Make the Letters from GNR Lawyers Public

SONOFABITCH

Here's one Jarmo posted from back in 2003 with regard to the LatigoHammers fiasco:

To Whom It May Concern:

This law firm represents W. Axl Rose and the musical group "Guns N' Roses." We have been advised that without authorization you are submitting posts on various on-line message boards and chat rooms using the screen names "LatigoBurns" or "LatigoHammers," signing your posts as "Axl" and in fact purporting to be Mr. Rose.

Please be advised that your actions constitute, among other offenses, a wrongful use and misappropriation of Mr. Rose's name in violation of his federal and state common law rights, as well as federal and state statutory rights including, without limitation, rights of publicity, rights under the Lanham Act and certain rights under the Trademark Cyberpiracy Prevention Act. Your actions violate numerous laws that provide for civil and criminal penalties for which you may be liable, and provide Mr. Rose with numerous remedies including, without limitation, injunctive relief and recovery of actual and/or statutory damages.

Demand is hereby made that you immediately cease and desist from using Mr. Rose's name in any manner, and that you immediately cease and desist from fraudulently holding yourself out publicly as Mr. Rose. In the event that you fail to do so, Mr. Rose has instructed us to vigorously pursue all legal action necessary to protect his rights.

Nothing contained herein or omitted herefrom shall constitute an admission as to any matter or as a waiver or full explication of our client's rights, remedies, contentions, damages and defenses, each of which is specifically reserved.

Standard language, I imagine the other letters are more of the same. Also, recently Sean from CD.com and Jarmo both have said that they get the letters as well.

Ali

This is ridiculous!!

So it means that "Axl" isn't a name but a trademark that only he have the right to use?!

Hilarious, ridiculous!! Mr. Rose has notinhg better to do than to threaten his own fans for signing his name!! SICK

/ASSHOLE ROSE :rofl-lol:

Ya gotta admit any musician that will go after his fans is pretty cool. Seriously, I bet that Latigohammers guy still thinks about that. Thats access people.

Here's one Jarmo posted from back in 2003 with regard to the LatigoHammers fiasco:

To Whom It May Concern:

This law firm represents W. Axl Rose and the musical group "Guns N' Roses." We have been advised that without authorization you are submitting posts on various on-line message boards and chat rooms using the screen names "LatigoBurns" or "LatigoHammers," signing your posts as "Axl" and in fact purporting to be Mr. Rose.

Please be advised that your actions constitute, among other offenses, a wrongful use and misappropriation of Mr. Rose's name in violation of his federal and state common law rights, as well as federal and state statutory rights including, without limitation, rights of publicity, rights under the Lanham Act and certain rights under the Trademark Cyberpiracy Prevention Act. Your actions violate numerous laws that provide for civil and criminal penalties for which you may be liable, and provide Mr. Rose with numerous remedies including, without limitation, injunctive relief and recovery of actual and/or statutory damages.

Demand is hereby made that you immediately cease and desist from using Mr. Rose's name in any manner, and that you immediately cease and desist from fraudulently holding yourself out publicly as Mr. Rose. In the event that you fail to do so, Mr. Rose has instructed us to vigorously pursue all legal action necessary to protect his rights.

Nothing contained herein or omitted herefrom shall constitute an admission as to any matter or as a waiver or full explication of our client's rights, remedies, contentions, damages and defenses, each of which is specifically reserved.

Standard language, I imagine the other letters are more of the same. Also, recently Sean from CD.com and Jarmo both have said that they get the letters as well.

Ali

This is ridiculous!!

So it means that "Axl" isn't a name but a trademark that only he have the right to use?!

Hilarious, ridiculous!! Mr. Rose has notinhg better to do than to threaten his own fans for signing his name!! SICK

Sorry that's just ignorant. If someone was pretending to be Axl Rose, it's a form identity theft and only serves to hurt both Axl's image and the fans. Speaking as a fan who had to listen to lots of bullshit rumours created by people pretending to be Axl, then listening to the feedback from the people too stupid to realise it was fraudulent, I can honestly hand on heart say anyone who plays that kind of stunt deserves to receive legal action against them.

