Axl vs Activision

maximum

Just for shits and giggles, it would interesting to know how much money Activision paid Axl for the use of the songs.

And also, on a slightly different topic, but one which I think would help this and future discussions; does anyone know what the final resolustion of the Axl v. Slash/Duff Lawsuits where?

yeah, we all know Axl owns the name and the brand, and Slash and Duff are entitled to royalties and such, but I'd like to know about the "little details"?

Like how much say does each have when comes to licensing? What songs are the former band members actually getting paid royalties for? Only songs? Merchandising? Only Merchandising with the "old logo"?

And the biggie.

Did the former members recieve any kinda of compensation from the sale of Chinese Democracy?

Edited by SunnyDRE

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a big waste of time to sue a video game company because they included Slash as a playable character in their GUITAR game where you could battle out to Jungle. Bottom line - who cares?

It's not your time that is being wasted... so why do you care?

When someone undertakes a business agreement and a contract is made, and one of the parties breaks that contract, there are consequences. Your opinion (and others on here) that Slash earned his right to be associated with the song is moot, ridiculous and childish. This is a legal matter, it has nothing to do with any of that nonsense. Axl Rose controls the licensing rights to Guns N Roses songs. He chose to license it to a computer game under certain conditions. These conditions were agreed to by Actvision, then knowingly broken and disregarded - that's all there is to it.

I don't care, thus "Who cares?" - I merely think Axl is wasting his time. It's just my thought, which doesn't mean it bothers me. Axl can do whatever he wants. You replying to that part of my post in particular brings up the same question.

If you had quoted my entire post, you'd notice that I never said Slash earned his right to be associated with the song. I said whether Axl likes it or not, Slash will always be associated with it. In an unusual way, it almost defends Axl's "cancer" comment. I hate to bring that up again but he was kind of right. Bad choice of words but Slash is something that will always be attached to the name Guns N' Roses. I wasn't referring to the legal side of things, moreorless just about Axl's pure hatred for the fact that Slash can be used to play the song.

I don't take law and have not read the original contract (as I admitted in my post) so I can't make a fair comment/judgment on what the extent of the lawsuit is. However, it just seems random now considering the game is already a few years old. Why not take action right away if it breached the contract like that? Granted, I know it takes a long time to get this stuff going and Axl did mention it a while back.

Regardless, Slash being a playable character in the game while playing this song doesn't affect Axl's current Guns N' Roses line-up. Hell, it might even bring more people to the shows if it makes them think Slash is still around. ;)

However, I can understand Axl not wanting it to promote Slash and his current affairs - that's fair. Slash is still associated with the song either way, even if he wasn't in the game.

Sorry if I sound like I dick. I just wanted to clarify my original thoughts - I was just trying to keep this thing on topic after replying to Sunny's comment. I don't know fuck all about law. :lol:

Win or lose, he doesn't give a shit, it's the principal of the matter.

how could winning not possibly matter? Principal is not going to pay those lawyer fees and recoup the time wasted by the courts...

Axl's life will not change if he loses.....however activision and $la$h will be exposed as the frauds that they are win or loose.

By the way I dont think Ax needs to waste time in court....thats why he has lawyers.

A$x$l$ LOL! I really only wanted to show you what your level actually looks like to other people.

I applaud your effort.

At least you took the time to explain your arguements, unlike so many here, and to those who posted above me, SUCK A DICK......Geezuz!!

Only Axl Rose could single-handedly, turn his fanbase against each other. **shakes head in disgust**

That is a weird statement then the same can be said for the other band members of Guns past no? Only Axl? nice try...

The only people who hysterically defend their idol and sling mud are the obsessive Axl fans... they even try to make it seem like there's GNR fans who HATE Axl Rose, like theres this two sided war between SLASH FANS and AXL FANS, but really its just other GNR fans responding to their stupidity.

Nobody really hates Axl, a lot of GNR fans just think he's an idiot

That is the biggest pile of BS ever said in this forum. Plenty of people like you, Sunny, BBA, and quite a few others make your seething hate of Axl pretty clear in nearly every post you guys make in this section.

BBA is the only one that really stands out.

Plenty of people have just become disenfranchised with his antics. When you look at things objectively, that's not really an unlikely conclusion. He used a little spurt of activity to make a quick jab at a moderator, defend himself, answer some inane bullshit questions in a midnight chat, and make a bunch of empty promises.

I don't see anything wrong in what he did as far as Madison. She had for a while been defending false rumors which she felt were good to propagate, while making sure to close any thread which had a rumor she didn't want propagated.

As far as the ''inane bullshit questions'', he spent a couple of days at every forum answering fans questions with regard to the breakup, CD, and the next material. I don't see any of those things are bullshit or inane given they are what the fans wanted to know. The guy wrote a whole essay about the break up from his POV because fans asked him a lot of questions about it and wanted to know his side.

