Appetite >>> Chinese?

Guest NGOG

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a fun thread since we don't have much else to talk about.......I will preface my picks by saying this---

These are obviously albums from different moments in time---the vibe and atmosphere that Appetite represents is much different from Chinese Democracy. Both are amazing pieces of art.

MY Picks--

1. "Chinese Democracy" (< "Welcome to the Jungle")

2. "Shackler's Revenge" (< "It's so Easy")

3. "Better" (< "Nightrain")

4. "Street of Dreams" (<"Out Ta Get Me")

5. "If the World" (< "Mr. Brownstone")

6. "There Was A Time" (< "Paradise City")

7. "Catcher in the Rye" (< "My Michelle")

8. "Sorry" (> "Think About You")

9. "IRS" (< "Sweet Child O' Mine)

10. "Madagascar" (<"You're Crazy")

11. "This I Love" (> "Anything Goes")

12. "Prostitute" (< "Rocket Queen")

I'm baffled. What is WRONG with you people? I don't care if this one post gets me banned, let's get something straight. GNR post "Sympathy of the Devil" cover is NOT Guns N Roses. Axl Rose found a legal loophole to keep the name. Period. Want to know why THE OVERALL MAJORITY of people prefer the sound of the old band on Appetite compared to the sound of the "new band" on Chinese? Because the band that played on Appetite WAS A BAND. They had equal input. They had compromise. They could go to each other and say "hey man I'm not feeling that, let's try something else" and not be in fear of being put out onto the streets (with the exception of the final years which led to their downfall). They all played off each other. They were all steering the wheel of creative control. Look at Chinese. Regardless of how you feel about the new band on a personal level, do you actually believe they had that kind of input that Duff, Izzy, Slash, Steven, and hell to an even lesser extent Matt had in the glory days? It's just layers and layers of buried sound with a few impressive guitar parts. And a good chunk of the players who were on that aren't in the band anymore. Not that Chinese Democracy was an outright terrible album. They had 3 or 4 decent songs. But it flopped. And it flopped for some many other reasons other than "Axl didn't promote it". It had 14 fucking years of promotion. It didn't deliver. Because they weren't recording like a proper band. Even at the shows they play now. Songs off Appetite gets roarrrrsssss of applause and enthusiam, songs off Chinese get a few claps and crickets. Anybody who thinks different have just outright lost their marbles. End of story.

HAHA, u are amazing!

btw, what is this "loophole" u are refering 2?

The multiple pro-reunion, anti-"new" Guns forum dwellers often tell us "Appetite" is simply way beyond "Chinese Democracy". I've taken the best twelve songs from "Chinese" and determined which I prefer against the "Appetite" tracklist. My own findings have not suggested "Appetite" is immeasurably "better"...

1. "Chinese Democracy" (< "Welcome to the Jungle")

2. "Shackler's Revenge" (> "It's so Easy")

3. "Better" (< "Nightrain")

4. "Street of Dreams" (> "Out Ta Get Me")

5. "If the World" (= "Mr. Brownstone")

6. "There Was A Time" (> "Paradise City")

7. "Catcher in the Rye" (= "My Michelle")

8. "Sorry" (> "Think About You")

9. "IRS" (< "Sweet Child O' Mine)

10. "Madagascar" (> "You're Crazy")

11. "This I Love" (> "Anything Goes")

12. "Prostitute" (= "Rocket Queen")

6:3

Do yours?

Thank god this is just an opinion.

You have CITR = MM

You have ITW = Mr.Brownstone??????

You have Prostitute = Rocket Queen

and to be honest, you've compared songs to other songs when they shouldn't have even been compared. Better and Nightrain are two different styles that are unrelated.

Edited by iftheworld

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

Thank god this is just an opinion.

You have CITR = MM

You have ITW = Mr.Brownstone??????

You have Prostitute = Rocket Queen

and to be honest, you've compared songs to other songs when they shouldn't have even been compared. Better and Nightrain are two different styles that are unrelated.

I can't see how it could be anything other than opinion? The same applies to the masses or media outlets who'd unconditionally prefer "Appetite" - opinion, albeit on a pedestal, but opinion nonetheless.

I absolutely uphold my initial position ("My Michelle" is fun and great to rock out to *yawn* - "Prostitute" and "Rocket Queen".... two of the greatest Guns N' Roses songs ever... the former edges it for me)... purely in terms of "interestingness").

I will emphasise the purpose of the thread one more time - "Appetite" is by no means untouchable in the context of "Chinese Democracy" as illustrated by the reality some prefer certain tracks on "Chinese" - "Appetite" has great songs... but by no means is it as great an album as the illusions of some would suggest.

Edited by NewGNRnOldGNR