Should the next album be more "guitar oriented"?

Count Drugcula

I think a great way to really introduce this band, and get people acquainted with the guitarists would be to have the next album be very guitar heavy--Traditional riffs and licks and solos and whatnot. No effects or keyboards or 3 minute intros, just a rollicking, fun, dirty rock album. It'd be good at showing off the guitarists' capabilities.

Think something along the lines of Led Zeppelin's Presence. Take all the frills, fluff and layers off and let these guitarists do what they're best at.

Edited by Count Drugcula

I think a great way to really introduce this band, and get people acquainted with the guitarists would be to have the next album be very guitar heavy--Traditional riffs and licks and solos and whatnot. No effects or keyboards or 3 minute intros, just a rollicking, fun, dirty rock album. It'd be good at showing off the guitarists' capabilities.

Think something along the lines of Led Zeppelin's Presence. Take all the frills, fluff and layers off and let these guitarists do what they're best at.

taking all the frills, fluff and layers would probably necessitate removing one of the guitarists as well. Most likely Ron.

taking all the frills, fluff and layers would probably necessitate removing one of the guitarists as well. Most likely Ron.

To be honest, if any of the guitarist was to go, I'd much rather it be Ron.

DJ & Richard could bring the ''sleaze'' back to GN'R, and you really don't need two guitarists in the studio given overdubbing. If Axl really wants the three guitar, fuller sound, just make Ron a touring member. I think two lead guitarists (along with two keyboardists) is a bit much in Guns, I've never been a fan of the three guitar set up.

Just have a lead guitar, a rhythm guitar, a bassist, drums and Dizzy on keyboards. The world needs some great, but basic rock and roll. Too much effects and fake sounding crap as it is.

What's boring about good, fun, rock?

Is it any worse than 3 minute long intros to songs about heartbreak, bitterness and being screwed over?

It has it's place but maybe Axl got fed up of doing that years ago and wanted Guns to develop into something with a broader spectrum.

There's plenty of fun rock bands out there if you just want that.

Is it any worse than 3 minute long intros to songs about heartbreak, bitterness and being screwed over?

It has it's place but maybe Axl got fed up of doing that years ago and wanted Guns to develop into something with a broader spectrum.

There's plenty of fun rock bands out there if you just want that.

You can be fun while still being deep. That's what's wrong with CD. It's deep...but not fun.

And it's repetitive. Every other song is about Axl's misfortune and overcoming struggles.

There's nothing...idk...imaginative.

Sounds a bit boring if im honest.

Yes.

I much prefer Axl's craziness to outdated dad rock.

The term "dad rock" is fucking retarded.

And Axl's songs are pretty outdated given they were written and in some cases recorded 8-10 years before the album came out. It's not exactly like CD was some cutting edge, musical revolution.

Yes.

And Axl's songs are pretty outdated given they were written and in some cases recorded 8-10 years before the album came out. It's not exactly like CD was some cutting edge, musical revolution.

You do a complete 180 every new fuckin' user name you retard.

Call it what you like i'm just trying to explain what a like and don't. I've always liked GnR cause they're something more than that predictable -dime a dozen rock band.

Yes.

You do a complete 180 every new fuckin' user name you retard.

Call it what you like i'm just trying to explain what a like and don't. I've always liked GnR cause they're something more than that predictable -dime a dozen rock band.

Actually for the most of the last 5 years I've been visiting this forum I was a devoted Axl-lite...My opinions and musical tastes have changed in the last few months on a lot.

Was Guns a "predictable dime a dozen rock band" from '87-'94 when they were producing fun rock music?

Presence is a fucking great album

BUT keep in mind people the record isnt as stripped as youd think. Achilles Last Stand is a great example of lots of guitar and overdubs. Page put on countless dubs to make the "guitar army" sound. thats why it was so hard to reproduce live with one guitarist (hell yes to Page for pulling it off when not wasted on stage!). when i listen to Achilles I actually think of Chidem sometimes in terms of all the overdubs.

Still, I see the comparison with Presence. It was a straight up rock n roll record. no acoustic guitars which is insane to think about for Zep.

I love Chidem, but a "Presence" like album could be just what the band needs. Although, I would like to see Ron on it just cause hes so fuckin great rock1

They could make it work with him, DJ, and Richard.

Effects, if used correctly, don't spoil a great riff you know...

Better and Coma have some of the best riffs ever, but GnR always lacked some cool riffs: their old stuff like Civil War has a cool verse and awesome solos, but the heavy riffs are so... lame, the first one is just two chords and some random notes and harmonics and the second is a simple 3 chord progression. Some CD songs also shows this "problem" as well. Led has an awesome riff library (Heartbreaker), but I would rather take bands like Metallica, SG and AiC as models, their riffs are more complex and stronger (Master of Puppets, Last Of My Kind, Broken Beat n' Scarred, Outshined, Died, Mailman...)