Have You Ever Met a New GNR Fan Outside of the Forums?

cancerface

have you ever met someone who's a fan of new guns n' roses outside of the forum world? like walking down the street, or at a shop or something. a random place -- like not outside of a gnr show, or not arranging to meet someone in public that you met on a forum. have you ever struck up a conversation with a random rock fan, and it turned out they knew who dj ashba, richard fortus and bbf were? have you ever met someone who actually owned chinese democracy and knew the songs on it?

i haven't, which is why i come to the forums to chat about gnr. because nobody i know or meet in the real world still follows guns n' roses as a current day band, even if they were huge fans of gnr back in the day. i'm wondering if it's maybe just where i live. are there other places that maybe seem more interested in the current state of gnr?

if you've met real life chinese democracy fans, please share your stories.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

more than i actually expected to be honest, even 2 or 3 that were actually fans of ron and tommy and became interested in guns n' roses through them. which is pretty cool if you ask me.

tommy has a pretty big fanbase, so does dj, and both ron and richard have a decent fanbase. and a lot of those fans started following the ''new'' guns n' roses because their ''idol'' joined that band

Guest siliconmessiah

No I haven´t.

That would probably change if they started to act more like a band and release music.

But...I guess that´s too much to ask.

Eh.

Guest Len B'stard

actually, no. I've got a Chi Dem T shirt that i wear to this day and i have a habit of stopping people in the street wearing Guns t shirts and going "well played, best band in the fuckin world" :lol: When Chi Dem came out i burned a copy for this one portuguese guy i know whoose a fan of Zep and of GnR and he said he didn't like it and it didn't sound like Guns n Roses and wasn't Guns n Roses without Slash. I made my sister listen to it and made my cousin buy a copy who said it was pretty good but he felt kinda short changed cuz we'd been listening to the leaks years beforehand. Years or months was it? Years i'm sure.

But yeah, everyone else i know just laughs when i try and like...espouse praise for NuGuns, i literally get something akin to shouted down. And this is even from like, 7 or 8 years ago it was the same, people made fun of me about it to be honest. Even back in the day like 94/95 when i started secondary school it was considered a joke to like Guns n Roses. I think i was one of only like, 3 fans there at all. All the other metaller types were heavy into grunge at that point and ripped the piss out of me mercilessly for liking Guns n Roses. In fact, now i think about it, i've always had a rough time of it being a Guns fan, even amongst fans of that kinda music.

True story if rather abhorrant one but you gotta remember i was 11 years old and she was 17...anyway the school bus is late and we're queuing outside the office to sign in late and go to class and i'm blathering on about Guns n Roses to one of the 2 other guys who liked that band in my school. Anyway, this 6th form girl, sorta smug and...uppity says something like, oh yeah, i know them, Guns n Roses yeah, i know their one song knock knock knockin on heavens door (she said it exactly like that, don't ask me why i remember) she's like, yeah, i have one of their albums, i listen to it when i want a headache...her and her two mates laughed. I thumped her on the tit...

Oh fuck off alright, i was only 11 :lol: Got in house suspension for that, clever lad that i was.

actually, no. I've got a Chi Dem T shirt that i wear to this day and i have a habit of stopping people in the street wearing Guns t shirts and going "well played, best band in the fuckin world" :lol: When Chi Dem came out i burned a copy for this one portuguese guy i know whoose a fan of Zep and of GnR and he said he didn't like it and it didn't sound like Guns n Roses and wasn't Guns n Roses without Slash. I made my sister listen to it and made my cousin buy a copy who said it was pretty good but he felt kinda short changed cuz we'd been listening to the leaks years beforehand. Years or months was it? Years i'm sure.

But yeah, everyone else i know just laughs when i try and like...espouse praise for NuGuns, i literally get something akin to shouted down. And this is even from like, 7 or 8 years ago it was the same, people made fun of me about it to be honest. Even back in the day like 94/95 when i started secondary school it was considered a joke to like Guns n Roses. I think i was one of only like, 3 fans there at all. All the other metaller types were heavy into grunge at that point and ripped the piss out of me mercilessly for liking Guns n Roses. In fact, now i think about it, i've always had a rough time of it being a Guns fan, even amongst fans of that kinda music.

