GUNS N’ ROSES GUITARIST DJ ASHBA TALKS ABOUT WORKING WITH AXL ROSE, RECORDING WITH NIKKI SIXX AND NEVER SLEEPING

Guest NGOG

What are your favorite songs from ‘Chinese Democracy,’ and which are the most fun to play live?

Probably ‘This I Love’ is one that really hooked me, because it’s just a great song, lyrically and musically; it goes through a rollercoaster of emotions. It’s very heartfelt, you can tell. I love playing that

I feel exactly the same way about TIL

thanks for posting, good read (3 albums worth , hmm.. thats like the 5th time thats been confirmed :) )

Three albums worth and still no album in sight... Statements like "I think the ultimate goal is to sit down and go through everything" aren't promising either. What the hell does Axl do all day?

that is a fair question.. my guess is.... for anyone who has ever been unemployed on employment insurance benefits you might be able to relate..... when you have all the cash you need and there are no deadlines its a case of "i'll get around to it".... Based on Axl's musicial output I would say he just does what he wants when he wants and might in fact just be a bit lazy... seriously what does he do all day?

I think DJ Ashbar has superseded blabbermouth Bumblefoot as the no.1 GN'R blabbermouth member. Isn't that a sure way to get fired?

Drummer Brain turned into a blabbermouth the moment he was out of GN'R (although we still thought he was in (some still arn't sure)).

thanks for posting, good read (3 albums worth , hmm.. thats like the 5th time thats been confirmed :) )

Three albums worth and still no album in sight... Statements like "I think the ultimate goal is to sit down and go through everything" aren't promising either. What the hell does Axl do all day?

that is a fair question.. my guess is.... for anyone who has ever been unemployed on employment insurance benefits you might be able to relate..... when you have all the cash you need and there are no deadlines its a case of "i'll get around to it".... Based on Axl's musicial output I would say he just does what he wants when he wants and might in fact just be a bit lazy... seriously what does he do all day?

It's not like he punches a clock or is a salaried employee. What I mean is that for a musician, especially of his level of success and caliber, there are no hard and fast rules about how much he needs to or should work. Like it or not, that's the truth. I think it's difficult to relate to and easy to lose sight of that fact when you are accustomed to working a more fixed and regimented schedule, like most working people.

Ali

It's not like he punches a clock or is a salaried employee. What I mean is that for a musician, especially of his level of success and caliber, there are no hard and fast rules about how much he needs to or should work. Like it or not, that's the truth. I think it's difficult to relate to and easy to lose sight of that fact when you are accustomed to working a more fixed and regimented schedule, like most working people.

Ali

Not at all really. Of course every individual artist is somewhat different, but almost all force themselves to be more productive when there is a reasonable deadline of some sort. An unreasonable deadline is counterproductive, but as much as artists hate any deadline, it forces them to focus and create.

Can relate to what Axl went through because art is NEVER done and you can easily drive yourself batshit crazy obsessing over things and seeing it a thousand different ways to the point where you've lost all clear perspective. Hell, wouldn't surprise me if he was still tinkering with some of those "finished" CD tracks. It's the nature of the beast and without someone able to enforce a reasonable deadline, you can(and WILL) drive yourself to madness. Only gets worse and worse over time as you get more and more protective of your work and what you are doing--you dig in your heels and naturally assume nobody else "gets it". Hopefully he has someone in the band he has enough trust and respect for that can act as a true sounding board. That's invaluable.

Edited by Turn_It_Up

I think DJ Ashbar has superseded blabbermouth Bumblefoot as the no.1 GN'R blabbermouth member. Isn't that a sure way to get fired?

Drummer Brain turned into a blabbermouth the moment he was out of GN'R (although we still thought he was in (some still arn't sure)).

well, CD wasnt out at those times, and things where kinda heavy, with the record company, managers and some members of the band, kinda understand the "not talking" now, not at that time, but now, that time has passed, i see things other way... there is nothing to hide now... =)

I read an interview with DJ that GNR will do a US tour, but when who knows?

He also said Axl has enough new songs to do 2 more cds, but then again, will it ever happen who knows? I just know Axl and GNR don't have another 15 years to wait on another cd! lol

All nice and dandy that he talks, but goddamn, some people here are seriously deluded... I agree that it'll just cause a lot of negativity to keep saying it, but outright denying that this band runs very strange indeed is nothing but self deception from a fans point of view.

No band could ever operate like this without some major previous succes, the man didn't say shit that we didn't already know, and that was precious little to begin with.

And telling people who want MORE from this band that they are living in the past or that they are Slashites is just fucking mindblowingly stupid.

I read an interview with DJ that GNR will do a US tour, but when who knows?

@faldor htgth.com

Just saw this on twitter. Jim Koplik, concert promoter, says he expects GNR to play in CT by the end of the year. Nothing definitive of course, but promising nonetheless.

gunsnfnroses gunsnfnroses

by MackArillo

Possible U.S. dates?: Heard this the other day on WCCC in Connecticut. http://bit.ly/kcDmN9 #GunsNRoses

The discussion is kind of lengthy, the GNR part comes about 3/4 of the way through. Basically the concert promoter says he does believe GNR will play somewhere in Connecticut by the end of the year. And they discuss playing either the Mohegan Sun Arena, which seats around 10,000 or the Comcast Theater which seats around 6,000.