DJ Ashba "Working on the new Guns record"

The Glow Inc.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uninformed? I saw DJ twice before joining GN'R and expressed a differing opinion based in part off that and I'm uninformed? Or, are you one of those of the opinion that irrespective of how many other musicians have worn a top hat, Slash has the market cornered somehow on the right to wear top hats in rock? If taking into all those factors in forming an opinion constitutes uninformed nonsense, then, yeah, I'll keep spouting that off.

Ali

Post something about the actual topic. You spend too time arguing with others about things that don't matter.....

Thanks for the lesson on what I should be talking about. That's meaningful coming from the person that themselves commented on DJ's image :rolleyes:

Ali

Uninformed? I saw DJ twice before joining GN'R and expressed a differing opinion based in part off that and I'm uninformed? Or, are you one of those of the opinion that irrespective of how many other musicians have worn a top hat, Slash has the market cornered somehow on the right to wear top hats in rock? If taking into all those factors in forming an opinion constitutes uninformed nonsense, then, yeah, I'll keep spouting that off.

Ali

Its not about Slash being the one able to wear a top hat. Its that he is very closely associated with it in GNR, which would make it very easy for a casual fan (who has never seen or heard DJ before) to say "lolololo he's copying Slash."

Last thing I'll say about this: If the casual fan were to think that, being blissfully unaware of DJ's historical look and/or the history of other rockers wearing top hats, then they're not just casual fans - they're uninformed and ignorant-of-the-facts fans.

On what DJ said in the chat on his website. Is it possible that he was just being sarcastic about GN'R releasing a Christmas album? Maybe he wasn't making a serious comment at all about a release date or anything else. Maybe he was just being sarcastic and making a joke about a Christmas album and it just didn't translate into that clearly without the tone of voice indicating sarcasm?

Ali

Guest siliconmessiah

Ali

Its not about Slash being the one able to wear a top hat. Its that he is very closely associated with it in GNR, which would make it very easy for a casual fan (who has never seen or heard DJ before) to say "lolololo he's copying Slash."

Last thing I'll say about this: If the casual fan were to think that, being blissfully unaware of DJ's historical look and/or the history of other rockers wearing top hats, then they're not just casual fans - they're uninformed and ignorant-of-the-facts fans.

On what DJ said in the chat on his website. Is it possible that he was just being sarcastic about GN'R releasing a Christmas album? Maybe he wasn't making a serious comment at all about a release date or anything else. Maybe he was just being sarcastic and making a joke about a Christmas album and it just didn't translate into that clearly without the tone of voice indicating sarcasm?

Ali

The casual fan/festivalgoer will get a good laugh from it: "Look, he´s even trying to imitate Slash wearing a hat". Or: "OMFG, Slash is back! Didn´t know that!?"

Guest siliconmessiah

The casual fan/festivalgoer will get a good laugh from it: "Look, he´s even trying to imitate Slash wearing a hat". Or: "OMFG, Slash is back! Didn´t know that!?"

oh yeah thats exactly how it goes :rolleyes:

Yes. That is typically behaviour for casual fans/festival goers. They are different from us fans from the band, always try to make a joke out of the band...:/

I guess you haven´t seen GNR on a festival?

I don't see what the big mess about the hat is about, the real news is that there might be a new album in the works, which is imo the best thing they can do right now

+1

Edited by bran

oh yeah thats exactly how it goes :rolleyes:

Yes. That is typically behaviour for casual fans/festival goers. They are different from us fans from the band, always try to make a joke out of the band...:/

I guess you haven´t seen GNR on a festival?

I have, twice. Both times the audiences were great... Wait, why are we arguing about this? The important thing is the promise of new music (even if my gut tells me we've an extremely long wait ahead of us.)

Yep, I reckon the Christmas comment was tongue in cheek :(

I guess we'll find out for sure when Christmas rolls around. :xmasschef2:

Well, there are two possibilities: 1) He was joking about making a Christmas album, or 2) The desire is to put out a record by Christmas.

Option 2 could be what he meant, but that in and of itself doesn't mean that the album WILL come out by Christmas. So, in other words, if Christmas comes and goes, as I expect, without a record, that won't prove that as of early May it wasn't the intention or desire to come out with a record by the end of the year. It could mean that for whatever reason, it just didn't come to pass.

So, I don't think we'll know what DJ meant by that unless someone follows up with him for clarificaton :shrugs:

Ali

I usually don't like to comment on these kinds of topics because they usually end in disappointment, but i wouldn't be surprised if Axl is bringing in DJ to work on a new guns album, as this is what he did with all the CD era musicians

hope this means good things for GN'R, a new album this fall would be fantastic.

Ali

Ali

Casual fans don't follow every move made by a band. They don't come to message boards. They buy CDs maybe go to shows sometimes. I guarantee if they saw DJ they would say he is copying slash. All I fuckng said was wear other shit, be original, the dude has his own clothing line, make some ridiculous hat so that people look they say, hey that's fucking DJ Ashba fucking rock on. I like the dude, i know hes talented, i cant wait for the next record, and im not just flaming him. That's all I meant, sorry u have lost days of ur life crying over my comment. If u can't comprehend those statements then oh well, either way let it fucking go...

Would axl have anyone else contribute vocally on the next record? Baz didn't have a big role on cd but songs that Izzy sang back with the old band rocked. Axl had backing parts and I know several of you are fans of Izzy's work, what do u think of maybe even bumblefoot getting involved there?

DJ should be himself, period. He shouldn't have to change for Guns, either way.

And your ridiculous didn't result in anything for me, beyond a few comments on a message board. Don't flatter yourself.

Ali

DJ should be himself, period. He shouldn't have to change for Guns, either way.

And your ridiculous didn't result in anything for me, beyond a few comments on a message board. Don't flatter yourself.

Ali

That's the point. I don't give a shit what you have to say. Most of it is hollow support anyways.

Which shows have you been to either in the past or recently?

songs that Izzy sang back with the old band rocked.

14 Years and Dust N' Bones are pretty much at the bottom of the barrel in the GNR catalog.

Wow, never heard someone hating on those songs especially 14 years. Any reason y?