MYGNRFORUM *not* closing

eRomano

I think some of you guys are being kind of ridiculous to say the least. Even if Eric's main motivation was financial, who cares? At the end of the day, how many of you are required to pick up the several hundred dollar per month tab that is required to keep this place going?

It's been blatantly obvious that this forum isn't a big part of his life in terms of being a contributing member. How often do you see him post about anything GNR or Anything Goes related? I'd suspect that his biggest motivation to keep this forum would be mostly due to the status that it gives him (owner of the biggest GNR site) and the perks that it may bring (backstage passes, etc).

Plus, none of us know for sure what transpired behind the scene. Maybe someone from the band or management did contact him and say "hey, sorry if we gave you the impression that we wanted you to close" and in turn made the donation. I suppose that alone may have satisified most of the concerns that he originally expressed.

In the end, it's only a forum. I wouldn't waste too much time speculating about his true intentions since the final outcome allows you to continue posting here when you wish and at no cost to you.

It is only a forum, but Eric's motivation to run this forum on his own has to be questioned given his original post where he pointed out that his reasons for closing this forum were not just financial.

It is right and correct that Eric should remain an admin here, as this is his creation. However, it could be a good idea to promote a few of his mods to admin status, and to listen to a few new ideas from his staff to take this forum forward.

As someone else is pumping money into this site now, Eric has to look at ways of keeping this forum fresh and interesting.

• Replies 779
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is only a forum, but Eric's motivation to run this forum on his own has to be questioned given his original post where he pointed out that his reasons for closing this forum were not just financial.

I'm guessing he can deal with the stress or the money, but not both at the same time. Now that the money is not an issue anymore the problem is manageable. That makes sense. I think it's time to let this go.

I think some of you guys are being kind of ridiculous to say the least. Even if Eric's main motivation was financial, who cares? At the end of the day, how many of you are required to pick up the several hundred dollar per month tab that is required to keep this place going?

It's been blatantly obvious that this forum isn't a big part of his life in terms of being a contributing member. How often do you see him post about anything GNR or Anything Goes related? I'd suspect that his biggest motivation to keep this forum would be mostly due to the status that it gives him (owner of the biggest GNR site) and the perks that it may bring (backstage passes, etc).

Plus, none of us know for sure what transpired behind the scene. Maybe someone from the band or management did contact him and say "hey, sorry if we gave you the impression that we wanted you to close" and in turn made the donation. I suppose that alone may have satisified most of the concerns that he originally expressed.

In the end, it's only a forum. I wouldn't waste too much time speculating about his true intentions since the final outcome allows you to continue posting here when you wish and at no cost to you.

It is right and correct that Eric should remain an admin here, as this is his creation. However, it could be a good idea to promote a few of his mods to admin status, and to listen to a few new ideas from his staff to take this forum forward.

Exactly. Subs had some major ideas that would've helped this community out in a big way, but that can no longer be followed through now than an "anonymous donor" helped out.

I'm guessing he can deal with the stress or the money, but not both at the same time. Now that the money is not an issue anymore the problem is manageable. That makes sense. I think it's time to let this go.

Maybe, but if your heart is not in a project it will eventually fail. I have been there personally, and I am only offering advice on the back of this.

Or wait, I think I understand it. This has more to do with being part of a social community than participating on a GN'R forum.

Yes, it is a social community. That's what forums are. Most of the main posters on this forum post in Anything Goes, this is partly because of lack of news.. While a handful may still post in this section every now and then.

Edited by Forsaken

Or wait, I think I understand it. This has more to do with being part of a social community than participating on a GN'R forum.

Yes, it is a social community. That's what forums are. Most of the main posters on this forum post in Anything Goes. While a handful may still post in this section every now and then, partly because of lack of news.

Yeah, I see it now. Then the challenge is to move en masse to a new forum, and that is tricky.

Let's be honest here. The Anything Goes community is what is keeping this place alive. I know for a fact over half of this forum never even visits this section anymore, because, it's the same old shit, different day.

Now, back around 06, this section was popping because of the leaks and anticipation for CD to be released. Now that it's out, it's just meh. While I enjoy the new music, there's no way CD could have lived up to expectations. No way, no how. That's why we want more band to community communication. We don't get that(with the exception of Bumblefoot, he's a helluva guy). Hell, the official Guns N' Roses website is never even updated.

Edited by Forsaken

I think I may have gone too the anything goes section, maybe 5 times in all the years I have been here. Yes a lot of posters use it. but a lot of people that come here for info and never log in and only go too the main new section.