As far as empty promises...Which empty promises? And I don't see how someone could hate/dislike a musician over thieir promises anyway. That's stupid. They're not your friends or family; You don't depend on them for anything. As Axl himself said, live your life. I don't get hating a musician because it wasn't March 6th 2007. Doesn't really seem that rewarding to build up intense hate for a musician.

I applaud your effort.

At least you took the time to explain your arguements, unlike so many here, and to those who posted above me, SUCK A DICK......Geezuz!!

Only Axl Rose could single-handedly, turn his fanbase against each other. **shakes head in disgust**

That is a weird statement then the same can be said for the other band members of Guns past no? Only Axl? nice try...

The only people who hysterically defend their idol and sling mud are the obsessive Axl fans... they even try to make it seem like there's GNR fans who HATE Axl Rose, like theres this two sided war between SLASH FANS and AXL FANS, but really its just other GNR fans responding to their stupidity.

That is the biggest pile of BS ever said in this forum. Plenty of people like you, Sunny, BBA, and quite a few others make your seething hate of Axl pretty clear in nearly every post you guys make in this section.

thats the last time I repeat it for you, if you really can't figure out why so many Guns N' Roses fans think Axl is a moron you probably never will. Don't tell me I hate Axl Rose because I acknowledge his flaws, its not like he pisses me off more than Slash collaborating with Fergie and that douche from Maroon 5

Did the former members recieve any kinda of compensation from the sale of Chinese Democracy?

I have always wondered that. I have no basis for this but I have always thought that might have been one of the legal issues that held the album up, Axl was trying to make sure former members had no claim to any new material.

Unless Axl was smart enough to have his demands/requirements written into the contract he signed with Activision, he doesn't stand a chance. If he was naive enough to take somebody's word, well then that's just fucking stupid on Axl's part. He's been in this business for over 20 years now, he's gotta know that most people's word doesn't mean shit in business, it's all about the bottom line....

Something doesn't necessarily have to be written down for it to be contractually binding.

I haven't read the complaint, but if it's anything like the one against Azoff, it will (if nothing else) be a highly entertaining read.

In a way (as much as I love Slash), I really did think that the whole Guitar "Hero" thing went a bit too far. Even though I kinda guiltily enjoyed playing it and seeing Slash on the screen, a part of me kinda thought "...really?" If that's how a fan thinks, then I guess a band member who has a particular idea of a band (one that he's still in) and what he wants it to represent would feel a lot more strongly about it. We trivialise it, but this is Axl's band, his identity. Maybe he doesn't want it to be assosciated with a kinda cheesy animated video game "boss". I do see how he could feel it would detract from their image.

Even if he loses, I get where Axl is coming from with this.

So Do I, it isn't hard to see where Activision crossed the line and brought this upon themselves.

I applaud your effort.

True Statement, and I honestly don't see why they linger around since they expose their obvious hatred in nearly every post I've read,imo it's a total waste of time and cyberspace.

Axl is SOOOO full of shit. when he feels like he's lost something, he sues! He sued geffen to stop the release of Greatest Hits,

He sues Former band members, he sued his manager Azoff, Now he sues Activsion. I'm sick of his stupidity. Thinking Axl

will stop sueing people everythime he "thinks" he's been wronged is like thinking Steven will stop doing drugs every time he gets wasted. It just isn't going to happen. so why waste our time?

Hey numbnuts, Axl, $la$h AND Duff sued for the GH album. it is a peice of shit compiled by a fag in a suit.

I applaud your effort.

thats the last time I repeat it for you, if you really can't figure out why so many Guns N' Roses fans think Axl is a moron you probably never will. Don't tell me I hate Axl Rose because I acknowledge his flaws, its not like he pisses me off more than Slash collaborating with Fergie and that douche from Maroon 5

+1.............I don't hate Axl, as I don't know the man personally, but I do think he is an asshole at times...........

Axl is SOOOO full of shit. when he feels like he's lost something, he sues! He sued geffen to stop the release of Greatest Hits,

He sues Former band members, he sued his manager Azoff, Now he sues Activsion. I'm sick of his stupidity. Thinking Axl

will stop sueing people everythime he "thinks" he's been wronged is like thinking Steven will stop doing drugs every time he gets wasted. It just isn't going to happen. so why waste our time?

Hey numbnuts, Axl, $la$h AND Duff sued for the GH album. it is a peice of shit compiled by a fag in a suit.

What would you change on it? Just curious because by definition a "Greatest Hits" compilation has to have the band's greatest hits. And that release certainly did.

Yep he certainly has an asshole side. I think it's a side effect of having a creative mind like he has. Or those things are at least somehow connected together in his case.

