Nirvana Celebrates 20th Anniversary of 'Nevermind' With Deluxe Reissue

SunnyDRE

Nirvana's 1991 album Nevermind – the epoch-defining record that Rolling Stone has declared the Number One album of the Nineties and the 17th greatest album of all time – will be reissued on September 20th as a deluxe 5-disc edition. The expanded set celebrates the 20th anniversary of the record's original release with an extensive collection of previously unheard recordings, rarities, b-sides, radio sessions, live performances and an unreleased concert presented in its entirety on DVD.

Entire Article Here

seriously looking forward to this.

Guest Len B'stard

there are few bands from whom i can tolerate the "every stick of tape recorded during the sessions for *insert album name here*" releases. Nirvana are one of em. The Beatles are another. As are The Stooges. As are The Sex Pistols.

Nirvana wasn't around for long but there were a lot of outtakes, b-sides, in store appearances, and live concerts in the few years they were together. I thought Krist and Dave put everything they felt worth releasing in the box set but I guess there was still more.

Off the top of my head, there's a radio concert from the Del Mar 1991 concert that 91X played every now and then, but "Live! Tonight! Sold Out!" had a lot of "Nevermind' era footage. They've never released the videos from that album on DVD, so I'm pretty sure they're finally putting that out. Spin mentioned 4 BBC appearances that are going to be included.

Dave Grohl said that there's plans for something special to happen involving Nirvana, and Krist is prob. going to join them on stage. He's on the Foos new CD, so maybe they'll just do Nevermind live with Taylor and Dave singing. Expect a Courtney Twitter rant to follow.

U2's also rolling out an Achtung Baby/Zooropa deluxe set, including never seen footage of the recording sessions. That in itself is going to be worth getting because the sessions almost led to a breakup, and prob. has footage of Germany right after the Berlin wall came down.

Prince has mentioned doing a deluxe reissue of "Sign O' the Times" to be released next year for the 25th.

Guest Len B'stard
Dave Grohl said that there's plans for something special to happen involving Nirvana, and Krist is prob. going to join them on stage. He's on the Foos new CD, so maybe they'll just do Nevermind live with Taylor and Dave singing.

i really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really hope not...really.

Don't words look weird when you see em written out 12,000 times?

U2's also rolling out an Achtung Baby/Zooropa deluxe set, including never seen footage of the recording sessions. That in itself is going to be worth getting because the sessions almost led to a breakup, and prob. has footage of Germany right after the Berlin wall came down.

thats not true.

Prince has mentioned doing a deluxe reissue of "Sign O' the Times" to be released next year for the 25th.

And how is this relevant information?

And how is this relevant information?

Other deluxe reissues coming out that are going to be just as big (at least 4 or 5 discs), and forgot the big Pink Floyd one. They're all putting elaborate box sets out because it's the only way to get fans to buy physical product. Nick Mason said after PF puts their box sets out, they're pretty much done with hands on reissues. I'm pretty sure Dave, Krist (and Courtney) have little left in the vaults, but it's likely they'll put something like this out for "In Utero". "Bleach" could've been an awesome reissue.

nirvana, awesome band, maybe the best of the last 30 years

No way, many bands from the 80s topped them.

not actually challenging you, as i normally agree with 90% of what you post, but i'm curious...who do you think tops them? like i tried to think of bands and albums since i've been alive (1979) and care about music (87) and i could only come up with a few (MJ, U2,Minuteman,Joy Division,SDRE,Madonna,REM, Prince, 2pac) and its always an arguement in my head....

not actually challenging you, as i normally agree with 90% of what you post, but i'm curious...who do you think tops them? like i tried to think of bands and albums since i've been alive (1979) and care about music (87) and i could only come up with a few (MJ, U2,Minuteman,Joy Division,SDRE,Madonna,REM, Prince, 2pac) and its always an arguement in my head....

Eh, Guns N' Roses might be a good place to start.

1991 and 1992 was a huge change in music and what people listened to. A lot of bands that had success in the 80s were also from the late 70s - The Police, Talking Heads. Rush broke through to a larger crowd with Moving Pictures. Van Halen went from big to huge because of MTV, and it's probably because of the live footage they shot to promote Fair Warning that saved that album from being a flop. Just go through who played Live Aid and US Festival, that's pretty much the 80s in a nutshell. Beastie Boys were pretty huge at the time, and were able to transition comfortably into modern rock.

Nirvana embodied the change in what was considered rock at the time. It could've been any number of bands that would've been from the indie rock world, REM were from that world, same with U2, but they were more focused on ambiance. B-52 crossing over into commerical radio was a sign that things were changing though. Sugarcubes with Bjork got some attention,and her career took off in the 90s after she left them. You also had Natalie Merchant w/ 10,000 Maniacs, Spin Doctors, etc. And as soon as people thought metal was getting soft, Pantera comes out with Cowboys From Hell in '90, and Anthrax had maintained a pretty big fanbase through the 80s and 90s. Megadeth slowly grew in popularity even though Metallica were still the big dogs.

This is also big news for Nirvana and SY fans... no release date though.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2011/04/sonic-youths-1991-the-year-punk-broke-hits-dvd-this-fall/

• 2 months later...

How do the Devonshire Mixes sound ?

Is this box set worth the buy ?

Herald Sun review : http://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/music/album-review-nevermind-deluxe-by-nirvana/story-fn7oonq8-1226143669277

On the whiz-bang edition the Devonshire Mixes features the entire Nevermind album as produced and mixed by Butch Vig before their record company got their mitts on it and roped in Andy Wallace to mix it.

Wallace's mix is the version in 30 million homes. Cashed-up trainspotters can rejoice in removing the sonic Botox off a classic album.

It takes a few listens to get used to hearing songs you know so well slightly differently -Territorial Pissings without Krist Novoselic's sung intro from Get Together, On a Plain without the backing vocals pushed to the front of the mix or the way Vig's Lithium is a little messier than Wallace's version.

Edited by axlfan88

It comes out this week. I'm sure the share sites will have it up before the end of the week.

I noticed it's kind of a pain in the ass to order the CD, but the mom and pop indie stores and Best Buy are carrying it. The regular Nirvana site isn't even selling the 4CD/1DVD on their page, they have a special Nevermind20, so you're better off hitting up the indie store and getting it. The official site wants you to link your Facebook account, but here's an "unboxing" video.

The way it looks, if it's one of your favorite albums, it's worth the buy, if you already have "With The Lights Out", "Classic Albums", and "Live Tonight Sold Out". I don't see Krist and Dave putting more anniversary versions out like this, they seem to want to protect what little there is. If they deluxe "In Utero" and "Bleach", that's pretty much it. They held off putting the videos on DVD until this box set.