McCartney, Ringo, Jagger & Johnny Rotten supergroup?!?!

Guest Len B'stard

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Len B'stard

i don't deny that there is a connection there and i don't deny that The Beatles by virtue of being an international phenomena must've penetrated the iron curtain and had some sort of effect on the youth there but all that really means is young people in that day and age dug The Beatles, the rest is just reaching...SERIOUSLY reaching.

Steve Jones made some funny comments during the royal wedding yesterday on Twitter.

Diamond Jubilee is right before the Olympics, so I'm sure once they announce the entertainment for that, the list of names of who will be at the Olympics will come up.

But odds are Boyle is staging something that includes all of them for the opening ceremony, not actually singing together in a band.

Maybe Boyle has an idea that includes Pistols, Stones and Beatles songs where they'll just come out and sing. It could be a mini-movie or some sort of sketch. Maybe some Pythons will be taking part in it. Maybe with Kate Bush out of her seclusion she'll take part in it. I'm pretty sure he's going to push for Gilmour and Waters to do some Floyd music.

Some might say even more. The Sex Pistols and conversely punk has influenced EVERYTHING. It's totally inseperable from contemporary culture, more so even than rock n roll which as Mr McLaren rightly predicted, it has eclipsed.

McLaren also thought Bow Wow Wow was the next big thing.....

It's totally inseperable from contemporary culture, more so even than rock n roll which as Mr McLaren rightly predicted, it has eclipsed.

Wouldn't say eclipsed, I'd say Rock absorbed it, and took from it like it did every other genre and style that has ever influenced it.

Guest Len B'stard

It's totally inseperable from contemporary culture, more so even than rock n roll which as Mr McLaren rightly predicted, it has eclipsed.

Wouldn't say eclipsed, I'd say Rock absorbed it, and took from it like it did every other genre and style that has ever influenced it.

See i'd be inclined to agree with you almost on that one except that the more 'punk' aspects are what permeates current rock music, i'd say there's more of punk in it than there is of the early 70s monsters of rock. One thing that rock can't escape is that if you really want the genre to have any relevance to youth culture (and it does want that desperately) you gotta deal with the fact that rock n roll is simple music, amateurish compared to a lot of other genres and all that these big stadium dinosaurs do is alienate the angry young men who wanna express something they feel and not necessarily someone elses mode of behaviour.

The whole THING about rock n roll that made it cool to begin with is it was simple, it was catchy and it got you moving on a saturday night, who the fucks gonna dance to a 20 minute solo? Music belongs to the people and what that whole early to mid 70s generation was proliferating was a form of fascism like you gotta be THIS before you're even worth listening to well excuse me but fuck you, the people spoke, not everybody wants to have to go to fucking Julliard schools and have degrees in music, some people just wanna bounce around for 40 mins, get drunk, get laid and go home.

It just robs it of the whole rebel stance, studious rock n roll, it's just pathetic. Now don't get me wrong, i'm not pushing for some kinda anti-intellectual revolution here, be smart, know your shit but for fuckssake, when the school bells rung i don't wannabe in fuckin class anymore, i wanna shake some molecules.

Alls they were doing was killing music, taking all the fun out of it, making it into like...an institution with its own sort of propriety and acceptable modes of behaviour and taste when the whole thing came about as a reaction to that sort of shit. It's just so fucking dull and humourless and...ugh, i dunno, just crap.

Punk has made it so that kind of music is just unpalletable now. You don't get pompous rock anymore cuz people'd just die laughing at it, it just exists as self parody now or satire.

Someone once said to be something about prog rock, on a slight tangent here which i suppose in itself could be considered to be a degree of pomposity but basically that a lot of those bands made this big bloated shit cuz they were incapable of writing simple catchy shit.

It seems to me it comes and goes in cycles,

just because Punk was there and influential, doesn't mean GNR didn't have lengthy solo spots and still were the biggest band in the world in the 90s. The initial attitude of anti-musicianship anti-excess had faded by the mid/late 80s, and the hard rock scene was back to excess, long jams and endless solo spots. Then Nirvana hit the reset button again, no more musicianship until the mid 00s, now it seems we got crazy shred again and people seem to dig it...

But because the way people are exposed to music has changed so much, It looks like people are a lot more individual about seeking what they wanna hear without the media saying "this is the great new thing check them out". Whereas back in the day undecided listeners were quicker to jump on a bandwagon that caught their ear, since everybody had MTV and listened to radio

I think in the MTV era Bullet For My Valentines Fever album would have made them massive household names but now it's just one niche market or is lost in the shuffle. People say things are huge that get no coverage.