MYGNRFORUM *not* closing

eRomano

I am happy the site is still going, but this whole saga has been a litttle perplexing and has disappointed many potential suitors, including Subsy.

I find it peculiar that Invision did not close down the website when they were due to. They are renowned for their ruthlessness.

I hope this was not an exercise to raise funds.

The manner in which this has all gone down is concerning - stating a moral stand regarding the bands conduct along side financial issues, then doing a 180 when some cash is forthcoming makes you wonder how important the moral issues were all along.

When all is said and done, I'm glad that a way for the site to continue was found, though it may have been preferable for some new blood to offer a new approach.

Edited by Leddy

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great that the forum's staying, disappointing and suspicious that Eric's done a complete 180 as soon as cash was offered, and Subsy's intended changes will likely be swept under the carpet. shrugs.gif

Yup, we all feel this way =/

Guest gunns5

I chatted with Subs for a bit, and he would of made an excellent admin/co-admin but I guess whatever we have now will do as long as the place continues.

Lets just hope we see a few changes implemented though.

Great that the forum's staying, disappointing and suspicious that Eric's done a complete 180 as soon as cash was offered, and Subsy's intended changes will likely be swept under the carpet. shrugs.gif

At a time like this in this world, money means alot. We dont know what bills Eric has to make to make a decent living. I think we all at one point try to see how to save money. I know I have that problem often in life. I am grateful for Eric paying out of his own pocket for years.

"Forum Will Not Be Closing" ... I'm reading this several times to see that I'm not dreaming ...

Anonymous, thanks for your initiative, you are the angel of this Forum! ... B)

UK Subs, thank you also for your interest, I believe you would have been good for this house too.

Admin, mods and others people that have done better, thank you too...

Like everyone, I have many questions, but this is how those sentences .. "don´t try to understand the inexplicable" or "there are no how explain the reasons which reason unknows" ... or something ... no matter, what matters is that everything ended well.

Today I will sleep in peace!! .. :lol:

I think some of you guys are being kind of ridiculous to say the least. Even if Eric's main motivation was financial, who cares? At the end of the day, how many of you are required to pick up the several hundred dollar per month tab that is required to keep this place going?

It's been blatantly obvious that this forum isn't a big part of his life in terms of being a contributing member. How often do you see him post about anything GNR or Anything Goes related? I'd suspect that his biggest motivation to keep this forum would be mostly due to the status that it gives him (owner of the biggest GNR site) and the perks that it may bring (backstage passes, etc).

Plus, none of us know for sure what transpired behind the scene. Maybe someone from the band or management did contact him and say "hey, sorry if we gave you the impression that we wanted you to close" and in turn made the donation. I suppose that alone may have satisified most of the concerns that he originally expressed.

In the end, it's only a forum. I wouldn't waste too much time speculating about his true intentions since the final outcome allows you to continue posting here when you wish and at no cost to you.

Edited by Gun Shy Assassin

I think some of you guys are being kind of ridiculous to say the least. Even if Eric's main motivation was financial, who cares? At the end of the day, how many of you are required to pick up the several hundred dollar per month tab that is required to keep this place going?

It's been blatantly obvious that this forum isn't a big part of his life in terms of being a contributing member. How often do you see him post about anything GNR or Anything Goes related? I'd suspect that his biggest motivation to keep this forum would be mostly due to the status that it gives him (owner of the biggest GNR site) and the perks that it may bring (backstage passes, etc).

Plus, none of us know for sure what transpired behind the scene. Maybe someone from the band or management did contact him and say "hey, sorry if we gave you the impression that we wanted you to close" and in turn made the donation. I suppose that alone may have satisified most of the concerns that he originally expressed.

In the end, it's only a forum. I wouldn't waste too much time speculating about his true intentions since the final outcome allows you to continue posting here when you wish and at no cost to you.

Best BBA post I've ever read!Agree 100%

Seems the scum over at CD.com are having a go at this situation:

CHINESEDEMOCRACY.COM IS BEING SHUT DOWN

Dear members,

It has been a fun 10 years. but my anus hurts as I live in Athens Greece since 2006, I am dead broke and have dept. but since Axl sucks I will not change my fucking mind about closing this site. The $$ is too fucking unbearable and since I have no creative skill and practice the ethics of a leech I am shuting down.

Sure we don't have the google ad placement as others do. but somehow within an IT infrastructure that is based on the needs of a server I was able to go from a dedicated server $160 a month to a semi-dedicated managed server for $80 to host not only this forum but the GNR tracker that has about 5000 active members. This server also hosts many other projects and websites for people. For a long while I even had gnrontour.com on it and that site had lots of traffic. Sure I paid out of my pocket a lot and I do the coding myself now for the sites (he don't) and with the help from the Tracker Community as we give them a great service.... donations do help and from few friends at cd dot com related.

but I am a filthy stinkin' un-loyal piece of French Canadian sloth poop bowl that was always in it for the gold.

Therefore... I will be closing C D and if this really doesn't scare you.. then .. then I'm closing the tracker too. I mean it.

I really mean it.... don't offer me 10k for the forum.... and don't offer me to pay the hosting. at least not for less than $200 a month. maybe some amazon gifts?

Thank you and Blame Axl,

BP

http://www.chinesedemocracy.com/forum/index.php/topic,47686.105.html

Guest gunns5

Seems the scum over at CD.com are having a go at this situation:

CHINESEDEMOCRACY.COM IS BEING SHUT DOWN

Dear members,

It has been a fun 10 years. but my anus hurts as I live in Athens Greece since 2006, I am dead broke and have dept. but since Axl sucks I will not change my fucking mind about closing this site. The $$ is too fucking unbearable and since I have no creative skill and practice the ethics of a leech I am shuting down.

