eats,breaths,shits music 24/7. They’ll also probably tell ya that he’s a down to earth grateful life lovin dude and a nice guy too. What I have a problem with is... Taking pictures! I hate it! Irritates the fuck out of me when people say...you owe it to your fans, they put you where you are, etc etc! I certainly dont owe anybody anything! When I bought all my Led Zeppelin records and
concert ticketsicon1.png I didn’t say “one day these fuckers are gonna owe me a picture” It’s the least they can do for me!...wtf people? You dont admire something so that it can give back... You just cherish it! And to those who say..you should be grateful that people wanna take your picture maybe one day they wont want it!.... That day cant come soon enough! BTW..I’m not here to take pictures with you, I’m here to entertain you!
Nobody put me where I am but ME! They may have helped inspire me with their love for what I do...but I put myself right here where I want to be with a lot of hard work, practice, talent, luck, etc. What I do owe myself and others is being THE BEST I can be! And that’s making great music, being a good man, father, lover and human being! We all owe that kinda stuff to ourselves and each other. People do we really need a silly picture?... For what bragging rights? Really?.. Who fucking cares! Someones not gonna believe you if ya dont have the proof pic?...then fuck em! I’d never go up to someone that I admired and bug them for a picture!! Why!.... I might say a quick hello...maybe a handshake?.. I dunno..it depends on the “situation”... Most people never consider the “situation”. Thats really important... Ya wouldn’t wanna handshake standing at the pisser in the mens bathroom next to me would ya?... And Yes thats happened to me too... Or when your eating a nice quite meal with your family some rude jackass comes up and asks for a picture! You cant even imagine what kinda crazy has happened to me. I understand the excitement and all but just take a second and think... Is this cool right now? Its called Consciousness; it’s the quality or state of being aware of an external object or something within oneself. Be Conscious. So like I said.. The fastest way to get me to leave is whip out a camera! Maybe just say hello and I'll probably take ya home with me! Well I’d have to ask my girlfriend first! Hah!

Sincerely yours,
The Picture Taker Hater!
Tommy Lee

When Tommy Lee posted an open letter to fans a couple of weeks ago griping about people always wanting to have their picture taken with him, some took it as petty complaining from a rock staricon1.png who’s lost touch with the people who helped make him famous. But in a recent interview, he revealed that his misgivings run a little deeper.

Talking to Fuse.tv, the Motley Crue drummer recounted the incident that he described as “the most disrespectful bulls— I’ve ever experienced in my life”: A run-in with a mortuary employee who overstepped her bounds. “My mother passed away recently,” he explained, “I’m at the mortuary, I’ve got my mom’s ashes in my right hand, and my girlfriend, I’m holding her hand with my left hand, and we’re walking out. And the f—ing lady, the receptionist, goes, ‘Oh my god, can I take a picture with you?’”

Lee was understandably reluctant, as he explained: “I looked and her and went (deep breath), ‘I’m sorry, but I’d rather not.’” But it didn’t end there — Lee said the receptionist pressed the issue, asking “Are you sure?” “I’m f—ing standing there with my mom’s ashes and it’s not the f—ing happiest day on the planet for me. I couldn’t believe it,” recalled an incredulous Lee.

“I go, ‘Okay, that’s officially the most f—ed up thing that has ever happened to me.’”

After calling the mortuary manager, Lee said he left the building. “I sat in the car, and I’m shaking, and my girlfriend goes, ‘I’m so sorry honey,’ and I was speechless. I didn’t even know what to say. I couldn’t believe a human being just did that.”

Edited by Subtle Signs
  • Like 1