I do think if the forum is to continue on a bit more transparency would go a long way into this place really prospering. Making these letters/documents public would be a good thing as it shines light on both sides of the story so we can all make our own mind up on what really happened/or is happening.

my 0.01 cents.

I don't agree with this either. It's not up to us to pass judgement on what legal affairs the forum itself is going through, that's the private business of both the band and the forum owners. Our job is to discuss the music we supposedly like and those who make it. This is not government and we do not elect who is and who isn't in the band.

To Whom It May Concern:

Ali

This is ridiculous!!

Oh please. Of course you realize it is two different things to pretend you are named a certain way and to pretend you are a certain person. Of course if you are a celebrity that could be incredibly damaging, and if it would happen to you it would be extremely uncomfortable. You are not a "fan" if you do something like that. Just because you call yourself a "fan" does not make you holy in some way. Mark Chapman was a "fan".

Everything Axl does or every way he reacts is not MEAN, it's sometimes just normal. He takes a lot of shit.

It must be strange be thanked in the Chinese Democracy credits, being invited backstage, and then getting legal threats.

People seem to be treating the letters as being a lot more personal than they really are. They're not exactly intended as a vindictive attack on Eric (Or Jarmo or Sean). Even though Eric got the invites and back stage passes and stuff, that doesn't mean he's allowed to let things run amock. As the forum owner and admin, he's the one responsible. These letters would, and clearly have, been sent to any forum where stuff like this went down...the fact this is one of the biggest ones is why so many people start shit over here....e.g. the MSL stuff. Stuff like that, or even people protending to be Axl or any other member, is potentially damaging and those involved want and deserve their rights to be upheld.

And a lot of legal letters will expressly state (as a law student with work experience behind me, i've seen enough...even if it is the UK, not the US) that the letters are confidential and not to be disclosed. Why would Eric, or anyone else, want to jeapordise themselves so openly and easily?

Well, I did get some time before getting credit and backstage and it didn't prevent getting credit, backstage and meeting Axl. True letter was not specifically aimed at me.

Mabye I took recent letter a bit too personnal as I felt that it could have been resolved by a simple phone call.

I won't make any of these letters public.

To Whom It May Concern:

Ali

This is ridiculous!!

Sorry that's just ignorant. If someone was pretending to be Axl Rose, it's a form identity theft and only serves to hurt both Axl's image and the fans. Speaking as a fan who had to listen to lots of bullshit rumours created by people pretending to be Axl, then listening to the feedback from the people too stupid to realise it was fraudulent, I can honestly hand on heart say anyone who plays that kind of stunt deserves to receive legal action against them.

I do think if the forum is to continue on a bit more transparency would go a long way into this place really prospering. Making these letters/documents public would be a good thing as it shines light on both sides of the story so we can all make our own mind up on what really happened/or is happening.

my 0.01 cents.

I don't agree with this either. It's not up to us to pass judgement on what legal affairs the forum itself is going through, that's the private business of both the band and the forum owners. Our job is to discuss the music we supposedly like and those who make it. This is not government and we do not elect who is and who isn't in the band.

Of cource I undestand!! Just not understand is how such a thing (or joke) that doesn't set any misrepresetation may be taken so far.

As far as I know you or any one can use any screem name or sign as you wish, except if it's a trade mark or something like that. Besides, since nobody used his ID or passaport number or have used inappropriately the band official channels to manifest themselves, seems too vague for me, Axl could be anyone, why buy it like if was Axl Rose from Guns N' Roses singning, got it?

I can't figured out what kind of damaged such childish thing could bring. This kind of shit happens almost every day in celebrities foruns.

I think some unscrupulous lawyers think they can take advantage of ignorance and unknowing of laws by some people.

I do not support this kind of thing but would love to be prosecuted for such a crap!! :thumbsup:

To Whom It May Concern:

Ali

This is ridiculous!!

Grow up. Impersonating anyone is a crime. All that much more serious if it's a well-known person in the public eye.

The immaturity on this board never ceases to amaze me.

