What's stopping Slash/Izzy/Duff/Steven reuniting without Axl?

Towelie

Led Zeppelin reunited without Robert Plant, why doesn't Slash/Izzy/Duff/Steven just find another singer, call themselves "Guns" and start kicking ass again?

Lets face it, it's got to be better than Slash's rent-a-singer gigs, and to be honest I think people would accept them more as Guns N Roses than Axl's version of the band. Outside the hardcore fans, Slash is the person people think of first when you say the name Guns N Roses. Before I was a fan I didn't have the first clue about Axl, but I knew very well who Slash was.

I really don't understand why they haven't done this already... Also, I think Axl would HATE it, which would be all the more reason to do it.

Edited by Towelie

Steven will be too much of a liability as previously mentioned.

Izzy doesn't want to be doing the big tours. Thats why he declined to play for Velvet Revolver.

Slash is on tour playing shows and getting good reviews.

Duff has just brought out a new album is also playing shows.

They would have to drop that to get back into the swing of playing with each other again. And as someone (I belive it was Slash) said, It won't be the same. It was right 5 people at the right time.

Izzy didnt turn off VR offer, not from scratch at least. I've read somewhere he wanted it to be only the 4 of them (Slash, Duff, Izzy and Matt). This was like 7 years after he left from GNR. He thought a singer would cause problems which is in fact perfectly true now. Izzy wanted Duff to be lead singer, Slash said no. Why is that? My oppinion is that Slash wanted himself to be the star of the band. No, i'm not a Slash hater, but thats how I see it. They could have tried at least. Since Slash refused this, Izzy said no and that's about it.

My answer to the topic question is that Axl is wrong seen as the main problem of the band. Reality is more things went bad between members by the time Steven was fired and Izzy left. GNR's AFD lineup was the kind of perfect match that happens once in life. To try and recreate it as a 4-piece or 5-piece (without) band wouldnt have resulted in anything as great as GNR. My guess is that Izzy knew all of this by that time and made the wisest decision not to join either nuGNR or VR

Izzy didnt turn off VR offer, not from scratch at least. I've read somewhere he wanted it to be only the 4 of them (Slash, Duff, Izzy and Matt). This was like 7 years after he left from GNR. He thought a singer would cause problems which is in fact perfectly true now. Izzy wanted Duff to be lead singer, Slash said no. Why is that? My oppinion is that Slash wanted himself to be the star of the band. No, i'm not a Slash hater, but thats how I see it. They could have tried at least. Since Slash refused this, Izzy said no and that's about it.

I just think Slash wanted a front man instead of a mediocre singer hiding behind a guitar. It wouldn't have been the same.

Well Zeppelin didn't really reunite without Plant as the thing never got off the ground, which, having seen Myles with Slash, is a crying shame because Myles with Zeppelin would have been epic. Although one of the songs from those sessions is coming out on the new Black Country Communion album (Jason Bonham's current band).

I'd love to see the four guys together again but a) Steven is too much of a liability and b.) Izzy doesn't like touring so you have Duff, Slash, Matt and a new rhythm guitarist which is (or rather was) Velvet Revolver.

I think VR is/was the closest we got and probably will get to a classic GN'R reunion, although who knows what will happen at the Rock And Roll Halll of Fame? Having said that it would be awsome if Izzy at least co-wrote some VR stuff even if he didn't tour it.

Edited by LesPaul_Player_91

• 5 weeks later...

Dude there is no GNR without Axl. As for Led Zepplin, when they did get together for some shows everyone was there including Robert Plant except for John, who was dead.

Led Zepplin were like brothers and when John Bonham died, that was it. They felt you could never replace him. Also the around the same time, Robert Plant lost his son. Too much death, so they called it quits.

Led Zepplin will always be one of the best rock and roll bands of all times, as will GNR, but there wouldn't be a GNR without Axl. No way.

What stopping them from reunion? Well, maybe Axl himself becuase they can't use the name, and it would'nt be a full reunion with Axl, it'll look like a sad attempt to try and get more money. This is'nt like a Led Zeppelin where that have a new singer, Axl own's the name and the right's to the name. They can't call it Guns N' Roses or Axl will definately take them to court.

