It Had to Happen: What's The Story.. vs. Blur's Self Titled

SunnyDRE

Better "Brit Pop" Album  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

OK it had to happen. Which of these "brit pop" albums are you taking?

Love them both, but for me...I think I'm going with Blur. Has a more punkish and rawer sound. Not to mention many of the songs are danceable. 'Glory gets it on it on production and is definitely the more polished record, but I'll go with scrappy sound of Blur.

Who you got?

Edited by SunnyDRE

What's The Story? was the soundtrack to a lot of my childhood, it's one of those albums that's ingrained in there as a kind of milestone of my life... I don't really remember Blur beyond Parklife and Country House as a child. As such the Oasis record's much more important to me, so it gets my vote.

Guest Len B'stard

Oasis, no fuckin question, un-contestably the best band of the last 17 years, bar none. Honestly, i couldn't tell you which one was the self titled one, i've heard the great escape, parklife, the one with Beetlebum on it and if its the one with Beetlebum on it, as much as i love it, it's sort of a backwards step for them...sort of. They were sort of interesting but it just came off really bad that album, wasn't it that Graham Coxon and Damon Albarn had a conflict in the sort of direction that Damon was into as opposed to Graham? You can really hear Graham shining on the Beetlebum album, just that riff to Beetlebum itself is fucking great. You could tell that Graham Coxon had spent the proper Britpop years in a sulk cuz he wasn't allowed to play the alternative grungey shit he was into and this album was his revenge :lol:

Morning Glory is just a fucking mammoth album though, anthemic, uplifting, funny and seriously cranked, i love it, it is and forever shall be fucking amazing, however much Noel wants to distance himself from it in his odd little way. Morning Glory is end to end a bona fide classic, to this day i can sing every single song off that album, every single one. Mind you i can do that on Definitely Maybe too :lol:

Although I despise Liam Gallagher, Morning Glory was an amazing album. I think Damon Alburn really came into his own even after Blur split up, what with Gorillaz etc. What I love about Alburn is that he doesn't fear trying new things. Liam Gallagher (and Noel for that matter) seem totally devoted to this 'real rock n roll' bullshit, and I'm not convinced by it. Ripping off the Kinks doesn't make for entertaining listening, but I don't think either of the Gallaghers will make anything as good as Morning Glory,

So yeah, Morning Glory.

should've been wtsmg vs. the great escape - with s/t, blur had broken out of the shadow of "parklife", "girls & boys", "country house" etc, and the former two came out around the same time after the silly chart battle and all that

however, the better britpop album? in this case it's without a doubt morning glory since blur (the album) is far removed from that particular 'scene'... and while "beetlebum" is better than anything oasis ever did, wtsmg (and oasis in general) have played a bigger role in my life. it's a record that simply cannot be denied (arguably only trumped in sheer magnitude and thunderous sound by be here now).

also, is there anyone who honestly likes "hey now!"?

Guest Len B'stard

should've been wtsmg vs. the great escape - with s/t, blur had broken out of the shadow of "parklife", "girls & boys", "country house" etc, and the former two came out around the same time after the silly chart battle and all that

however, the better britpop album? in this case it's without a doubt morning glory since blur (the album) is far removed from that particular 'scene'... and while "beetlebum" is better than anything oasis ever did, wtsmg (and oasis in general) have played a bigger role in my life. it's a record that simply cannot be denied (arguably only trumped in sheer magnitude and thunderous sound by be here now).

i love hey now, i think it's great. i think the music SOUNDS like what the lyrics seem to be on about, sorta heavy and slow and tired, i really like the pacing of it, slowing loudness makes it sound fantastic, i think that was the secret of Oasis, melodic three chords pop turned up SERIOUSLY loud, it just makes it sound fuckin blistering! But yeah, Hey Now is great, it really appears to be about something, regret or...the past or...i dunno, melencholic but loud, great fuckin combination.

well this was a blow out.

probably should have went with Parklife or maybe one of Pulp's albums

What did you expect? Oasis is an iconic band and Blur and Pulp just aren't. Try Be Here Now vs. Urban Hymns.

Edited by ITW 2012

What did you expect? Oasis is an iconic band and Blur and Pulp just aren't. Try Be Here Now vs. Urban Hymns.

Yeah, but Blur made better music.

Definitely Maybe is the only Oasis album I still bother with. Blur has so much more to offer.

urban hymns all the way

i love hey now, i think it's great. i think the music SOUNDS like what the lyrics seem to be on about, sorta heavy and slow and tired, i really like the pacing of it, slowing loudness makes it sound fantastic, i think that was the secret of Oasis, melodic three chords pop turned up SERIOUSLY loud, it just makes it sound fuckin blistering! But yeah, Hey Now is great, it really appears to be about something, regret or...the past or...i dunno, melencholic but loud, great fuckin combination.

I love the tired regretful sound of hey now too :)

always loved the lyrics:

The first thing I saw

As I walked through the door

Was a sign on the wall that read

It said you might never know

That I want you to know

What is written inside of your head

And time as it stands

Won't be held in my hands

Or living inside of my skin

And as it fell from the sky

I asked myself why

Can I never let anyone in?

I remember listening to this album 16 years ago, and at the age of 7 I finally understood the beauty and the power of music.

One of the greatest bands of all time.