I found this strange...

Mom

I have a friend.

I'd even say a damn good friend.

He owns exactly one GNR album, it was me who got him to respect Axl and co. for the most part.

He bought that album in 2009.

Now guess what the disc in question is? Chinese Democracy! Of Course!

He really likes it too, says "it's poppy/poppish but has xsoul.

Anyone else know of anyone like my good buddy? I find his road to GNR fandom both quite amusing and encouraging...

A friend of mine resisted Guns for YEARS over the old era, then I had tickets to a Guns show in 2002 left over and gave them to him and his wife. He was mind blown! He went out and bought the cds, and then bought CD day it came out. He is a fucking CD addict now, he loves the new stuff a little bit more than the old!!!

I had to make him come to the show, he didn't want to was not interested, glad I convinced him, they scored another fan :)

None of my friends listen to GnR, but if they do, they'll listen to SCOM or WTTJ. Paradise City would be stretching it.

pretty much the same here - my friends know i'm a gnr freak so they kinda tune out when i put on a track other than the hits (SCOM, WTTJ, PC)

None of my friends listen to GnR, but if they do, they'll listen to SCOM or WTTJ. Paradise City would be stretching it.

pretty much the same here - my friends know i'm a gnr freak so they kinda tune out when i put on a track other than the hits (SCOM, WTTJ, PC)

My friends are the same way... cuz they have no taste un music.

Two of my friends, who are Metallica-fans and know all the previous GNR stuff, said that ChD is a (very) good album

I bought my ChD copy on the day of the premiere, but then I won another one in the contest on some other GNR forum. I gave it as a present to one of those friends. He was very happy. I must ask him how often he listens to it.

BTW, I love these stories, about sb who started listening to GNR with ChD :)

Edited by DrDrei

I first listened to guns mid 2008, im 16 and only found out about them then. I love Pretty much every song theyve dont including ChiDem, and like this band like no other. I remember going down to buy ChiDem with another GnR fan, but id bought CoD: World at war like 2 weeks before so we put half and half to the album. I remember me liking it straight off the bat, and him hating it, and then 2 years down the road, he loves it.

My friends also have really bad taste and just like to listen to hip hop or dance music. I mean, they don't even think about rock. For them, Rock music is just for emos, goths and grunge people, y' know... like you jsut can't listen to rock music and be a normal person in terms of lifestyle. The other day on my way back home from college, I was giving a ride to 2 of my friends, and I was listening to GnR on my car, and they started aguing on how, according to them, nobody likes this type of music anymore, stating artists like Jay-Z, David Guetta and the Black Eyed Peas had more fans and were bigger artists then bands I like such as GnR, AC/DC, etc.. and I was arguing back saying stuff like "Back in Black is the second top selling album of all time, second to Thriller" or "AC/DC had one of the biggest world tours last years next to U2 and Bon Jovi" but it just wont fit into their heads. I mean, they only bought tickets to Elton John/Rihanna/Katy Perry day and Coldplay/Jay-Z day in Rock in Rio.

But I'm like your friend actually, I got into GnR starting from CD, I liked some songs suchs as SCOM, WTTJ and Paradise City but I didn't really listen to them that much, but after I bought a copy of CD, I really started loving them and got all their albums, now they're one of my top 4 favorite bands of all time.

I knew Guns since childhood and I really liked SCOM, Rocket Queen, Coma... but I really never got into that 80's hard rock identity they had. Since I am more of a 90's grunge/nu/alt/groove metal fan, it is easy for me to say that CD was the album that really got me into Gn'R.

I hadn't actually listened to GN'R for years neither heard that there was an album in the making for ages when I listened to ChiDem. I liked it. Some of the songs impressed me. Some not. It's the same with the old stuff.

The friends I have that have GN'R stuff on their iPod, that they legitimately like and listen to, would never even pick up Chinese Democracy. They don't and won't give it a chance, they think it is crap.

One listen to "There Was a Time" and that was all it took for me...wish a lot more GN'R fans could appreciate CD.