Punk Thread

Guest Len B'stard

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just saw a documentry on the Sex Pistols. I dig their music but why do so many people dig Sid? He couldn't play his bass and was just a drug addict who did little for anything. The band would have been better off not having anything to do with him

True. He was indeed quite a character, but only because he was so fucked up.

I guess, when you talk about Sid, you have to do it from a not-music-wise perspective. The terms "live fast, die young" and "punk" in general was what he was all about, and that's probably what fascinates so many people.

If anyone embodied the reckless punk rock abandon for life,it was Sid.

He was the most famous for it..but I knew people who literally sacrificed their existence to the lifestyle because it meant everything to them.

They ultimately paid with their lives.

The Adverts fucking rule the world!

Gary Gilmores Eyes

T.V. Smith was actually playing in a pub in my town on Friday night. New a couple of folk who were supporting him. Imagine it would have been a cracking evening.

Absolute belter of a song. The late, great Stuart Adamson on guitar.

I just saw a documentry on the Sex Pistols. I dig their music but why do so many people dig Sid? He couldn't play his bass and was just a drug addict who did little for anything. The band would have been better off not having anything to do with him

I guess, when you talk about Sid, you have to do it from a not-music-wise perspective. The terms "live fast, die young" and "punk" in general was what he was all about, and that's probably what fascinates so many people.

I agree with that - people are more fascinated by Sid's devotion to self destruction rather than his musical skills

Cause I know punk isn't about technical ability but being able to play your instrument would be a good thing to be able to do lol :xmassrudolph:

Guest Len B'stard

I agree with that - people are more fascinated by Sid's devotion to self destruction rather than his musical skills

Cause I know punk isn't about technical ability but being able to play your instrument would be a good thing to be able to do lol :xmassrudolph:

Sid could play as well as anybody could with his limited experience, better in fact. It's unfair to expect him to be John Entwhistle, he never really got the chance to be, fuck me, Sid was playing bass less time than most people do before they have the nerve to get out of their basement with it.

He was popular because he just looked the fucking business. The legend of Sid was wayyy into being made before he died, before he became a junkie so i don't buy that "its cuz he was self destructive and thats what punks about" bollocks, punk ain't about being self destructive, i don't buy that for a moment, there ain't no fuckin brownie points in being a dead person. Loads of things, bashing up Nick Kent, the glass in the eye of some girl at a Damned gig, Sid was just a name/face in the punk movement before it had a name, "in it since its inception" as the man himself said.

The devotion to self destruction shit is actually a very small period of his short life y'know, he was dead within about 15 months of becoming a junkie anyway, to those in the know Sid was a loveable fool, an icon, a looker and the embodiment for better or worse of everything punk was, brief, bright shining, zealous, innocent, self aware, creative. And to those who ain't, he's a t shirt.

It's a thoroughly ridiculous thing to say but i feel awful about Sid. Like personally awful. I think its a giant failing in society that the death of this big dumb kid played out on the news and the papers and the media, someone who some people claimed to love so very very much, died and no one cared to help. That fuckin says something about the lot of us, it's so sad its untrue. These days you have 50,000 minders or psychiatrists or family of a group of friends doing an "intervention"...Sid had nothing. Everybody loves him now, it's easy to love a t shirt or a poster.

4:50 :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
punk ain't about being self destructive, i don't buy that for a moment, there ain't no fuckin brownie points in being a dead person.

Not talking about Sid here Len,but punk was about being self destructive to certain individuals.

You yourself,always hail it as being about what you want it to be about,right?

Well I can tell you from experience,and the rather lengthy list of dead friends..that there are people on this planet who just know they are not long for this Earth.

I don't quite know how to explain that fully,but I knew people who just wanted to live it full on hard on till the lights went out and truly didn't care.

One of the biggest fans of our early scene is,to this day,missing in action.I can tell you without a word of a lie,his clothing and wallet were found at the lip of a volcano in Hawaii.

No one knew he had gone to Hawaii until his personal belongings were returned to his parents by the authorities.

We were shocked,but you know...it just made perfect sense for this guy.

