Should the next album be more "guitar oriented"?

Count Drugcula

I wish the more hard rocking songs on Chinese Democracy were arranged differently.

Scraped should have had the guitars louder and heavier. The last 20 seconds are when the guitars really shine, but by the time you get into it the song is over

CD, Better and Shackler's are very guitar oriented

I wish Axl would still keep on trying to create something different. I don't know any other album that sounds like CD and this is a huge plus.

I agree with you, they should keep inovating for the next album. IMO CD has an interesting and unique atmosphere and I'm really loving this new, more experimental side of GnR.

What's boring about good, fun, rock?

Is it any worse than 3 minute long intros to songs about heartbreak, bitterness and being screwed over?

It has it's place but maybe Axl got fed up of doing that years ago and wanted Guns to develop into something with a broader spectrum.

There's plenty of fun rock bands out there if you just want that.

You can be fun while still being deep. That's what's wrong with CD. It's deep...but not fun.

And it's repetitive. Every other song is about Axl's misfortune and overcoming struggles.

There's nothing...idk...imaginative.

For better or worse, musicians write the best stuff when they are true to themselves. After the old band got rich and famous, they couldn't sing about being street urchins, it would not have been convincing. This is partly why Axl won't go the rock way I think, his mentality and past experience prevents him from doing fun, party rock n roll. From what I gather, it certainly doesn't seem that Axl is the most happy of people. Singing about bittiness, misfortune, struggles etc are probably the purest thing he has to sing and write about. Even in Shackler's Revenge there is a line "Don't ever tell me how much you cared for me", most likely pointing to an old friend or lover. Just my opinion anyway.

Is it any worse than 3 minute long intros to songs about heartbreak, bitterness and being screwed over?

It has it's place but maybe Axl got fed up of doing that years ago and wanted Guns to develop into something with a broader spectrum.

You can be fun while still being deep. That's what's wrong with CD. It's deep...but not fun.

And it's repetitive. Every other song is about Axl's misfortune and overcoming struggles.

For better or worse, musicians write the best stuff when they are true to themselves. After the old band got rich and famous, they couldn't sing about being street urchins, it would not have been convincing. This is partly why Axl won't go the rock way I think, his mentality and past experience prevents him from doing fun, party rock n roll. From what I gather, it certainly doesn't seem that Axl is the most happy of people. Singing about bittiness, misfortune, struggles etc are probably the purest thing he has to sing and write about. Even in Shackler's Revenge there is a line "Don't ever tell me how much you cared for me", most likely pointing to an old friend or lover. Just my opinion anyway.

Agreed,the best lyrics/music comes from life experiences,insightful post Y.G.

Agreed,the best lyrics/music comes from life experiences,insightful post Y.G.

;) Thanks man.

It's like all those people complaining about Dr Dre's new songs(Prescription and I need a doctor) not being about the "hood" and not dealing with those struggles... Ummm he is 45, a multimillionaire, has stacks of exotic European sports cars, is very famous etc. Rapping about the "hood" would sound very fake, very forced and just to appease the masses, just ask AC/DC...

I'll happily digest whatever musical offerings are given.

I look at musicians as artists.

I don't tell a painter how to paint. I don't tell a composer to throw in a few notes. I don't tell authors how they should write.

I accept and appreciate the music I am given. Of course each of us will have our own reaction and perceptions of the music, and we are free to form whatever opinions we may.

That being said, my only requests would have more to do with the recording and mixing. To me, Chinese Democracy sounds a bit too polished; a bit too sharp timbre-wise; a bit too digital-ey sounding in some places. This is of course just my own opinion, and probably was intentional on their part. It certainly doesn't really detract from the listening experience. But, my 2 cents would be: break out the analog tape for some warmth. just imo

I'll happily digest whatever musical offerings are given.

I look at musicians as artists.

I don't tell a painter how to paint. I don't tell a composer to throw in a few notes. I don't tell authors how they should write.

I accept and appreciate the music I am given. Of course each of us will have our own reaction and perceptions of the music, and we are free to form whatever opinions we may.

That being said, my only requests would have more to do with the recording and mixing. To me, Chinese Democracy sounds a bit too polished; a bit too sharp timbre-wise; a bit too digital-ey sounding in some places. This is of course just my own opinion, and probably was intentional on their part. It certainly doesn't really detract from the listening experience. But, my 2 cents would be: break out the analog tape for some warmth. just imo

Analog vs. Digital,would love to have both versions,there are assets and drawbacks to both methods,but as far as lyrical content or melody,that is the beautiful thing about music and art,you can apply your own meaning/translation to it and wrap it around your own life,where it does the most good,songs can have a myriad of meanings,something different for each person,one verse may have more meaning than another to everyone,its all good.