Buckethead or Bumblefoot?

Towelie

64 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest Len B'stard

Who can say? Art doesn't come in betters and worses, it's not like...celebrity squares and if you ever want the music you love and adore to like...get anywhere you gotta get out of this childish grade school "my daddy'd kick yo daddys ass" mentality. How can a guitarist be better or worse than another, what criteria is it based on? Like technical talent, ability to knock out a tune, what?!?! And what do you ever really know of a guitarists talent except what they reveal to you anyway?

My favorite guitarists are like...Johnny Thunders, he's far from technically better than Buckethead but i reckon he's better, i like rock n roll music, not fuckin twiddley fiddley casio keyboard memory bank music, proper rock n roll...i like people like Keith Richards and Robert Johnson and all that, anyone that cares enough to learn the fuckin star wars theme on a fuckin guitar ain't no fuckin rock n roller to me and thats the music i like primarily.

• 2 weeks later...

Bumblefoot : way more technical but kinda hit and miss when it comes to melodic lead parts. He IS capable of WRITING melodic stuff ( just listen to his Hermit album, killer melancholic grungy rock tunes ).

Buckethead : his guitar playing is full of patterns and shticks that he always uses and which make him kinda underrated as a technical player but he's clearly way more melodic and has a better tone IMO. Love his character too.

On their own, I vote for Bumblefoot.

In Guns, I vote Buckethead ( duh ) judging by Chinese Democracy alone.

Live : Bumblefoot because Buckethead's rewriting of Slash's solos was VERY hit & miss ( though I love how the 2001 / 2002 look because of him and Finck ).

I agree with Sunny when he says that Bumble sounds too polished. Sometimes, rawer is better. In that case, it would be cool if he would go for a dirtier tone and playing.

Buckethead : his guitar playing is full of patterns and shticks that he always uses and which make him kinda underrated as a technical player but he's clearly way more melodic and has a better tone IMO. Love his character too.

How is Buckethead underrated as a technical player? I doubt there's anyone who wouldn't say he is one of the top technicians in the guitar world.

Yeah, I meant to say "overrated" instead.

Don't get mad though : he IS one of the best but it's just that some of his most characteristic, signature licks aren't THAT hard to master even though they sound very impressive until you actually try to play them.

And yes, his parts are way better than Ron's on Chinese IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

Ron... I'm probably biased cause he's my favourite member of the band so to choose anyone over him would seem stupid. But I think he's a phenomenal guitar player, he brought ballsy rock n' roll back to GNR (listen to Chinese Democracy before and after him and you'll see what I mean.) He tries his heart out for the fans and is a genuinely nice and deserving guy. What more could you ask for?

Also, this poll's been run a few times in the past. Thus far it's a lot closer than it's ever been before :) This makes me very happy!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Bucket for me as I prefer his more melodic approach, better tone, and epic solos.

Bumble is very close behind tho, and my current favorite guitar player in Guns.

I love his fretless playing, his understanding of the instrument and just his all around awesomeness as a musician and a human being.

Also dig his solo albums and most of his work on Chinese Democracy.

I prefer Buckethead as a solo artist and Bumblefoot in GnR.

Pretty much this. Buckethead is brilliant and has wrote some really awesome stuff, it was while listening to Electric Tears that I cried to an instrumental song, which I never thought I would do, so much emotion in the album combined with me just feeling really down made it happen. Bucket can play some amazing solos, inhuman almost, and is generally a great solo artist. I voted for Bucket because it was the question of who was the BETTER guitarist, not best for GNR. While some of Bucket's work was really good on CD, live he didn't work as well for the band. Bumblefoot on the other hand works really well for GNR, and even if his parts on CD don't always work, their still great. Not to put down Bumble's solo stuff, which is incredible as well :D