Settlements Reached In Lawsuits Between AXL ROSE And Former Manager

bumblecool

"..lawyers for Rose filed papers after a preliminary accord was reached stating that the final accord would involve "a comprehensive touring agreement in which GUNS N' ROSES would perform at various...venues."

Does this mean GN'R were prevented from tour the US ?

Even if GN'R do tour the US, they've still got to sell tickets. I guess theu still need a manager. If they were to tour the US because Azoff's say's *Yes* would Axl want to? - it would after all make even more money for Azoff :D

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Star I like your signature thing. Shows that GnR has NEVER been a band with one set line-up, even from the beginning days.

You should do the same line-up thing with Slash and show all the bands that he has been in and all their line-up changes. Amazing guitar player, but he sure has trouble keeping singers around.

Star I like your signature thing. Shows that GnR has NEVER been a band with one set line-up, even from the beginning days.

You should do the same line-up thing with Slash and show all the bands that he has been in and all their line-up changes. Amazing guitar player, but he sure has trouble keeping singers around.

The only real difference through the years is the percentage relating to cover band.

I don't know why Azoff would do that nor do I care, I was simply pointing out that there is a such thing as a court ordered tour and that in legal disputes involving money, cash isn't the only remedy.

The legal system didn't order a tour to compensate for the money supposedly lost in travel expense. Aerosmith proposed the idea with the Aerosmith fans (who put forward and perpetuated the case) accepting.

Aerosmith and the jilted fans presented the courts with an settlement that they both agreed upon. The courts ORDERED both parties to abide by those agreements or else.

You can be wrong sometimes NewGNR.

You're wrong all the time, doesn't trolling get boring?

Aerosmith and the jilted fans presented the courts with an settlement that they both agreed upon. The courts ORDERED both parties to abide by those agreements or else.

The point is though the court didn't order the tour (they'd have obligated Aerosmith to pay the expense money); Aerosmith made the proposal to which the fans accepted (all the legal system had to do was acknowledge this).

There's no point trying to explain this to sunny, he's as thick as shit.

Wow lots of legal experts here...

Haven't you noticed this forum is full of e-attorneys,e-management,e-producers,e-music critics,and varied cyber-self appointed experts of every variety and shape :rolleyes:

I totally take all of them seriously.

Azoff sued Axl for unpaid commissions. The case gets settled, by which Azoff will get those commissions in the form of upcoming shows. How is this a "total victory" for Axl in court?

Breaking it down even simpler, Azoff sued for money he's owed, and now will get the money he's owed.

Don't get me wrong, Axl and co. playing shows is a good thing, I just don't understand the thought process of some people.

I don't get how people see it as a "total victory" for Axl. Azoff is gonna make $ off of this tour, maybe not the whole 1.8 MIL he wanted, but he'll make a pretty penny. Axl sued Azoff for 5 MIL, but looks like he isn't getting any payday, other than what he'll earn for doing these shows. I guess Axl being able to tour the US now is the "victory". Azoff and the US fans are the winners in this, imo.

Guest NewGNRnOldGNR

Azoff is gonna make $ off of this tour, maybe not the whole 1.8 MIL he wanted, but he'll make a pretty penny.

There's no legitimate reason implying Azoff will gain a significant sum beyond the cash he'll get anyway as Live Nation top dog.

Azoff sued Axl for unpaid commissions. The case gets settled, by which Azoff will get those commissions in the form of upcoming shows. How is this a "total victory" for Axl in court?

Breaking it down even simpler, Azoff sued for money he's owed, and now will get the money he's owed.

Don't get me wrong, Axl and co. playing shows is a good thing, I just don't understand the thought process of some people.

I don't get how people see it as a "total victory" for Axl. Azoff is gonna make $ off of this tour, maybe not the whole 1.8 MIL he wanted, but he'll make a pretty penny. Axl sued Azoff for 5 MIL, but looks like he isn't getting any payday, other than what he'll earn for doing these shows. I guess Axl being able to tour the US now is the "victory". Azoff and the US fans are the winners in this, imo.

Guns wanted to tour the U.S. and the conflict with Azoff potentially impacted that. Thus GN'R win on that front.

Azoff wanted money for the South American shows that he didn't deserve. He's not getting it. Thus GN'R win on that front.

Azoff will get money off of the shows coming from this agreement, but then so will GN'R. That's a draw.

Two out of three ain't bad, and keep in mind I'm basing this just on what's rumored to be in the settlement. There could be lots of shit we don't know about, but to me, sounds like a good thing for the band.

Edited by kyrie

It always sounded like Azoff left all his clients to be handled by other people in his management company, and Axl had signed on because he thought Azoff was going to be available to him directly. He was also pissed off at how Chinese Democracy promotion was handled. When he found out he was passed on to someone else, he said fuck it and just didn't pay them.

Read what Sammy Hagar and Don Felder wrote about Azoff (and the book Hit Men), but Steely Dan and others have had great relationships with him over the years.

Azoff dealt with the mafia and managed to not be tied in to any of that when he was with MCA.

Azoff owns one of the biggest artist management companies in the world, and is running Ticketmaster. But right now his biggest concern is trying to get people back to seeing live shows. One of the things he's done is lower the nosebleeds and increase the premium seats, plus the I Love All Access package. Ticket prices were getting way out of control, but other than parking, it's gone back to being a somewhat affordable night out. He still gets his "service fees"... when GNR tour, pay attention to see how much their shows cost, and how much the fees are compared to other shows.

I was thinking about the 06 interview with Eddie Trunk where Axl mentioned the 2002 tour failed because, as Axl said he and the band felt forced to tour in 2002.

Do you think this 2012 tour (if it happens) could fail as a result of being Legally obligated to Tour due to the court hearing?

To me the argeement is that Azoff will promote and book a tour for GNR and will get the concert commissions for the tour he will book in the future.

This agreement seems to be like neither Axl or Azoff had a very strong case in respect to there suits against each other and insteed of spending the dollars in the court system for what was going to be basicly a wash and the only winners are the lawyers.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a little piece of info on this case that we didn't know about...

"Front Line was suing the aging rocker for breach of contract, stating in court docs that the company entered into an oral agreement with Rose in 2008 to be his personal manager."

Source

For the people saying Axl's lawsuit against Activision is weak due to it being an oral agreement, would you say an oral agreement is valid in this case?

"Front Line was suing the aging rocker for breach of contract, stating in court docs that the company entered into an oral agreement with Rose in 2008 to be his personal manager."

why does it say "personal" manager? as in Axl's only? not GNR's?

To me the argeement is that Azoff will promote and book a tour for GNR and will get the concert commissions for the tour he will book in the future.

This agreement seems to be like neither Axl or Azoff had a very strong case in respect to there suits against each other and insteed of spending the dollars in the court system for what was going to be basicly a wash and the only winners are the lawyers.

Yes, both lawsuits appear to be negotiating tactics, nothing more. The real fight was over the terms under which GnR would sign a deal to tour the U.S. Those terms haven't been released and we don't know what the two sides were originally asking for, so there's no way to know who (if anybody) won. All we know is that they worked out a touring deal, making the bogus lawsuits irrelevant.