I think some of it must just be a necessity to build up a tough exterior. Can you imagine what it must be like to be Axl? To have negative things said about you everywhere you turn, even from people you were once close to? And not just friends talking behind your back, but everyone and on tv, tabloids, internet, everywhere. And many say 'well, if he just put out more music' or 'if he just played with Slash again' or 'if he just stopped suing people'. I don't perform as everyone expects all the time in my job, and people don't get as horribly mean to me about that as they do in the media and forums and comments about Axl. And I have read enough from people that say a lot of what we read is just crap, but people use it all as their excuse for just burying the guy. I just can't imagine what it must be like. That he even comes out of his house is amazing to me.

Edited by Orsys

I think some of it must just be a necessity to build up a tough exterior. Can you imagine what it must be like to be Axl? To have negative things said about you everywhere you turn, even from people you were once close to? And not just friends talking behind your back, but everyone and on tv, tabloids, internet, everywhere. And many say 'well, if he just put out more music' or 'if he just played with Slash again' or 'if he just stopped suing people'. I don't perform as everyone expects all the time in my job, and people don't get as horribly mean to me about that as they do in the media and forums and comments about Axl. And I have read enough from people that say a lot of what we read is just crap, but people use it all as their excuse for just burying the guy. I just can't imagine what it must be like. That he even comes out of his house is amazing to me.

That's why he puts out songs like Sorry. Don't worry, Axl don't want a pity party from his fans, but he also don't wanna do what they ask of him.

What would you change on it? Just curious because by definition a "Greatest Hits" compilation has to have the band's greatest hits. And that release certainly did.

where is nightrain? and since i dont have you and aint it fun should not be on that album.

"Despite some criticisms towards the track listing by fans, and by Axl Rose and ex-Guns N' Roses members, who filed a joint lawsuit to try to prevent the release of the album"

From wiki

Edited by volcano62

Yep he certainly has an asshole side. I think it's a side effect of having a creative mind like he has. Or those things are at least somehow connected together in his case.

And why do people treat him so badly? could it be he treats people badly? maybe it is a case of "you reap what you sow"?.......just a thought...........

where is nightrain? and since i dont have you and aint it fun should not be on that album.

Since I Don't Have You was a bigger hit than Nightrain though

And why do people treat him so badly? could it be he treats people badly? maybe it is a case of "you reap what you sow"?.......just a thought...........

Oh come on, he hasn't done anything to the great majority of people on the internet, or even on this forum, yet you read some of the awful names people call him and the things that people say about him, thousands of people and it's all the time and it doesn't stop. If it were you, how do you think it would begin to affect you? I don't think I have a strong enough constitution that I could handle the whole world attacking me, a lot of it unjustified, and neverending. And most of it none of their business. Like I said, I can't imagine what it must be like.

Rose is claiming that Guitar Hero III would "confuse" the public as to what is and what isn't Guns N' Roses while at the same time he is attempting to intentionally mislead potential judges and jurors as to what of "Guns N' Roses" he actually controls. Since the spirit of this lawsuit is based on concealing and misrepresentation, paragraph 11 should absolutely be used against him by Activision.

That is so funny. This could turn out.. hahaha..

This topic is bullshit. You don't understand jackshit to what's legal and what's not.

You think that the image of Slash on the GHIII cover is comparable to DJ Ashba in GNR? You think DJ Ashba looks as much as Slash on the image of the GHIII cover? Does Mr. Ashba have a nose piercing, does he have long curly hair? Oh and most important, is DJ Ashba half a black man? NO. So your point is invalid, and hence as is the rest of your poor demonstration.

Good day.

Edited by D..

Oh come on, he hasn't done anything to the great majority of people on the internet, or even on this forum, yet you read some of the awful names people call him and the things that people say about him, thousands of people and it's all the time and it doesn't stop. If it were you, how do you think it would begin to affect you? I don't think I have a strong enough constitution that I could handle the whole world attacking me, a lot of it unjustified, and neverending. And most of it none of their business. Like I said, I can't imagine what it must be like.

I understand why the fans talk badly about Axl, feeling he broke up the old band, keeping the name when he is the only original member etc... Not saying it is justified in every case but I understand the reasoning...Not that I agree with some of the nasty stuff fans here say about him but there will always be some who get carried away just like the Slash haters on these forums.....

But if you are being honest even you have to admit Axl threw a lot of people under the bus to get to where he is today, former band members, former managers, and especially the press. He treated the press like shit for years and as a result they write negative things about him. Are they all justified? no of course not, but when you treat people badly you can't expect them to say positive things about you....just human nature.......

I am not trying to make this an Axl vs. Slash thing but why is it that you don't see people and the press trashing Slash like they do Axl? Do you and others really believe Slash is so smart he manipulates the press and has them all fooled? Could it be that he is respectful towards them, is genuinely a nice person who takes the time to answer all their dumb and repetitive questions while Axl will not give them the time of day and is afraid they might ask him tough questions? Why is it Axl is always being sued or sueing someone? I am sure Slash has had some lawsuits but not the the extent that Axl has...............Axl truly seems, from all apearances, to be a difficult person to get along with unless he can control you and you are his employee...........like I said, fair or not, you reap what you sow...and Axl has pissed off a lot of people...

