DJ Ashba "Working on the new Guns record"

The Glow Inc.

Eh, i don't understand. Why can you bet your ass off that the album will have a solid single & airplay just because Ashba is involved? .....DJ Ashba isn't exactly a huge power player in the industry.

He is a grammy award nominated artist, Life is beautiful was the most played rock track of 2007, and currently Lies of the Beautiful People is number 5 on the rock charts on Itunes and still climbing.

He clearly isn't a huge rockstar but he is more "popular" than Finck, Bucket, Bumble, Fortus and Tobias reunited...

It's Axl's best shot at getting popular again. Maybe not at making the best music, but at having a successful song. :shrugs:

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I asked DJ if there was gonna be a new GNR album this year and he said, "a christmas one." Which of course makes me think we'll get a new GNR record before christmas!

Don't want to get too excited but...that would be pretty cool :thumbsup:

I asked DJ if there was gonna be a new GNR album this year and he said, "a christmas one." Which of course makes me think we'll get a new GNR record before christmas!

Then again it may be a joke as in a christmas-themed album... lol that would be funny/weird hypothetically though....

DO YOU KNOW WHERE YOU ARE?! YOU'RE UNDER THE MISTLETOE BABY!! YOUR GONNA GET A KISSSSS!!!!

Then again it may be a joke as in a christmas-themed album... lol that would be funny/weird hypothetically though....

DO YOU KNOW WHERE YOU ARE?! YOU'RE UNDER THE MISTLETOE BABY!! YOUR GONNA GET A KISSSSS!!!!

I think it was a hint. Like maybe they'll release one late november like they did with CD.

Im giving it a 30% chance and not looking too much into it. The GNR members are very jocular in their interviews and also tend to give stronger hints than that

Something tells me DJ is going to have a similar role on the next record as Robin did on the last, ie the occasional co-write and a fair few solo spots.

Would be cool if they put together a half CD era / half DJ/BF era record. I just hope Ron doesn't get relegated to the sidelines. Something tells me he won't want to stick around if he can't contribute original material.

Given the recent history of this band, I'll believe it when the record is out in stores; and hopefully they scrap the rest of the Democracy recordings and bring in fresh ideas with Ron and DJ, rather than rehash all of Robin's and Bucket's shit

Sorry, but it's true. You can no more accuse DJ of copying Slash than you can accuse Slash of copying Marc Bolan and Welcome to My Nightmare-era Alice Cooper.

Slash was not the first rocker to wear a top hat :shrugs:

Ali

No, but he was the first to make it iconic in rock and especially in GNR which Ashba is now in. It struck me as odd at first but then hey, whatever. He's gonna do what he's gonna do.

I just talked to DJ and he said he IS writing songs WITH AXL.

Really, really glad to hear that. It's great that Axl's writing songs again. I wonder if it's DJ who was a catalyst.

Thanks Lucrecia.

Edited by Scumcat Esq.

Given the recent history of this band, I'll believe it when the record is out in stores; and hopefully they scrap the rest of the Democracy recordings and bring in fresh ideas with Ron and DJ, rather than rehash all of Robin's and Bucket's shit

This.

But it is great news that something is happening.

Sorry, but it's true. You can no more accuse DJ of copying Slash than you can accuse Slash of copying Marc Bolan and Welcome to My Nightmare-era Alice Cooper.

Slash was not the first rocker to wear a top hat :shrugs:

Ali

No, but he was the first to make it iconic in rock and especially in GNR which Ashba is now in. It struck me as odd at first but then hey, whatever. He's gonna do what he's gonna do.

Uh, no, that is completely your opinion as a GN'R fan. Ask a T-Rex or Alice Cooper fan about that and it's entirely possible, if not likely, they'll have a different opinion.

Ali

its cool that hes actually writing songs with axl but that just means its gonna take even longer for a new album to come out instead of the leftover chinese session stuff

He also said that there could be a "Christmas album" coming out... :shrugs:

So he didn't clarify as to whether he's actually writing songs, or just adding his parts to the rest of the CD Session tracks? The latter makes more sense to me, but at this point, who the fuck knows? :shrugs:

So he didn't clarify as to whether he's actually writing songs, or just adding his parts to the rest of the CD Session tracks? The latter makes more sense to me, but at this point, who the fuck knows? :shrugs:

I asked him "are you writing songs WITH Axl Rose?" He said YES. Interpret however you want.

