Hard Rock vs. Punk

Count Drugcula

Guest Len B'stard
That first PiL vid just sounds like some guy trying to figure out how to work a synth... dreadful. The other one could best be described as castrated pistols.

:rofl-lol:

You don't...have to like it or anything my point is to cite punk as being non forward moving and static and just a continual rehash of 3 chord rock is just rubbish. Honestly, the second PiL video, public image, you don't think that guitar sound is fucking amazing? i might be wrong but i think he's using a veleno there and to me it sounds the fucking shit. Also its very very heavy on the bass to be considered anything like a Pistols too...and that drum sound, that ain't Paul Cook by anyones reckoning. Check out the third PiL video i posted though, the link, tell me what you think :)

Edited by sugaraylen

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Len B'stard

the third PiL video sounds to me like what Axl should be doing, but is afraid to try.

Am i hallucinating or did you ALMOSTTT compliment something punk? :lol:

Guest Len B'stard

the third PiL video sounds to me like what Axl should be doing, but is afraid to try.

Which song are you referring to?

The Flowers of Romance!

Also, following on from your point about learning to use a synth etc you'd be right, the punks'd be the first to admit that what they were doing was haphazard but it was a result of that haphazardry, of not really knowing the proper way to use whatever given instrument that, oftentimes they stumbled upon innovative between-the-gaps ways of making new and different music.

A lot of these people have little to no formal musical educations and the clever ones didn't adhere to what they've learnt and that to me is where you come up with brilliant innovative ways of making music where its like, OK, i've learned that this this and this are the way to do it...i wondered what it'd sound like if i changed this to that and did that the other way.

Often you come out with a horrible racket but one out of 10 or 20 times you stumble upon an entirely new way of doing things and i think a lot of "musical geniuses" and confined and imprisoned by their "knowledge" of the guitar or whatever given instrument and it takes an earnest amateur bashing out a sound he likes to point the way.

Edited by sugaraylen

I think the problem with Punk was a throwback--a throwback to the 50s rawer version of rock (compared to what bands like Yes, Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin had become by '77). But that's the problem--they were just a throwback. They offered little new. Rush, Yes, Pink Floyd, Zep and the like were taking rock into new directions, grounds never touched, stretching rock beyond conventional borders. They offered new things, new ideas, making rock something beyond just teenage anger and lust. Punk was an old idea recycled for a new decade which longed for yesterday (there was tons of nostalgia for the 50s in the 1970s).

And IMO, the Stones and their heirs, the Glam (Mott the Hoople, T-Rex) were the real ''next step'' from the rock of the 50s...Not Punk.

Wow..this is off the mark in so many ways. :blink:

Just...gah...can't be bothered :monkey:

I think the problem with Punk was a throwback--a throwback to the 50s rawer version of rock (compared to what bands like Yes, Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin had become by '77). But that's the problem--they were just a throwback. They offered little new. Rush, Yes, Pink Floyd, Zep and the like were taking rock into new directions, grounds never touched, stretching rock beyond conventional borders. They offered new things, new ideas, making rock something beyond just teenage anger and lust. Punk was an old idea recycled for a new decade which longed for yesterday (there was tons of nostalgia for the 50s in the 1970s).

And IMO, the Stones and their heirs, the Glam (Mott the Hoople, T-Rex) were the real ''next step'' from the rock of the 50s...Not Punk.

Wow..this is off the mark in so many ways. :blink:

Just...gah...can't be bothered :monkey:

I've just never seen the whole point of Punk. Being edgy, angry and raging at society all the time gets boring to listen to after a while.

Guest Len B'stard
I've just never seen the whole point of Punk. Being edgy, angry and raging at society all the time gets boring to listen to after a while.

At first they weren't innovative and they were a throwback and now you just don't see the point. I think you just like having a side to be on? The very idea that you think its about "being edgy" says SOOOO much about you Miser, it REALLY does. Like everything can be boiled down to a series of poses or something. Its about music sir and it's only about raging against society if there's something to rage at, it ain't like a ticklist like, do you rage at society? check, are you angry? check, do you consider yourself to be edgy? check...CONGRATULATIONS, you are punk! :lol:

Edited by sugaraylen

Axl could cover Don't Ask Me by PiL. Actually Disappointed has been on my list for a while.