Let's be honest here. The Anything Goes community is what is keeping this place alive. I know for a fact over half of this forum never even visits this section anymore, because, it's the same old shit, different day.

Now, back around 06, this section was popping because of the leaks and anticipation for CD to be released. Now that it's out, it's just meh. While I enjoy the new music, there's no way CD could have lived up to expectations. No way, no how. That's why we want more band to community communication. We don't get that(with the exception of Bumblefoot, he's a helluva guy). Hell, the official Guns N' Roses website is never even updated.

There could be a monthly contribution from BBF. I am sure he would be happy to arrange a few hours a month to answer questions here. Why are the news reporters here not going out there and getting interviews with other band members. It is not that diffucult. What about mygnr interviews with people that worked on CD, what were their experiences? That is not so difficult to arrange. Where is the energy?

The main mygnr website should be passed aside to a forum member who would be happy to update it. The forum page should be updated too, I am sure there is a member here who would do it for free.

It is about having the gusto to go out there and do something. There is money now to support the forum, now let's see some fizz. If Eric does not have the capacity for this, then delegate. Nothing comes without effort.

Edited by Mysteron

Exactly Mysteron, that's why I wanted Subs to take an Admin spot, because he had a lot of changes in order to shake things up a bit around here. Adding new mods for example, to keep this place contained from trolls. We need at LEAST one more mod that's in the US, for balanced timezones. I'm not going to throw my name out there, but there are many people around here that are loyal to the community that post countless times a day, that have been here for years. The News Reporters too, nothing is ever updated. I believe this was to be looked at as well.

I still stand behind Subsys ideas.

It is about having the gusto to go out there and do something. There is money now to support the forum, now let's see some fizz. If Eric does not have the capacity for this, then delegate. Nothing comes without effort.

I agree completely, and that is why I have spent some time doing the Q&A's for my forum. It's not that hard.

what a stale fart this place is now. DONT TALK BAD ABOUT AXL! DONT TALK BAD ABOUT THE GOOFY OWNER AND MODS!!

fuck this place and fuck ERIC

Thank you for exposing your true colors to everyone,it didn't come as a surprise.

This could be fair feedback

Out of interest, who are you 'gnr bar', and how are you related to the original gnrbar?

There could be a monthly contribution from BBF. I am sure he would be happy to arrange a few hours a month to answer questions here. Why are the news reporters here not going out there and getting interviews with other band members. It is not that diffucult. What about mygnr interviews with people that worked on CD, what were their experiences? That is not so difficult to arrange. Where is the energy?

The main mygnr website should be passed aside to a forum member who would be happy to update it. The forum page should be updated too, I am sure there is a member here who would do it for free.

I agree completely!

what a stale fart this place is now. DONT TALK BAD ABOUT AXL! DONT TALK BAD ABOUT THE GOOFY OWNER AND MODS!!

Thank you for exposing your true colors to everyone,it didn't come as a surprise.

Out of interest, who are you 'gnr bar', and how are you related to the original gnrbar?

I believe he is the original. Could be wrong.

Shelley posted from the gnr bar, and she did not know who this was.

Shelley posted from the gnr bar, and she did not know who this was.

Then I have no idea. I remember reading when this forum was in turmoil, that has was one of the main bidders, and that he had "vast experience in running forums". Can't know for sure, I don't guess.

Fellow GNR fans,

It is with regret to inform you that mygnrforum.com GNR Fan Forumwill be closing as of Friday April 15th.

Running mygnrforum.com since December 31st 2001 has been fun for a long time. It’s made me discuss and meet a whole lots of great GNR fans from all over the world (you know who you are), it’s also gave me the opportunity assist many GNR concerts for free, meet the band and Axl Rose.

In recent years, some aspects have grown to be whole lot less fun: leaks, lack of communication from management, even lawyer letters from the band. Those I lived with and became accustomed to.

Running internet Forum for a large website such as mygnrforum.com (38,452 members) and ten times more fans visiting (guests) requires expensive servers for which the monthly costs are significant.

Absence of promotion of Chinese Democracy, still no US tour, waiting for new material, the recession, are all factors which affect how much money can be made to offset the hosting fees which have been significantly higher than what ads and donations bring in.

I do thank the few supporters who have made donations. Unfortunately, it’s something that never really took off as only few people were able to donate (190$ in the last year). Supporters who have made donations in the last year have been informed how they can get a pro-rata refund if they wish.

So for many years now, I’ve been putting up my own money to help keep alive the Forum. This is a situation which I have discussed with GNR many times. Aside from expressing they want mygnrforum.com closed in the past, even after being offered, GNR has not shown any concrete interest in supporting and/or taking over the mygnrforum.com.

