Mistakes in studio recorded songs

duff_rose

The timing at 05:35 bothers me every time i listen to it:

This, along with the above, is one of the best songs ever recorded, but the solo at 01:25 sounds so random it hurts. As if he is constantly trying to hit the right notes, but fails:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGXeXm0uMDo&feature

It's hard to tell if these are actually mistakes or not, but they bother me every time I listen to them... Have you found similar mistakes in other songs? :)

What do you want - they were working with razor blades and tape back then. There's a lot more incriminating stuff on the Led Zep BBC sessions and any "live album". Jimmy Page and Bruce Botnick aren't going to change it, any more than George Lucas editing "Carrie" out of "Star Wars".

That Stairway bit was more a mistake in the editing room.

There's plenty of wtf moments in the studio though, the cough at the start of Whole Lotta Love, the false start on Friends, the ending of In My Time Of Dying, the airplane on Black Country Woman, the list goes on and on...

There's no good YouTube version of this song, but on "Ballad of a Thin Man" on Highway 61 revisited, Dylan laughs during the first verse. On the line "You try so hard but you understand" you can hear him laugh as he says the word "try." Have no idea why they kept that take. It's kind of a cool creepy song and that part takes away from it a bit

Guest Len B'stard

There's no good YouTube version of this song, but on "Ballad of a Thin Man" on Highway 61 revisited, Dylan laughs during the first verse. On the line "You try so hard but you understand" you can hear him laugh as he says the word "try." Have no idea why they kept that take. It's kind of a cool creepy song and that part takes away from it a bit

I think thats on purpose, he does that in all i really wanna do too but to different effect. I think in Ballad of a Thin Man its meant to sound cruel and nasty, like the song is, its basically an attack on "Mr Jones", calling him a loser. Thats how i took it anyway.

There is the famous Whole Lotta Love background vocal echo when Plant sings "waaayyyyy doooowwwwnnn innnsiiiiiiddddeeeeeee" the past vocal take bled through the tape can be faintly heard but the band liked it so they kept it in

There is the famous Whole Lotta Love background vocal echo when Plant sings "waaayyyyy doooowwwwnnn innnsiiiiiiddddeeeeeee" the past vocal take bled through the tape can be faintly heard but the band liked it so they kept it in

There are quite a bit of screw ups on led zeppelin records with Jimmy's playing. Some people don't notice it because they don't play guitar. I guess it is more just sloppy than a mess up. There was one really big mess up on Use Your Illusion 2. It is called My World. The delay/echo at the beginning of Jungle with Slash's guitar wasn't intentional. But it sounds cool. Everyone probably already knows that, though.......

I think thats on purpose, he does that in all i really wanna do too but to different effect. I think in Ballad of a Thin Man its meant to sound cruel and nasty, like the song is, its basically an attack on "Mr Jones", calling him a loser. Thats how i took it anyway.

Wouldnt surprise me, it is Dylan.

Wouldnt surprise me, it is Dylan.

Yeah, even if it isn't on purpose it does add to the song. Like the part in Maxwell's Silver Hammer when Paul McCartney laughs.

-In Micheal Jackson's "Beat It" before Eddie Van Halen's guitar solo you can hear the janitor knocking on the door

-In Everybody Wants Some by Van Halen, David Lee Roth flubs a line that comes out as gibberish but they thought it sounded cool so they kept it in. The lyric was supposed to be “I’ve seen a lot of people just looking for a moonbeam.” Bu at 1:58, Dave sang something that sound like “Yah take a moople ah, wookie pah ah moopie.”

-In Hey Jude, you can hear John Lennon very faintly go "fucking hell" during the song because he put his earphones on while doing overdubs for the song and the volume was turned up really high.

-In Roxane by The Police in the begging you can hear a piano playing random notes that don't fit the song and then Sting laughing. Apparently Sting accidentally bumped up against the piano and they just kept it in

-In Out On The Tiles by Led Zeppelin around 1:29 you can hear a sound guy go "Stop!". And the drum going into the second line of the first verse is a mistake, although it stays in time and fits with the song so they just kept it

-Another Zeppelin song Since I Don't Have You features a squeaky bass pedal so whenever Bonham hits the bass pedal you can hear the squeak. It ruined the studio version for me :(

-During Gimme Shelter by The Stones the female vocalists voice cracks during her vocal feature in the middle of the song around 3:00 in and you can hear Mick Jagger go "woo!"

-Unchained by Van Halen has that infamous song guy going "Come on Dave, give me a break" after hearing David Lee Roth saying outrageous things during the break after the guitar solo. Dave responds by going "One break, coming up!" and then the chorus starts up again. Many people think this is scripted but it really happened, they just thought it sounded cool so they left it in

-In "I Can't Get No Satisfaction" you can hear Keith step on his guitar pedal to get the fuzz tone for the chorus of the song. It is a clicking sound, I didn't even notice it until it was pointed out to me

Edited by WhazUp

How about one a bit closer to home. I still laugh to this day at how they didn't fix Slash's mis-fingered muffled G note, at the 5 second mark, in the guitar intro. I mean it's a solo intro, didn't they notice!? (And yes aficionados I know it's really an f# as they tune down a 1/2 step, but third fret, you get the idea)

Edited by axlskAmpf

-In Micheal Jackson's "Beat It" before Eddie Van Halen's guitar solo you can hear the janitor knocking on the door

Is that really what that knocking noise is? :lol:

Occasionally on Iron Maiden songs, Nicko will shout something (Usually at the end), and the band decide to keep it in on the album. The most obvious is his "Oi!" at the beginning of Different World. Also at the end of The Thin Line Between Love And Hate you can hear him say "Aww...I fucking missed it!", and at the end of Still Life he says "Yeah, that was fucking great!". Not so much mistakes as they are ad-libbing, but they're present nonetheless.

Of course, there's many a song ending that got fucked up, and the artists try to play it off that they fucked it up on purpose.

There's a part on Slash's solo on SCOM that for some reason bothers me, I don't know if it's a mistake or not,

but it just don't sound right to me. Checkout the 4:13- 4:14 mark of the song.....

It's not a 'mistake', as in a wrong note as it's in the correct scale. Not to get too technical, but it's just a cool, harsh sound achieved by opening the wah pedal when hitting 2 notes.

There's a part on Slash's solo on SCOM that for some reason bothers me, I don't know if it's a mistake or not,

but it just don't sound right to me. Checkout the 4:13- 4:14 mark of the song.....

It's not a 'mistake', as in a wrong note as it's in the correct scale. Not to get too technical, but it's just a cool, harsh sound achieved by opening the wah pedal when hitting 2 notes.

Well, that's cool that you like it, I just think it sounds a little off key. But hey, who am I to complain about a small second

in a classic rock song that is still played countless times on the radio........