I sort of think that Axl's vision of this new GNR is sort inspired by PiL only he didn't lose the name, it has some of Pistols/PiL change.

The Best So Far...by PiL is one of the best cds I ever bought. Nowadays it's sounds like classic rock rather than this wild experiment.

Being edgy, angry and raging at society all the time gets boring to listen to after a while.

booooredom booooredom

boredom

Rock and roll was born out of boredom man...kids in the 50's were bored fuckin stiff with their parents' Doris Day records.

50's rock and roll...if you look into it..was all kinds of raging against society.

When was the last time you heard a church sermon about your generation shaking things up?

Ever seen that famous black and white clip from the 50's..."rock and roll has got to go" and *SMASH* the guy breaks a record.

Yeah youth rebellion isn't new...but never was it deemed more threatening and problematic than in the looming age of rock and roll.

Rock and roll took every known value to man..grabbed it by the ankles and dangled it off the edge of a skyscraper.

I will never ever forget sitting around a stereo and hearing Johnny Rotten SCREAM in my living room "fuck this,fuck that,fuck it all and fuck her...fucking brat".

It might seem tame now man,but then...for a bored guy stuck in the suburbs of nothingness...that was evey bit a battle cry as the same kid who heard Elvis or Jerry Lee Lewis for the first time.

You can take the entire history of rock and boil it down to...essentially what you like and don't like.

But to deny the importance and validity of punk rock is reckless abandon on anyone's part.

You might not like it...but I can tell you it set your 70's heroes on their ears..whether they liked it or not.

It was a force to be reckoned with (or ignored out of self preservation)...but the relevance of the 20 minute solo vs. a two minute song that packed more of a punch was a statement that couldn't be wiped off the slate.And much to the chagrine of many...never was again.

Honest questions - is punk alive today? What does the punk movement think about a band like Green Day?

I am almost embarrassed to admit that some of the only "punk" songs I've ever liked are from GD. They seem to be able to inject a bit of melody and pop that I find sorely lacking in other punk tunes.

I guess I just don't dig the music, though some of what was posted in this thread is alright (the song after the synth test, and zint's last song that he posted). Just not something I'd go out of my way to listen to. I find the history about the punk movement a lot more interesting than the actual music was.

Guest Len B'stard

Punk just wasn't grandiose enough for my taste. Like the thought of sticking safety pins thru my $400 tanned leather jacket is just deplorable. Give me designer drugs and MPC 2000 every time out.

I think thats probably the single best description of the difference the two ways of life man, well done :lol: See my idea of fun would be setting fire to a tanned $400 leather jacket.

Honest questions - is punk alive today? What does the punk movement think about a band like Green Day?

It's all homage now.

Punk is not dead. You just need to know where to look.

In their own way though, Green Day has done more to advance Punk in the last decade than just about anybody.

Well thank-you Green Day.

Sorry to go a little off topic, but Zint, what is your opinion on the Beastie Boys?

Edited by Death Star

What do you mean by "punk"?

Sorry to go a little off topic, but Zint, what is your opinion on the Beastie Boys?

Some ok songs,other than that,didn't pay much attention to them.

I've always thought that punk was not a style but an attitude. so if a band sounds like a punk band now or worse looks like one, then it's not punk. im not a punk so i could be very wrong. it might be about being an individual. maybe ayn rand was a punk.

What do you mean by "punk"?

The music. The punk genre is not dead. There are a lot of good local, regional punk bands I have listened/listen to.

And what are they doing that is punk rock?

Guest Len B'stard

I don't think its recognisable as what it was in 1977 but i do think its around, it's like a knock on effect. If sounds like or is an attempt to sound like what it was in 77 then yeah, its homage but the people that progressed further and further and further from there, yeah, i think they could lay claim to being the "heirs of punk".