If that's the case, maybe the next album will be a mix of both old and new tracks. Kinda like what the Stones did on the 'Tattoo You' album.

I asked him "are you writing songs WITH Axl Rose?" He said YES. Interpret however you want.

If that's the case, maybe the next album will be a mix of both old and new tracks. Kinda like what the Stones did on the 'Tattoo You' album.

I can really see that being the case.

Maybe DJ will write a few new song's or solo's for the new album, but they'll keep song's like The General, Atlas Shrugged, Thyme, Silkworm's on the album.

And since DK has confirmed that he is writing with Axl atleast 3 time's already, I have no reason to say he is pulling our leg. Axl seem's very fond of DJ's ability's and seem's to be closer to DJ than any other member during the tour. DJ also co-wrote the grammy-nominated Saint's of Los Angeles and Sixx A.M.'s first single is in the top 5 single's chart on iTunes. The guy know's how to write a song.

Oh, and a album before Christmas, I'm stoked. Maybe "same bat time, same bat channel," November 23?

Edited by GNR123GNR456

I can really see that being the case.

Maybe DJ will write a few new song's or solo's for the new album, but they'll keep song's like The General, Atlas Shrugged, Thyme, Silkworm's on the album.

And since DK has confirmed that he is writing with Axl atleast 3 time's already, I have no reason to say he is pulling our leg. Axl seem's very fond of DJ's ability's and seem's to be closer to DJ than any other member during the tour. DJ also co-wrote the grammy-nominated Saint's of Los Angeles and Sixx A.M.'s first single is in the top 5 single's chart on iTunes. The guy know's how to write a song.

Oh, and a album before Christmas, I'm stoked. Maybe "same bat time, same bat channel," November 23?

That's what I was thinking!! :xmasssanta:

That's what I'm hoping.

Anybody remember when DJ said they "the next album won't take as long." Or when Axl was in New York and there was a report saying "Axl's working on new material and has something to prove."

I sure hope we hear something new this year.

Edited by GNR123GNR456

Ok this isn't really hate, but I can't say I'm really enthused about DJ writing with Axl. I don't think DJ sucks, but having listen to Sixx Am, the type of music DJ was writing with them is like the crap you hear on the radio, ala Nickelback; Don't get me wrong, I do like a couple of Sixx Am songs and I even purchased the album last year, but I just think that type of music is disposable, for lack of a better word.

Same here...

I hope he's just "helping" Axl more than anything else :xmasssanta:

EDIT : to be fair, I really liked Saints of Los Angeles and enjoyed Beautiful Creatures so I think he can adapt to the band he's working with...

Edited by The Glow Inc.

Ok this isn't really hate, but I can't say I'm really enthused about DJ writing with Axl. I don't think DJ sucks, but having listen to Sixx Am, the type of music DJ was writing with them is like the crap you hear on the radio, ala Nickelback; Don't get me wrong, I do like a couple of Sixx Am songs and I even purchased the album last year, but I just think that type of music is disposable, for lack of a better word.

That's what DJ wrote with those guys. What he makes while collaborating with Axl can possibly sound totally different.

I think it will. Besides, The Sixx A.M. record's are based on Nikki Sixx's books, they have a story to tell.

DJ co-wrote Motley Crue's Saint's of Los Angelses and that song is killer.

I trust DJ to pull out a great hard-rock song or two.

That's what DJ wrote with those guys. What he makes while collaborating with Axl can possibly sound totally different.

I agree, the final outcome of a song would be the product of every writer's input. Axl would have the main vision and responsibility to keep the sound that is GN'R as he is one of the original creators. I'm pretty sure though, that the guys in the band have a solid idea of what they are aiming for, and writes their stuff in that particular direction.

I reckon Axl can tell the difference between bland rock music and real stuff that he would want on a Guns' album, he wouldn't let any rubbish onto it, CD was pretty much all killer no filler, and one things for sure: every track was unique