Sure we don't have the google ad placement as others do. but somehow within an IT infrastructure that is based on the needs of a server I was able to go from a dedicated server $160 a month to a semi-dedicated managed server for $80 to host not only this forum but the GNR tracker that has about 5000 active members. This server also hosts many other projects and websites for people. For a long while I even had gnrontour.com on it and that site had lots of traffic. Sure I paid out of my pocket a lot and I do the coding myself now for the sites (he don't) and with the help from the Tracker Community as we give them a great service.... donations do help and from few friends at cd dot com related.

but I am a filthy stinkin' un-loyal piece of French Canadian sloth poop bowl that was always in it for the gold.

Therefore... I will be closing C D and if this really doesn't scare you.. then .. then I'm closing the tracker too. I mean it.

I really mean it.... don't offer me 10k for the forum.... and don't offer me to pay the hosting. at least not for less than $200 a month. maybe some amazon gifts?

Thank you and Blame Axl,

BP

http://www.chinesedemocracy.com/forum/index.php/topic,47686.105.html

he also posted this

This dude is full of poop and always has been with dramatic twisted details of truth. he is putting out of context the legal letters (which I seen myself) to be dramatic once again. He has always built apon the site to make money. Doesn't give a poo about people, real communiity, friendships. In short has always been selfish doochebag who from mid 90's to now flamed fake news for hits to his ad's. Trust me he made enuff and is just money hungry. GNR also treated him well and selfish prick doesn't realize it. imo too well as he managed the site like 2nd grade for slow folk or spazzed out ADD kids high on sugar.... chocolate on the walls.

I am never giving up. respect. and this site over the years flip-flopped with his as being the most visited but I had no help from google... it was word of mouth. The numbers of people have decreased since the album release... true. Things change.. ;)

I'm the last person to say anything bad about anybody... but historicly.... from stolen content, and real bonehead non-sense from this guy .... ok bye.

I work in IT ... I fuel banks, corporations, and business on every level imaginable when it comes to computer systems and IT related enterprises big and small. He doesn't know what he is talking about... I have had virtual servers, dedicated servers for this site.... mixed clusters when needed. POS Full of Shit. So he throws the blame on GNR... pussy.

lets move on. & I welcome everybody here. BTW , Our ban list from the last 10 years is about non existant and we frown apon it unless you are a total cocksalad kind of person. We have a great staff :afro:. See ya at the shows.

Sean

but that guy 'sean' is just an asshole, he trys to take the all mighty high road, but he himself does ad placement, and also does a 'supporters ' section, as well as having moderators who openly seek out to trade and leak gnr material,

so as the assholes at cd.com are now reading this and sean in particular,

go fuck yourself?

someones just butt hurt that this site is just better in terms of members/activity and loyalty

k thanks bye

Edited by gunns5

Ok, this is strange. I've never considered myself one of Eric's biggest fans (part of why I don't post here often) and I guessed from the beggining that money was at least the main motivation in closing the forum, and yet I think that's perfectly reasonable while a lot of people seem to be hugely offended by it. Why?

Honestly to my mind it doesn't matter if the site is costing Eric $1000 a month or $1, if it's money he has to pay out of his own pocket then it's entirely up to him whether he wants to pay it or not. If it got to the point where he didn't want to do that, for whatever reason, then he's perfectly entitled to say he's not going to do it. But then someone else came along and offered to pay the money so that became a non-issue and now there is no reason to close.

The only way I think it could have been handled better is that Eric could have started out saying "I can't afford/don't want to keep running this forum. If you think you could and would take it over PM/email me and we'll talk" rather than jumping straight to planning to close the forum. But then it's possible he didn't believe anyone else would want to take it on.

But whatever the case, at the end of the day you get to keep your forum, why not be happy about it?

Edited by Just_me

Ok, this is strange. I've never considered myself one of Eric's biggest fans (part of why I don't post here often) and I guessed from the beggining that money was at least the main motivation in closing the forum, and yet I think that's perfectly reasonable while a lot of people seem to be hugely offended by it. Why?

Honestly to my mind it doesn't matter if the site is costing Eric $1000 a month or $1, if it's money he has to pay out of his own pocket then it's entirely up to him whether he wants to pay it or not. If it got to the point where he didn't want to do that, for whatever reason, then he's perfectly entitled to say he's not going to do it. But then someone else came along and offered to pay the money so that became a non-issue and now there is no reason to close.

The only way I think it could have been handled better is that Eric could have started out saying "I can't afford/don't want to keep running this forum. If you think you could and would take it over PM/email me and we'll talk" rather than jumping straight to planning to close the forum. But then it's possible he didn't believe anyone else would want to take it on.

But whatever the case, at the end of the day you get to keep your forum, why not be happy about it?

Totally agree with everything you just posted. If this place was going to shut down because of money that is up to Eric. The man has a life of his own and this forum doesnt pay his bills.

“... I wouldn't waste too much time speculating about his true intentions since the final outcome allows you to continue posting here when you wish and at no cost to you.” ... G.S.Assassin.

We don´t have to know everything, and sometimes it's hard to accept.

My greatest satisfaction is the forum to continue, but if it were necessary to keep the donation, I would keep, and my satisfaction would be the same.