Album Review that compares to ChiDem

Chris1989

LADY GAGA likes to provoke. And with her second album she's going out of her way to raise eyebrows.

Born This Way features songs about prostitution, bondage and being an outsider.

Pounding techno, stadium rock and flamenco house all feature on the 15-track collection, which is not for the faint-hearted.

Scheise is another pounding techno stomper which features a lengthy spoken word section in German.

She shows off her language skills to further extent in Americano where she sings in Spanish. The gentle love song has flamenco flourishes strapped onto another pounding rhythm.

The latter features a foul-mouthed manifesto in support of those on the margins. She sings: "We don't care what people say/We know the truth/Enough of this horses***/I am not a freak."

Elsewhere it's not quite so X-rated as the singer, who's shifted 22million albums, turns her focus to a more traditional MOR sound.

The recently-released single Hair mirrors 80s stadium rock impressively, while Highway Unicorn's mentions of heading out on the open road ape BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN.

Meanwhile, You And I is a similarly stadium-tooled, super-sized power ballad.

With such wildly different musical styles over 15 tracks, Born This Way isn't the most coherent listen.

But it's a brilliantly bold and outrageous offering from the pop world's mistress of mischief

Now, doesn't "wildly different musical styles... isn't the most coherent listen"

Doesn't that remind you of how people see Chinese Democracy?

What is the betting that the music critics all lap this trashy rubbish up and proclaim it the greatest music of this generation? Typical that when the flavour of the month puts out a CD that sounds more like a compilation it will be a hit, but when the media punching bag releases a mixture of song styles and techniques then it is a mess.

She's a pop singer working with different styles of music. You have to take into account the more she records, the more risks she'll take. Right now it's about the money and pop stardom, and it's kind of hard to be completely original if you're also thinking of how to outdo yourself. But she kind of has one foot in alternative where she'll go on stage with Yoko Ono and Sonic Youth. Bowie followed a lot of trends and hired a lot of people to sound a certain way, he had an image to maintain, and he wasn't above making pop albums, but he also had a strong enough following to take his risks with Low or Tin Machine.

Her fanbase are mostly gays and teenagers, and she's been good about namedropping "real bands" at her shows and in interviews.

I think for a first album, she recorded catchy songs and made good videos. With that much attention on her, she knows she has to live with it. I think how she's rolling out the songs one at a time was smart, because even though the album leaked, she's still made money off of what she put out. She licenses some of it off to the Now compilations. And when the CD comes out, people will still buy it in droves even if they can get it for free.

Critics are going to be reluctant to bash her because she's like Obi Wan Kenobi- their only hope - for the music industry.

Guest siliconmessiah

Lady Gaga is an active artist, producing and releasing material that gets airplay and liked by many people, and therefore relevant and also succesful in the music business of 2011.

She also has an updated homepage, and is always doing interviews where she promotes her music.

Her homepage features a wide array of "special edition downloads", box sets and fan-packs with her new cd.

She also has a tour schedule that is updated, and oh, did I forget, it also has more than one show scheduled on it.

Just sayin´.

Edited by siliconmessiah

Lady Gaga is an active artist, producing and releasing material that gets airplay and liked by many people, and therefore relevant and also succesful in the music business of 2011.

She also has an updated homepage, and is always doing interviews where she promotes her music.

Her homepage features a wide array of "special edition downloads", box sets and fan-packs with her new cd.

She also has a tour schedule that is updated, and oh, did I forget, it also has more than one show scheduled on it.

Just sayin´.

someone else we know does none of the above' so deserves no attention at all from anyone' other than keep flogging the dead horse of appettite for destruction with a freakshow that no one who was there at the release wants to see play it;

I honestly don't understand why people think this kind of cheap shit is music.

2) These kinds of albums have been pro-tooled to death,

3) Some dirty old PC nerd compiles the song on their computer using only some digital sound samples and Lady Gaga's voice, somehow I don't find these people true artists. Computer is not a musical instrument, it's a shortcut to making soulless metallic noise. A real band is a group of real people with their unique styles and organic sound.

Isn't that pretty much the same way CD was produced?

Just sayin´.

someone else we know does none of the above' so deserves no attention at all from anyone' other than keep flogging the dead horse of appettite for destruction with a freakshow that no one who was there at the release wants to see play it;

lawrence - the album does not exist ™

Just sayin´.

More like active hack. Not only can she not dance, but playing dress-up is apparently passing for high-art these days. Or maybe she's just high.

Unfortunately, people will never know that Dale Bozzio was hotter, smarter, and could sing better than Lady Gaga.