The element lacking from the shows from last year

D..

I've finally understood why I have been somewhat unsatisfied with the great GNR gigs I've attended last year: the "sequel" spirit isn't there.

Take this live performance of "Welcome to the jungle" from 1991 for example:

In 2001, Axl gave us some kind of "sequel" stuff when he thanked Beta at the end of the Rock in Rio show:

He also made some rants & nice jokes in 2006.

But last year, it's like: he wasn't there, there wasn't much talking, just the music, not much to say about the new guitarist, DJ Ashba, everything was a bit odd. A GNR show is about Axl being there and communicating with the audience.

One of the things I like the most about old GNR is that when Axl is telling something to the audience, it's like the most important thing on the planet and we can change this planet.

I hope that Axl is preparing something big for Rock in Rio IV. Episode II was old GNR chapter, capturing them at their peak. Episode III was with the first new GNR formation and Axl giving in the dark side of the doughnuts. Now with Episode IV, we hope that it will be a new beginning, a "new hope", and that some interesting stuff will be said.

This topic was sponsored by ITW 2012

I wai

Edited by D..

I think it really depends on the show. I was satisfied with the amount of talking, stories, etc. when I saw them in Hamilton last year. But by the same token, I know there were shows where he virtually didn't utter a word to the crowd.

Part of it may have been that there just wasn't a whole lot going on in the world of GN'R (At least that he could talk about). In '01 and '02, the whole concept of the new band was a big deal. In '06 and '07 there were plenty of leaks, which may have fueled some of Axl's talking during shows (Face it, how many times did we hear "downloading motherfuckers" in '06?). When the last tour kicked off in '09, the album had already been out a year. There was no talk of a new album anytime soon. Literally, all that had happened in a year was Ashba joined.

It's surprising to me that Axl almost didn't talk about Chinese Democracy that was finally released. He sang the songs, there are a few shows where there were some anecdotes about the songs (i was lucky enough to see Axl tell that This I love had been written in Paris in the 90's), but it was like "yeah the album is finally out, we got a new guitarist, no big deal".

I'm sure Axl has a LOT to talk about, about each song, the songs to be released, the current line-up... there is a lot to talk about, it's like he doesn't want to anymore.

The most important thing is the music of course but I find it too bad that a band that was known for the rants & talks isn't that communicative at all anymore.

I think that the audience needs to be entertained and the "sequel" is entertaining. Seeing Axl Rose age is one thing, but hear him talk with his new experiences would be the best.

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

The problem is; when Axl engages the audience there's complaints "he should just sing the songs", and when he just sings the songs, there's calls for him to engage the audience with controversial sentiments. Maybe Axl isn't confident 2011 cares what he has to say...

Edited by NewGNRnOldGNR

The problem is; when Axl engages the audience there's complaints "he should just sing the songs", and when he just sings the songs, there's calls for him to engage the audience with controversial sentiments. Maybe Axl isn't confident 2011 cares what he has to say...

I think that's the issue, in the chats on here he said that the reason he didn't do more interviews about the break up etc. was because he feels people aren't all that interested in what he has to say. You just have to look at the speech he gave at the end of the Leeds Festival last year. I was there and I will testify, that following the order to end the show half an hour earlier than they thought they were going to, Axl said "Thank you all, be safe getting out of here and to the cops and the promoters, fuck you!" A local newspaper instead simply reported that Axl said "Fuck you." and walked offstage in a tantrum... I kind of understood then why he hates the press so much, although it's a kind of vicious cycle, the less he gives them the more shit they write.

When I saw them, He came out BEFORE JUNGLE to tell a story! He talked about getting to the venue, and the band's first riot in Arizona!

He also talked about what IRS was about, dedicated Knockin' to everyone except Tiger Woods, and said he was feeling kinda low because his dog died like two days before the show... He talked for quite a bit before he brought out Bubbles for Liqour & Whores, too.

Then again, I'm convinced the Asia-Canada tour was the best post-1993 GnR tour...

Edited by RickRoses

I was at the great show in Vienna last year.

Short version of report: Awesome, great, kickass show!

In Vienna last year Axl didn't talk a lot in between the songs; after the second or third song he said (reciting all quotes from memory): "Wow, what a great crowd, we got a great audience here tonight! And there are some nice Austrian girls here too..." He later mentioned the crowd again. Maybe that was one reason why he seemed to be in a really good mood, he was smiling a lot; during Shacklers he got this wicked devilish look in his eyes (impersonating the Shackler). The fire from within was burning bright, so to speak.

During KOHD, right before the audience sings, he told a little story I witnessed myself in 2006, when Guns had played here the last time (and I was urprised he could remember this gig, I suppose it all becomes a blur when touring): "So the last time we played here in Austria, that was a couple of years ago at Novarock, I remember I had this little TV there backstage, and could watch a band that went out before us, it was the Bloodhound Gang. And the bassist, he got naked, climbed up onto the drum raiser, and urinated into a baseball cap. And then the singer put on the cap and had the piss all over him. Now I say, what's that supposed to be, fuck that shit!" (with a grin on his face).

He talked a fair bit when i seen him in Birmingham on 17th October. But it was an exceptionally short set. No Better for example. But he did come out at the end of Paradise city, as people were leaving to apologise for the lack of communication and the short set.

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

The man doesn't have to say anything; he captivates the audience simply by being there.

Edited by NewGNRnOldGNR

When I saw them, He came out BEFORE JUNGLE to tell a story! He talked about getting to the venue, and the band's first riot in Arizona!

He also talked about what IRS was about, dedicated Knockin' to everyone except Tiger Woods, and said he was feeling kinda low because his dog died like two days before the show... He talked for quite a bit before he brought out Bubbles for Liqour & Whores, too.

Then again, I'm convinced the Asia-Canada tour was the best post-1993 GnR tour...

IRS is about what? :D