True story if rather abhorrant one but you gotta remember i was 11 years old and she was 17...anyway the school bus is late and we're queuing outside the office to sign in late and go to class and i'm blathering on about Guns n Roses to one of the 2 other guys who liked that band in my school. Anyway, this 6th form girl, sorta smug and...uppity says something like, oh yeah, i know them, Guns n Roses yeah, i know their one song knock knock knockin on heavens door (she said it exactly like that, don't ask me why i remember) she's like, yeah, i have one of their albums, i listen to it when i want a headache...her and her two mates laughed. I thumped her on the tit...

Oh fuck off alright, i was only 11 :lol: Got in house suspension for that, clever lad that i was.

great story! thanks for sharing. did that girl change her mind about gnr after you punched her in the tits?

Guest Len B'stard
great story! thanks for sharing. did that girl change her mind about gnr after you punched her in the tits?

it wasn't even a punch man, it was like a weedy kids arm flail mis-hit :lol: It was a punch worth of Willie Pep by the time i got to the headmasters office though. And no, she didn't change her mind and that wasn't the point, i just didn't take kindly to being laughed at that age. The funny (and rather fitting postscript) part is she called her boyfriend from another school to "sort me out" and he nabs me by the shops just around the corner, grabs me by the collar and slams me up against the wall and looks at me, obviously petrified at this point, shaking and turns to his bird and goes something like, for fuckssake, he's just a kid and just gave me a clip round the head and left, which was actually more embarassing than getting beaten up would've been. Aww, thems was the days. And it's not a great story, it's a pretty pathetic episode in a less than intelligent 11 year olds life :lol:

Edited by sugaraylen

one time i saw a guy at an airport wearing a chinese democracy shirt. i asked him about it, and he said it was his little brother's shirt, but that he had to wear it today because he'd spilled something on his shirt on the way to the airport. he said he didn't even realize guns n' roses was still a band.

please stay on topic.. nambis, have you actually met any real life fans of new gnr? if so, please share. if not, find another thread to post in. i hear axl tweeted a picture of a cat.

GO AWAY PRICK, WHY ARE YOU EVEN HERE? :fuckyou: AND MODS, WHY ARE YOU LETTING YOUR FORUM GO TO HELL LIKE THIS? seriously. i thought that someone affiliated with the band started paying the bills around here, but now i'm starting to think it was some giant trollface with an ax to grind...

hey, by all means feel free to post about all the times you guys have run into fans of chinese democracy outside of the forums. sorry if that hasn't happened in your life so far. but hang in there. maybe things will change whenever they get around to posting a video on youtube.

Edited by cancerface

hey, by all means feel free to post about all the times you guys have run into fans of chinese democracy outside of the forums. sorry if that hasn't happened in your life so far. but hang in there. maybe things will change whenever they get around to posting a video on youtube.

RIR 2011 is sold out. I'm sure none of them like Chinese Democracy :rofl-lol:

once again, since you still haven't seemed to be able to understand the question posed in my original post -- I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT RUNNING INTO THE BAND'S FANS AT A CONCERT. yes, it's so retardedly obvious that you could meet another fan at a concert, that i'm not even curious if it could happen.

i'm asking about random places... while you're out to dinner, have you ever overheard another table talking about chinese democracy? have you ever heard it blasting out of another car at a stop light? have you ever heard anyone in the park talking about dj ashba? someone you don't know.. someone you haven't already told about chinese democracy. have you ever just ran into someone who was like, 'ooooh i love new guns n' roses! chinese democracy rules!'

one guy posted a story about a girl picking on him for liking gnr, but that's not quite what i'm talking about either. she was picking on him for liking gnr, but didn't know about chinese democracy. she only knew the cover of knockin' on heavens door.

Edited by cancerface

Met jordan rose out in a pub in Nottingham one night, got talking about Iron Maiden i think as i waswearing a shirt, then we got talking about other bands then mentioned we both had GN'R bootlegs from the canada shows, (this was last year), and got talking about new gn'r and other bands and stuff we like, and have kept in touch

Met one member from newgnr.com once out in a rock club in Nottingham because she recognised me from the 'what do you look like' thread, and we've kept in touch

But yeah, try attending gigs, you'll find thousands :tongue2:

Edited by seely

SEElLY... yeah, but again, those are examples of arranging to meet someone from the forum in real life. not quite what i'm talking about here. i'm asking if you've met any person randomly in public -- not a fan at a concert, and not a fan you know from the internet -- who likes chinese democracy or follows the new band. just like someone passing by that you've never met before and you'll probably never see again.

