Appetite >>> Chinese?

Guest NGOG

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

appettite was relevant in the music scene back then it was ground breaking

chinese has no relevance at all today' the fact you dont hear a single song being played anywere proves that

Edited by lawrence

Appetite For Destruction is a way better album than Chinese Democracy in every way. It wasn't trying to be anything greater than it really was, it just... was what it was; a gnarly modern attitude applied to a classic hard rock sound. It took 5 bums into the lifestyle they had always dreamed of, but were somehow already living before they even played their first big show. There's just an awesome story there, and great songs to back it up.

I really don't hate Chinese Democracy, Axl is literally my all time favorite singer and for the most part I love everything he does, but Chinese Democracy doesn't hold a candle to AFD, Lies, or UYI 1. No matter how much you feel the need to legitimize Axl's band, they aren't the band that made a household name out of Guns N' Roses.

Appetite was 10.0 on the musical richter scale, Chinese was probably like 4.7 or something, and had more people talking about a reunion than ever for some reason.

Edited by sweetness

1. "Chinese Democracy" < "Welcome to the Jungle"

2. "Shackler's Revenge" > "It's so Easy"

3. "Better" (< "Nightrain")

4. "Street of Dreams" > "Out Ta Get Me"

5. "If the World" > "Mr. Brownstone")

6. "There Was A Time" > "Paradise City"

7. "Catcher in the Rye" > "My Michelle"

8. "Sorry" > "Think About You"

9. "IRS" < "Sweet Child O' Mine

10. "Madagascar" > "You're Crazy"

11. "This I Love" > "Anything Goes"

12. "Prostitute" < "Rocket Queen"

CD: 7

AFD: 5

It's all opinion, so I gotta LOL at those putting their foot down with a definitive answer on matters like these, and cite reasons on why their opinion is the RIGHT answer. You can cite sales, influence, relevance, etc. But all that ain't worth a damned on the end users ears and taste.

That being said, I prefer any track off ChiDem over anything on Appetite. No hate on Appetite, it was one of the first records I ever bought (in 87 on vinyl from Record Town in the mall haha), but it didn't age well, IMO. Or maybe it didn't age with me. I look at pics and videos of the band then the same way I look at pics of myself from that era. I thought it was awesome at the time, and maybe I was indeed pretty kick-ass for the 80's. But if I suited up in my hair spray, denim, and leather today, I'd look like a jackass. And I guess that's how I feel about AFD now a days. I grew up, and so did GNR. And I'm thankful for that. I don't have to say "I love GNR in the 80's", rather I can say "I love GNR", even if the back catalog doesn't get as many spins as it used to.

Basically, I got old. My tastes changed a bit, I learned a gton about music theory, comping, guitar musicianship, etc. And with that, I lost a lot of my former appreciation of sleazy, sloppy blues rock. The playing is better on ChiDem, the compositions are more intricate and evolved. AFD is great for what it is, but it's just simple rock n' roll. And that's fine. When I want to hear some sleaze, AFD is my go to record. But when I want to really study a piece of music, take it all in, appreciate the arrangements and composition, ChiDem is on my short-list of 'bests' alongside Pet Sounds, Terrapin Station and the other heavy hitters. Long story short, at this stage in my life I'm more interested in the quality and intricacies of compositions, rather than attitude and image. Thankfully, GnR has seemingly kept up with my tastes in that regard. And that's why they're one of my all-time favorites.

I wouldn't want to attempt a track-by-track 'who's better?', because it's really the luck of the draw I suppose on how the track listings panned out. I sincerely doubt (but who knows with axl...) that the track order was chosen to have any relation to the one on AFD. But the only thing off AFD I would prefer to some of the songs on ChiDem would be Nightrain, but I've scarcely listened to the studio version of that since the Boston show in '02. Buckethead's playing on that is one of my favorite solos ever. It makes me curious as to what he and Izzy would have written for AFD in some alternate universe.

Anyways, it's all opinion people. relax.

Edited by dann

How do you even compare ? Two completely different styles...

It's not comparing - the matter doesn't need complicating. When listening to either song on a CD or MP3, which do you prefer? Simples.

How is that not comparing?

Took the words right out of my fingers, just what I was gonna ask. That is actually a perfect example of comparing. What a fuckwit.

Really cool topic with some interesting results

Chinese Democracy > Welcome to The Jungle

Shackler's Revenge < It's So Easy

Better = Nightrain

Street Of Dreams > Out Ta Get Me

If The World < Mr. Brownstone

There Was A Time > Paradise City

Catcher In The Rye > My Michelle

Sorry = Think About You

IRS < Sweet Child O' Mine

Madagascar > Your Crazy

Rhiad And The Bediouns > Anything Goes

Prostitute = Rocket Queen

and for fun

This I Love < Patience

Part of the appeal of AFD was the rawness of the band, the hunger they had, the foul language and the lack of gloss when compared to other bands of the era. It stood out. CD is good but it's nowhere near AFD and if you think that it is then you are just fooling yourself.

Appetite was GNR's Nevermind The Bollocks. Comparing it to CD is ridiculous. The Appetite guys could never have made a record like CD, and the CD guys could never have made Appetite.

Its like a football player who bursts on the scene at 17 years old and amazes people with his raw pace and talent. More experienced players can see his weaknesses but they dont matter because his pace gets him out of trouble and makes him untouchable. This makes him a legend and the kids who saw him at this stage will always feel priviliged to have done so.

Then he goes through his career and gets to veteran age where he cant just sprint around any more, the magic wears off on lots of people. but quietly the guy has transformed his game so that he is more technically proficient. This extends his career and few would argue that he is in many ways a better and more intelligent player now, but nobody can forget the glory days when he was the main man everyone was talking about and that was what made him a legend.

Its like a football player who bursts on the scene at 17 years old and amazes people with his raw pace and talent. More experienced players can see his weaknesses but they dont matter because his pace gets him out of trouble and makes him untouchable. This makes him a legend and the kids who saw him at this stage will always feel priviliged to have done so.

Then he goes through his career and gets to veteran age where he cant just sprint around any more, the magic wears off on lots of people. but quietly the guy has transformed his game so that he is more technically proficient. This extends his career and few would argue that he is in many ways a better and more intelligent player now, but nobody can forget the glory days when he was the main man everyone was talking about and that was what made him a legend.

Kurt Warner?

Kurt Warner?

I was thinking more Ryan Giggs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEAouJwTYlU

Mine goes like this:

1. "Chinese Democracy" (> "Welcome to the Jungle")

2. "Shackler's Revenge" (< "It's so Easy")

3. "Better" (> "Nightrain")

4. "Street of Dreams" (> "Out Ta Get Me")

5. "If the World" (= "Mr. Brownstone")

6. "There Was A Time" (> "Paradise City")

7. "Catcher in the Rye" (> "My Michelle")

8. "Sorry" (> "Think About You")

9. "IRS" (< "Sweet Child O' Mine)

10. "Madagascar" (> "You're Crazy")

11. "This I Love" (> "Anything Goes")

12. "Prostitute" (= "Rocket Queen")

Edited by Chewbacca

If people are picking songs like Better and There Was A Time over Nightrain and Paradise City, they aren't Guns N' Roses fans. Period.

Hey, cupcake. How about respecting different opinions? You know, I never liked Nightrain for that stupid 1-chord riff, it lacks groove and melody, and PC simply won't do for me for it's BOOooooooOOOOring out-solo: there's thousand of versions for that solo simply because that "solo" is a soulless scale shredding. Everytime that song is played live they simply start improvising that shit out.

Nothing wrong with improvisation, that's part of a live perfomances's magic, but the moment you can exchange the ENTIRE solo for incoherent scale shredding it means that the original thing wasn't that great to begin with. That happens with Civil War's out-solo too, though he usually keeps the beggining of it intact.

wow i can't believe that anyone would attempt to suggest that even the best chinese track is better than the worst afd track

i haven't had the chinese album in my stereo for at least 2 years now and i can tell you in all seriousness that it won't be any time soon

axl dropped the ball big time with that album

he should have just swallowed his ego and called slash and izzy

+1

Chineses Democracy is just painful to listen to. I never play it.

There's some good guitar work, swamped by layers and layers noise, appallingly pieced together in a disjointed way.

AFD just plain rocks! :thumbsup:

It's hard to compare them.. I like the rock n roll style of AFD a lot more than the sound of Chinese Democracy. So it's pretty easy for me to say AFD is a lot better.

CD has some nice solo's on it, some nice ballads, and a few rockers. I think the album is okay, I like it.. but AFD has a lot more energy and I think it's great.

My hope for a new album would be that the current band keeps writing and they regain more of a rock sound and that the songs sound more natural. We'll see.

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

If people are picking songs like Better and There Was A Time over Nightrain and Paradise City, they aren't Guns N' Roses fans. Period.

"There Was A Time" is one of the greatest Guns songs of all time...

So what settles which tracks you compare with each other? The almost track listing when having removed a couple of CD songs? Now that doesn't sound like a very valid comparison.

There's a false notion everything on "Appetite" is untouchable and yet most tracks on "Chinese Democracy" are stronger (with "Jungle" and "Nightrain" etc hiding the mediocrity of "Easy", "Anything Goes" and so on). "Chinese Democracy" is overall a more consistent record; "Appetite" has big tunes in abundance, which you prefer is entirely your perogative and each position is legitimate...

Edited by NewGNRnOldGNR

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

Lawl. Guns fans are obliged to prefer those songs why? Guns N' Roses has evolved and people are entitled to embrace that (favouring a different direction over a prior line-up doesn't delegitimise claims to "fanship"). There's shitloads of stuff going on in the Guns discography (taste my be for "My World", "Jungle" or "If the World" - you've related to the band and that's that).

Edited by NewGNRnOldGNR

I'd compare CD to GNR's GH and say that CD is a more interesting record. AFD is for when you've drunk Joe six pack under the table 7 times and you need to crash your rented sports car through a mall store front. great fun but not necessarily artistic genius. both are good records.

This thread !! :rofl-lol:

Nothing can touch Appetite.. EVER !!

Its not musically.. Its the feel, the vibe, the animosity you feel crawlin' in your skin, the outburst of pure insanity until the drum kicks in, only to present a climax of total energy !!

No band has ever done that in quite the same way.. Some have done it differently, but no one will ever do it quite like GUNS N' ROSES DID IT !!!