Of course this all begs the question of why Axl (since he owns the rights to the GNR name, right?) and his lawyers don't go after all the people selling fake and/or unlicensed shit on eBay. That's his decision obviously and I can understand that it would be a monumental task but I say put the problem in eBay's hands. Send them a letter to get the shit cleaned up. Just my two cents

To Whom It May Concern:

Ali

This is ridiculous!!

Grow up. Impersonating anyone is a crime. All that much more serious if it's a well-known person in the public eye.

The immaturity on this board never ceases to amaze me.

Speak for yourself!! What kind of crap are you?

Don't come here talking as if Axl's attitudes was an example of mature behavior.

I can't see any kind of misrepresentation (or like you said) impersonation in that case.

This letter is a joke, it only serves to frighten little boys who doesn't have any legal knowledge.You should inform yourself before shouting your opinion... :thumbsup:

Axl was using Dexxter so what, should showtime sue Axl for that?

I'm guessing it was not about using that specific three letter name but the fact that the person pretended to BE AXL. God, hundreds of people on this board have names with Axl in them without that being an issue. Is it so hard to grasp the difference or are you people really trying not to?

Edited by Changes

It must be strange be thanked in the Chinese Democracy credits, being invited backstage, and then getting legal threats.

People seem to be treating the letters as being a lot more personal than they really are. They're not exactly intended as a vindictive attack on Eric (Or Jarmo or Sean). Even though Eric got the invites and back stage passes and stuff, that doesn't mean he's allowed to let things run amock. As the forum owner and admin, he's the one responsible. These letters would, and clearly have, been sent to any forum where stuff like this went down...the fact this is one of the biggest ones is why so many people start shit over here....e.g. the MSL stuff. Stuff like that, or even people protending to be Axl or any other member, is potentially damaging and those involved want and deserve their rights to be upheld.

And a lot of legal letters will expressly state (as a law student with work experience behind me, i've seen enough...even if it is the UK, not the US) that the letters are confidential and not to be disclosed. Why would Eric, or anyone else, want to jeapordise themselves so openly and easily?

Well, I did get some time before getting credit and backstage and it didn't prevent getting credit, backstage and meeting Axl. True letter was not specifically aimed at me.

Mabye I took recent letter a bit too personnal as I felt that it could have been resolved by a simple phone call.

Except that they couldn't have called you -- you were in Cuba and no one was able to get in touch with you. Remember?

Would you believe me if I said that I was Jesus Christ? He appeared once in 2000 years, Axl gave a vid interview 20 years ago? Lawyers, management or who ever does it, takes it too seriously, everything would be Ok if Axl appeared in public from time to time and gave an interview or a statement!

To Whom It May Concern:

Ali

This is ridiculous!!

So what does that say about you? Spending your time posting on a forum of a singer that you dislike. Makes you a bit of a clown, doesn't it.

And.....of course it is OK for a celebrity to use legal means to stop somebody from using their name. To say otherwise is ridiculous. There is a big different between using some form of Axl in your screen name......and pretending to BE Axl. Even a junior high student realizes that.

Except that they couldn't have called you -- you were in Cuba and no one was able to get in touch with you. Remember?

Playing smart ass? Cell phones work in Cuba.. CUBACELL had exceptionnal signal strength and quality. ;)

Guest gunns5

so Eric have you resolved your issues with GnR now after first expressing your disdain for them and now all seems to be rectified with a supposed financial donor coming to the party?

Would you believe me if I said that I was Jesus Christ? He appeared once in 2000 years, Axl gave a vid interview 20 years ago? Lawyers, management or who ever does it, takes it too seriously, everything would be Ok if Axl appeared in public from time to time and gave an interview or a statement!

No. Because Jesus Christ is a fictional being...

yes but chances of seeing Axl on TV(doing an interview) are equal to seeing Jesus on Letterman.

No. Because Jesus Christ is a fictional being...

yes but chances of seeing Axl on TV(doing an interview) are equal to seeing Jesus on Letterman.

that's because jesus doesn't like to be on letterman