He was a roman candle and went out that way,at the peak of the glow,...that or the fucker is living some secret life in Hawaii,but I really doubt it.

There were extreme people,extreme personalities,extreme lifestyles,extreme consequences.

Some of my dearest freinds shared a house and one day one of the guys came home and saw another friend standing in his room.He asked him if he wanted to go for a beer.No reply.

He walked in the room and found him hanging from an extension cord roped up through the hatch to the attic,over a beam and down wrapped several times around his neck.His toes two inches off the ground.

He lived a fuckin brilliant life and wanted out before it became something he didn't want it to become...thanks...night night.

Now the ususal peeps are probably going to call chickenshit,selfish actions and what not.

Perhaps.

But to some,leaving on a high before stagnation set in was the only option.

Extreme people,extreme personalities,extreme lifestyles,extreme consequences.

I personally don't buy in to it.I don't condone it per say...but knowing the souls of certain individuals it was understandable and an accepted reality (not by choice).

The natural place for people like that was the punk rock community.It fit.It felt right.

No one was doing a Sid copycat thing.It was their own existence.

The soundtrack for people who knew they weren't going to see 25.

They knew it.

And scarily enough...most of the time,so did we.

Some did come as a surprise though.

Many MANY accidental overdoses...far too many.

One lost round of Russian Roulette.

But yeah man...for some...punk was absolutely about self destruction.

And to them...happily so.It may sound weird,but it's completely factual.

These people weren't looking for brownie points.They were looking for a way out that felt right.

I know what you mean about Sid though man,and I completely agree on that regard.

Anyhoo...

For those really interested in this topic...there's a great documentary about the West Coast Vancouver scene late 70's early 80's called Bloodied But Unbowed.

It's a great look into a very important part of the North American scene in the early days.

It has started to play some festivals (it's getting a Toronto premire during the NXNE festival this year).

But it can be viewed online in its entirety...recommended.Definitely worth a look.

link

Oh and...GnR fans...Duff makes an appearance in it.

If you ever watch the "Clockwork Orange" documentary, the one where they discuss the movie being banned - when they talk about the state of England in the early 70s, you'll see the seeds being planted for punk rock, and I think a lot of kids were just surving on unemployment living in places that didn't have hot water where they tried to stay as long as possible. All they needed was some electricity.

As far as New York goes - you had a lot of art school kids looking for cheap rent, and wound up in the same area the homeless wound up sleeping on the streets & parks.

There's definitely a lot of punk rock casualties, but once the full story is told on their lives, it's never "just a rock star death". I think they were all pretty bright, intelligent people who figured this was as good as it was going to get for them. They speculated why Ian Curtis hung himself, and either he just couldn't handle things at his age like Syd Barrett (who fell apart at 23, acid just made it worse), the affair might have gotten to him, being a young dad and husband, or his epilepsy and medication had led to a miserable existence.

Punk always had a violent "fuck the system" element to it. And the next time an album would have that kind of impact was when NWA came out with Straight Outta Compton, Ice-T did Body Count, and Nirvana's "Nevermind".

But you also can't deny GNR kicked that "fuck the system" door open at a time when hard rock was getting soft, as did Janes Addiction. Both bands had punk influences. Plus Danzig started doing metal music, and if you look back at what was making everyone's list of favorite metal albums in the late 80s, Danzig was high on a lot of lists.

And AC/DC had a punk rock following when they first toured outside of Australia.

Len...got your message.

If you sre having problems getting the movie to play,you might not be clicking in the right spot.

Click the link and go to the page.Under the photo it says "Full Length"...click that.

It might take some time to load,but it shouls start playing.

Guest Len B'stard

Len...got your message.

If you sre having problems getting the movie to play,you might not be clicking in the right spot.

Click the link and go to the page.Under the photo it says "Full Length"...click that.

it ain't man :(:( fuck!! Desperately wanna see ittt..says 'not available in your area'.

Len...got your message.

it ain't man :(:( fuck!! Desperately wanna see ittt..says 'not available in your area'.

Ah damn...didn't realize that.

Sorry man.I'll try to see if it's up anywhere else.