Edited by classicrawker

I understand why the fans talk badly about Axl, feeling he broke up the old band, keeping the name when he is the only original member etc... Not saying it is justified in every case but I understand the reasoning...Not that I agree with some of the nasty stuff fans here say about him but there will always be some who get carried away just like the Slash haters on these forums.....

But if you are being honest even you have to admit Axl threw a lot of people under the bus to get to where he is today, former band members, former managers, and especially the press. He treated the press like shit for years and as a result they write negative things about him. Are they all justified? no of course not, but when you treat people badly you can't expect them to say positive things about you....just human nature.......

I am not trying to make this an Axl vs. Slash thing but why is it that you don't see people and the press trashing Slash like they do Axl? Do you and others really believe Slash is so smart he manipulates the press and has them all fooled? Could it be that he is respectful towards them, is genuinely a nice person who takes the time to answer all their dumb and repetitive questions while Axl will not give them the time of day and is afraid they might ask him tough questions? Why is it Axl is always being sued or sueing someone? I am sure Slash has had some lawsuits but not the the extent that Axl has...............Axl truly seems, from all apearances, to be a difficult person to get along with unless he can control you and you are his employee...........like I said, fair or not, you reap what you sow...and Axl has pissed off a lot of people...

So let's say Axl threw ten people under the bus to get where he is today. So then those ten people may be justified in responding in some negative way. But that's not really what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the thousands that have nothing to do with anything that really affects their lives, yet how they speak about Axl is more aligned with someone who killed their puppy or broke up their marriage. It's out of balance. And if I am on the receiving end of it coming at me from all angles, that's the part that would seem so difficult to live with. If Slash calls me an asshole because of things that had happened in our relationship, well, I might just have to suck that up and it's between us. But for the same thing that happened, a thousand other people feel they can call me an asshole - it's not really fair. And I think Slash would even agree with that. I completely get why Axl doesn't talk to anyone. I don't think I would want to either. I mean, the wave of hate towards Axl on the internet is astounding sometimes.

It's not just Axl. But he is the focus on this forum. It's anyone who is so reviled by so many people who really have nothing to do with him/her. Oh well, I guess that's way off topic.

Edited by Orsys

So let's say Axl threw ten people under the bus to get where he is today. So then those ten people may be justified in responding in some negative way. But that's not really what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the thousands that have nothing to do with anything that really affects their lives, yet how they speak about Axl is more aligned with someone who killed their puppy or broke up their marriage. It's out of balance. And if I am on the receiving end of it coming at me from all angles, that's the part that would seem so difficult to live with. If Slash calls me an asshole because of things that had happened in our relationship, well, I might just have to suck that up and it's between us. But for the same thing that happened, a thousand other people feel they can call me an asshole - it's not really fair. And I think Slash would even agree with that. I completely get why Axl doesn't talk to anyone. I don't think I would want to either. I mean, the wave of hate towards Axl on the internet is astounding sometimes.

It's not just Axl. But he is the focus on this forum. It's anyone who is so reviled by so many people who really have nothing to do with him/her. Take Sarah Palin (no, not a fan one bit). She takes crap from every single angle in every form of media there is. Oh well, I guess that's way off topic.

He is the focus because he is all that is left of real GnR and is still using the name but I can't disagree with you on the fan negativity Orsys but that is the passion of fans I guess, justified or not........ :shrugs: ....but I also think Axl is way too concerned with what the fans on these forums say about him...If the rumour is true that he spends up to 4 hours at a time reading all the fan forums it sounds a little obsessive Yes?............ if I was Axl I would be more worried if fans stopped talking about him at least he still brings out the passion.........

Edited by classicrawker

He is the focus because he is all that is left of real GnR and is still using the name but I can't disagree with you on the fan negativity Orsys but that is the passion of fans I guess, justified or not........ :shrugs: ....but I also think Axl is way too concerned with what the fans on these forums say about him...If the rumour is true that he spends up to 4 hours at a time reading all the fan forums it sounds a little obsessive Yes?............ if I was Axl I would be more worried if fans stopped talking about him at least he still brings out the passion.........

I don't know. I know what you're saying, but if this forum were about me and a lot of what was being said was about me, and a lot of it is not only negative but vicious, I'm not sure I could not read it. I could read the good stuff too of course. But a sensitive person would be more impacted by the negative. And it would be daily, year after year, from other sources too.

I didn't really want to take this as a whole theme. Someone had posted a link to some Yahoo story about the suit and the comments were really awful and I tried to see what it might be like to be on that receiving end.

Edited by Orsys