Aside from not making any business sense to run the Forum, it’s grown to expose me as the owner of the site to lawyer letters threatening lawsuits. So it’s making sense to throw the towel now and just close the mygnrforum.com. I guess GNR will finally have what it has wanted for a very long time!

I do believe that this was the best GNR fan Forum of all, with the best infrastructure, best moderating team and best forum members (GNR fans). It’s a shame that could not grow into something more. I often browse other band’s websites and fan forums and truly envy how those other bands have embraced the internet, fan forums, and fans! But not GNR unfortunately. I often think that the Forum could have been so much more for GNR. But then again GNR could also be so much more. But it’s currently not, and has not been for some time now. Great band, great music, great signer, but not so great marketing.

Thank you all for your continued interest during the last 10 years, I truly hope all the GNR fans will be able to find a place to continue to exchange. Thank you to all the forum members who made mygnrforum such a great place over the years, and a special thank you to all the members of the moderating team (past and present) who have put so much of their time into this. Special thanks to Highvoltage, Montrealer and Madison for their implication over the years of running this place.

I also wish all the best to GNR and to Axl Rose for the future.

Eric Romano, admin

quoted for greatness

Fellow GNR fans,

It is with regret to inform you that mygnrforum.com GNR Fan Forumwill be closing as of Friday April 15th.

Running mygnrforum.com since December 31st 2001 has been fun for a long time. It’s made me discuss and meet a whole lots of great GNR fans from all over the world (you know who you are), it’s also gave me the opportunity assist many GNR concerts for free, meet the band and Axl Rose.

In recent years, some aspects have grown to be whole lot less fun: leaks, lack of communication from management, even lawyer letters from the band. Those I lived with and became accustomed to.

Running internet Forum for a large website such as mygnrforum.com (38,452 members) and ten times more fans visiting (guests) requires expensive servers for which the monthly costs are significant.

Absence of promotion of Chinese Democracy, still no US tour, waiting for new material, the recession, are all factors which affect how much money can be made to offset the hosting fees which have been significantly higher than what ads and donations bring in.

I do thank the few supporters who have made donations. Unfortunately, it’s something that never really took off as only few people were able to donate (190$ in the last year). Supporters who have made donations in the last year have been informed how they can get a pro-rata refund if they wish.

So for many years now, I’ve been putting up my own money to help keep alive the Forum. This is a situation which I have discussed with GNR many times. Aside from expressing they want mygnrforum.com closed in the past, even after being offered, GNR has not shown any concrete interest in supporting and/or taking over the mygnrforum.com.

Aside from not making any business sense to run the Forum, it’s grown to expose me as the owner of the site to lawyer letters threatening lawsuits. So it’s making sense to throw the towel now and just close the mygnrforum.com. I guess GNR will finally have what it has wanted for a very long time!

I do believe that this was the best GNR fan Forum of all, with the best infrastructure, best moderating team and best forum members (GNR fans). It’s a shame that could not grow into something more. I often browse other band’s websites and fan forums and truly envy how those other bands have embraced the internet, fan forums, and fans! But not GNR unfortunately. I often think that the Forum could have been so much more for GNR. But then again GNR could also be so much more. But it’s currently not, and has not been for some time now. Great band, great music, great signer, but not so great marketing.

Thank you all for your continued interest during the last 10 years, I truly hope all the GNR fans will be able to find a place to continue to exchange. Thank you to all the forum members who made mygnrforum such a great place over the years, and a special thank you to all the members of the moderating team (past and present) who have put so much of their time into this. Special thanks to Highvoltage, Montrealer and Madison for their implication over the years of running this place.

Eric Romano, admin

quoted for greatness

gnr bar

Who are you?

Guest gunns5

I think the real question is, who is 'blackfrog1' :question: :xmassrudolph:

edit*

theres no doubt subsy would of made a great admin, I don't even recall anyone NOT supporting him when he put his hand up, If I were in the admin position, i would just promote him because of the positive reaction he had with the members, that a lone is what could really help boost this forum back to what it once was.

Edited by gunns5

I think I may have gone too the anything goes section, maybe 5 times in all the years I have been here. Yes a lot of posters use it. but a lot of people that come here for info and never log in and only go too the main new section.

the coolest users go to anything goes, i have never really liked anyone who strictly posts in d/n

Fellow GNR fans,

Eric Romano, admin

quoted for greatness

gnr bar

Who are you?

Still no reply?