MYGNRFORUM *not* closing

eRomano

Yep, I'm starting to think it was a member of the GNR camp. Bumble or DJ, possibly Beta.

They know damn well that the online community means to GNR, which is why 50% of them are members here.

Wouldn't surprise me if Bumble or DJ did it... and if they did, they're legends even more so. But whoever has done this deserves their place in folklore!

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, this whole thing was handled quite terribly. Such mishandling of the situation has had multiple unnecessary effects. Having said that, I am absolutely stoked that this forum will keep on running. This is by far my favorite website to visit. I cordially thank the anonymous donor and greatly appreciate his contribution. However, I am more than sure that UK Subs would have run this forum extremely well had this donor not come forward. Overall, I am more than glad to still be able to visit my viral home!

Absolutely agreed.

To be honest, and I know I'm not the only one, but the situation now has made me sick.

No offense to Eric, but everyone was excited for Subsy to take over and was ready for the changes and surprises he had coming. That's a main reason why a lot more people, myself included, were readying their fingers on the Donate Button. Now, myself included again, those same people have no interest in donating. Not just because the cost is all covered, but because there really is no reason. No extra benefits besides a Green name and no posting limit.

At this point, it feels like "Well, it's staying. Have fun".

Pretty big downer, imo.

To be honest, and I know I'm not the only one, but the situation now has made me sick.

No offense to Eric, but everyone was excited for Subsy to take over and was ready for the changes and surprises he had coming. That's a main reason why a lot more people, myself included, were readying their fingers on the Donate Button. Now, myself included again, those same people have no interest in donating. Not just because the cost is all covered, but because there really is no reason. No extra benefits besides a Green name and no posting limit.

Pretty big downer, imo.

Stop being a pussy

Pretty big downer, imo.

Piss off.

Pretty big downer, imo.

While i'm extremely pleased that the forum is staying intact, i'm going to have to agree with you.

Pretty big downer, imo.

Piss off.

Pretty big downer, imo.

Stop being a pussy

K. Enjoy no changes.

It's clear the site has gown downhill since the 14th and it's going to take a bit for it to go back. It's like rebuilding the Great Wall of China.

persons

To be honest, I'm a little confused by this...

Eric's original 'the forum is closing' post was pretty categoric. And he listed a whole plethora of reasons (outwith monthly running costs) for wanting to call it a day, which i fully respected. Reasons included: running the forum had 'grown to be whole lot less fun', leaks, lack of communication from management, monthly costs, absence of promotion of Chinese Democracy, no US tour, waiting for new material, the recession, GNR could also be so much more but it’s currently not and hasn't been for some time now, and lastly, lawyers letters from the band etc etc.

Now we have a mystery donor that is funding the forum, and he's happy to continue on as normal. I'd have expected from his original post (and this is just a casual observation with all due respect) that even with a provider of funds, he'd want to sell the forum and move on. If it were purely about finances, why not just say so from the start?

LA

To be honest, I'm a little confused by this...

Eric's original 'the forum is closing' post was pretty categoric. And he listed a whole plethora of reasons (outwith monthly running costs) for wanting to call it a day, which i fully respected. Reasons included: running the forum had 'grown to be whole lot less fun', leaks, lack of communication from management, monthly costs, absence of promotion of Chinese Democracy, no US tour, waiting for new material, the recession, GNR could also be so much more but it’s currently not and hasn't been for some time now, and lastly, lawyers letters from the band etc etc.

Now we have a mystery donor that is funding the forum, and he's happy to continue on as normal. I'd have expected from his original post (and this is just a casual observation with all due respect) that even with a provider of funds, he'd want to sell the forum and move on. If it were purely about finances, why not just say so from the start?

LA

Good question. It really does make it seem like it was just about the financial aspect of it all.

Any response from Eric and/or the mods?

Ali

Pretty big downer, imo.

I agree. It sort of mirrored the release of CD: we were expecting all this cool new promotional shit, but no, Axl goes AWOL, and it's back to your originally scheduled programming. And now we pass it to Ali for a GNR State sponsored message.

Edited by ITW 2012

Pretty big downer, imo.

I agree. It sort of mirrored the release of CD: we were expecting all this cool new promotional shit, but no, Axl goes AWOL, and it's back to your originally scheduled programming. And now we pass it to Ali for a GNR State sponsored message.

Funny. Interesting how you ignored the fact that I seconded another person's post in actuality.

Ali

I am happy the site is still going, but this whole saga has been a litttle perplexing and has disappointed many potential suitors, including Subsy.

I find it peculiar that Invision did not close down the website when they were due to. They are renowned for their ruthlessness.

I hope this was not an exercise to raise funds.

I find it peculiar that Invision did not close down the website when they were due to.

I wouldn't be so sure about the provider were DUE TO close this site after all. Montrealer said that it was going down anytime in the weekend and it would be "a miracle" that the site would be still up on monday.

I've just read through the series of events and i'm kinda shocked. Not sure who has the amount of money to pay for all the expenses "just like that". I was hoping for Subs to take over, because a lot of changes were mentioned. Newer mods, Supporter advantages(which, a lot of people were going to donate if Subs were to take over, including myself.), a new section(I think), the return of banned members and some more unnamed "surprise" changes that were to be made.

All this being said, I think all of the changes should happen regardless. Take Subs advice and make this place more enjoyable. This community needs it. You all know who the true and loyal people of this community are now after the series of bannings that have recently occurred. Make some kind of change happen. It will be for the best.

Edited by Forsaken

I've just read through the series of events and i'm kinda shocked. Not sure who has the amount of money to pay for all the expenses "just like that". I was hoping for Subs to take over, because a lot of changes were mentioned. Newer mods, Supporter advantages(which, a lot of people were going to donate if Subs were to take over, including myself.), a new section(I think), the return of banned members and some more unnamed "surprise" changes that were to be made.

All this being said, I think all of the changes should happen regardless. Take Subs advice and make this place more enjoyable. This community needs it. You all know who the true and loyal people of this community are now after the series of bannings that have recently occurred. Make some kind of change happen. It will be for the best.

I'm glad the board is staying. I would like to be a more active member here but I'm not going to stick around for the constant negative spin being put on the band. I've said my fair share of complaints about the band, I'm not innocent there but it's when something happens. I can move on once it's said. There seems to be a hard core group here that can't let anything go and daily, several times daily has to bring up anything and everything that has ever went wrong and in every thread.

I'd like to suggest the community here develop a general vision of how they would like this place to be. Write the rules or rather 'more just the guidelines' together.

Great news about the site coming back! I very much appreciate all the work the mods have been doing the past few days and the support from each member here!

I can't help to think that this mystery donor is Axl, might be something he'd think about doing? Who knows... but regardless, I'm glad the forum is back so we can move on and discuss other things...