Edited by GNR123GNR456

• 2 weeks later...

The only guy that could even come close to pulling it off is Sebastian Bach, and they kinda burned that bridge when they picked Weiland over him for VR. What exactly were they thinking anyway?

Bach didn't wanna do it becuase of his personal freindship with Axl, and Slash said they sounded like "Skid Roses."

The only guy that could even come close to pulling it off is Sebastian Bach, and they kinda burned that bridge when they picked Weiland over him for VR. What exactly were they thinking anyway?

Bach didn't wanna do it becuase of his personal freindship with Axl, and Slash said they sounded like "Skid Roses."

Bach wasn't really friends with Axl at that point.

Led Zeppelin reunited without Robert Plant, why doesn't Slash/Izzy/Duff/Steven just find another singer, call themselves "Guns" and start kicking ass again?

Lets face it, it's got to be better than Slash's rent-a-singer gigs, and to be honest I think people would accept them more as Guns N Roses than Axl's version of the band. Outside the hardcore fans, Slash is the person people think of first when you say the name Guns N Roses. Before I was a fan I didn't have the first clue about Axl, but I knew very well who Slash was.

I really don't understand why they haven't done this already... Also, I think Axl would HATE it, which would be all the more reason to do it.

ugh...

i hate it when people say zep almost reunited without plant. they didnt. they had a full reunion in 2007. page and jones almost continued with another singer but WOULD NOT HAVE CALLED IT ZEPPELIN. page stated numerous times it wouldnt be Zep without plant, it was just the idiot media making shit up

• 2 weeks later...

ugh...

i hate it when people say zep almost reunited without plant. they didnt. they had a full reunion in 2007. page and jones almost continued with another singer but WOULD NOT HAVE CALLED IT ZEPPELIN. page stated numerous times it wouldnt be Zep without plant, it was just the idiot media making shit up

It's also in recent years that they felt Jason Bonham was up to the task of filling his dad's shoes. Robert made a comment in the late 80s about Jason having a long way to go, and it sounded like he was annoyed with him at the time.

Jones was pissed off that Plant and Page didn't bother to contact him when they were going to work together again. He prob. would've been fine just producing the album with Page and not touring with them. He made a comment that it took 3 people (bass, keyboards, etc) to cover one person (him). He had renewed interest in recording and doing some live shows after that. It just sounded like Page and Jones wanted to keep working and playing live, but Plant was focused on working with Alison Krauss and continuing doing his own thing. He started being reluctant about continuing on with Led Zep ever since "Presence". I think he has good intuition on what works for him. He's tired of "Stairway" as much as the rest of the world is and can't sing it to the best of his ability. But if they're going to be Led Zep, they're obligated to play that and others.

I think Page, Jones, and Bonham should've teamed up with Ann and Nancy from Heart and did the Led Zep songs, the same way the Black Crowes toured with Jimmy. No one would be thinking it's replacing Led Zep, but at least Ann can sing the songs. Or someone who has the range Plant has. Maybe Jeff Buckley would've recorded with Page, Robert Plant said Buckley was a better singer than he ever was.

That should've been their "Swan Song" in hindsight and should've gone solo earlier. But then they were playing stadiums and making boatloads of cash.

• 1 month later...

Izzy didnt turn off VR offer, not from scratch at least. I've read somewhere he wanted it to be only the 4 of them (Slash, Duff, Izzy and Matt)

it kills me thinking how awesome that would have been

Contraband was the closest we habe come to this. It was based on the music they (Slash, Izzy(briefly), Duff, Matt (and Dave)) wrote. I thought Izzy wanted to sing originally and when that was rejected by the other band members it lead in part to Izzy walking. It' long been known he hates touring which prolly didn't help either.

That's why Contraband and Libertad sound so different as Scott was very heavily involved in Libertad but Contraband was already written by the time he come on board.

Contraband is closer to the old guns sound imno (for the most part I don't even like Libertad) but it was never going to recapture the old magic even assuming you had a functioning Adler and an Izzy that was fully engaged. Without Axl you'd be missing that vital ingredient.

Even now when I listen to Contraband I can't help but wish for Axl's voice.