Mick Jaggers New Band?

Guest Len B'stard

Guest Len B'stard

Mick Jagger forms new band Super Heavy

Rolling Stones frontman heads up new project with Joss Stone, Dave Stewart and Damian Marley

Mick Jagger has confirmed that he's formed a new group called Super Heavy.

Speaking to NME.COM, The Rolling Stones frontman revealed he has been rehearsing in Los Angeles with a star-studded line-up, which includes Eurythmics' Dave Stewart, Joss Stone and Damian Marley.

Discussing the formation of the new band, Jagger said: "The four of us got together and thought we'd go into a studio and throw some things around, see what would happen, if we'd have fun.

"We didn't know what kind of music we'd make. We knew it would be a laugh, because we all got on. But you can have a laugh and nothing comes out, y'know."

Read moreMick Jagger working on new album by Eurythmics' Dave StewartRolling Stones: 'We've got no firm plans to tour'Rolling Stones' Keith Richards reveals new album sessions

Super Heavy also features AR Rahman, the award-winning composer behind films such as Slumdog Millionaire and 127 Hours. "Dave Stewart and I said to each other, 'Let's phone AR Rahman, he's in town, that'll be different', then we had another continent involved."

Jagger and Stewart have worked together on numerous occasions over the years, as have Jagger and Joss Stone.

Their most notable work together was for the Alfie soundtrack, which included a Jagger/Stewart collaboration 'Old Habits Die Hard' and a Jagger/Joss Stone track 'Lonely Without You (This Christmas)'.

"We've got some more reggae songs, some rock, some ballads, some soul music" Jagger continued.

"We've got one song in Urdu, I managed to do one line in Urdu, only one! It's not world music per se, a Womad festival kind of thing. It's a much more accessible style, a lot of dancey things."

Speaking about the songwriting process, he said "We'd all leap in with our ideas, getting excited about one another. We're four vocalists, we've never worked like that before. It's great because the whole burden's not on you, and that made it fun. There are a lot of different musical styles, maybe even some we've invented."

Referring to his day job, Jagger revealed: "If you're a Rolling Stones fan there's definitely stuff you can relate to. Other stuff that you can't relate to so much, maybe if you listen you'll enjoy it. I don't think it's so far off the beaten track that you can't understand it."

The singer also hinted that fans of The Rolling Stones might have to wait a little longer for another rumoured tour to materialise, as he is considering putting Super Heavy out on the road.

"If people really like it, we will. If they don't like it we won't! We haven't planned to do a tour or anything, but if people really like it maybe we will. We'd love to get together and play some of it live," he concluded.

Earlier this month, Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richard revealed that he had been working on a new album with his X-pensive Winos collective.

http://www.nme.com/news/the-rolling-stones/56800

I never knew Uncle Keith was fuckin with the winos again..

Edited by sugaraylen

I like projects like this, because it's usually just a one-off, or maybe 2 CDs that come out of it.

Don't see the point of saying Dave Stewart's a part of Eurythmics anymore. I'm sure they don't mention it with Annie Lennox. When musicians start doing full time producing/songwriting, it usually doesn't get mentioned. They toured a few times and recorded a couple of songs in the past 20 years.

I'd only see the Stones at this point if Mick Taylor was with them or a theater/club show. Already saw them on the Voodoo Lounge tour and was pretty close to the stage.

this is bound to suck. a lot.

keith with the winos would be pretty cool though...and that song the stones did "together" for the ian stewart tribute was actually pretty good. they should make a blues album if they ever record something again.