Edited by cancerface

I haven't heard a new GNR song on the radio for at least 2 years.

where have you been living man? under a rock?

I'm from Poland and I heard 'Better' many, many times on the radio. And not only on rock station, it was also in a charts top ten of one public radio channel for quite some time.

I remember also 'Chinese Democracy' (song) played a few times.

Edited by DrDrei

RIR 2011 is sold out. I'm sure none of them like Chinese Democracy :rofl-lol:

once again, since you still haven't seemed to be able to understand the question posed in my original post -- I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT RUNNING INTO THE BAND'S FANS AT A CONCERT. yes, it's so retardedly obvious that you could meet another fan at a concert, that i'm not even curious if it could happen.

i'm asking about random places... while you're out to dinner, have you ever overheard another table talking about chinese democracy? have you ever heard it blasting out of another car at a stop light? have you ever heard anyone in the park talking about dj ashba? someone you don't know.. someone you haven't already told about chinese democracy. have you ever just ran into someone who was like, 'ooooh i love new guns n' roses! chinese democracy rules!'

one guy posted a story about a girl picking on him for liking gnr, but that's not quite what i'm talking about either. she was picking on him for liking gnr, but didn't know about chinese democracy. she only knew the cover of knockin' on heavens door.

DUDE gigs are the real world with real people!!!!

And when I go out to dinner I don't start asking everyone if they like chinese democracy :rofl-lol:

let me give you an example of what i'm talking about.... the other day, i was at a shop when paradise city came on the radio. this led to a conversation between me and a fellow shopper about how we liked that song and were big fans of guns n' roses when we were kids.

has something like that ever happened with chinese democracy? have you ever met someone randomly in public who knew who bumblefoot was? AGAIN, NOT A FAN AT A CONCERT AND NOT SOMEONE YOU MET ONLINE AND ARRANGED TO MEET IN PUBLIC.

SEElLY... yeah, but again, those are examples of arranging to meet someone from the forum in real life. not quite what i'm talking about here. i'm asking if you've met any person randomly in public -- not a fan at a concert, and not a fan you know from the internet -- who likes chinese democracy or follows the new band. just like someone passing by that you've never met before and you'll probably never see again.

No, I met these people out randomly, neither of them I knew to be from the forums. It was only when we met we found out we in fact were.

Or do people on the forums not exist in real life to you?

Guest Len B'stard
And when I go out to dinner I don't start asking everyone if they like chinese democracy

i might :unsure::lol:

I have never met a new GNR fan outside these forums. I haven't heard a new GNR song on the radio for at least 2 years. I haven't heard anyone mention any new band members of new GNR.

Same here.

Nugnr fans are as rare as Bigfoot in my life.

First off, that whole "people must love nuguns! Look at all of the people going to their shows" doesn't really work for me. The majority of people are going to hear the songs that made gnr stars, and unfornately, this is the only way they can with axls voice behind the microphone. No I don't have documented proof mr. Nitpickys, but at this point, Id say its beyond obvious. And no, I've never heard anyone talk about nuguns except in the negative light. And I've NEVER, EVER have heard ANYONE outside these forums say they like nu better than old. That's why I'm usually baffled by these forums. Now, deflect your anger and call me a cupcake.

thanks for your honest reply! yeah, they'll probably get angry at you. but if you'll notice, they haven't posted stories about meeting strangers they get to talk about new gnr with. clearly these guys have a lot of passion for this band, and the sad reality of gnr's present state means they'll probalby never have the simple gratification of getting to talk to someone about their favorite band -- and that's a gratification that fans of other bands (especially old gnr) can sometimes take for granted. so maybe the reason they get so violently aggressive in defending what they perceive as "their" community is because it's literally all they have.

not sure. just speculation. i smoked some weed and got thoughtful for a second. but i could be wrong. maybe at different times of day, we'll get some posters from other countries who may have had different experiences from whoever's posting now.

let's hear some more stories of meeting fans of new gnr.

Edited by cancerface

Hook, line, and sinker!

Where some people lead troops into a thought-out strategic battle, others analyse chess boards for the perfect tactics, and philosophers think out the key issues of the day..you spend your intellect causing people to take your 'bait' on an online forum. The bats in your cave must be so proud of you :thumbsup: